Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Interview with LavenderHere

April 17th, 2022

Interview with LavenderHere

Interviewer: @Izzy274
Interviewee: @LavenderHere

Izzy: Lavender has been a listener here since August 2020, and in that time they have been an amazing part of our community, through helping to lead the Care Team and Listener Verifier’s team, as well as mentoring new listeners and being a consistent friendly face in the chatrooms. They have also constantly worked to be a supportive, kind presence to both listeners and members 💜.

Izzy: Hiya Lav, thank you for agreeing to do this interview with me and taking the time to answer our questions!

Lav: Woah that's an awesome intro, I'm flattered hehe. Thank you so so much for interviewing me hehe. And of course, looking forward to what this lovely interview has in store for us!

• Here’s an icebreaker to start: Since we really enjoyed reading your glass jokes, what is your favourite joke to tell?

Lav: Woah you remember the glass jokes thread- yay. And I'd have to think a bit…*racks my head* So this is one of my all-time favourites, a chemistry joke hehe

xn0_X6ASpJ45GWQDdA1Uh-9fCy5iwoPJY-mZduRJdWjlov2sQLlWevv1GKB596nfJLIw0N0MEM0mDhVfGc6-0h6B-msWQYxn1G1kN8pKvzjktMSFeLbvG1bebB3Mzt6Ti-0u7EywEfxmWcTsSX9JkH2oqlSEAKC28WlDgXVxtM_CTunmG6N0ohLqWgyaEZ3mO0oR2W5rXiyqJuKNHG6K2tytN6AfwZadExpRvfc72IRfW2kDz77dJMUiXxZaTD7ts74Z820vNFxEWZO-

• What led you to begin your journey as a listener on 7 cups?

Lav: Okay my answer to this one is a story common to many many lovely listeners here but I'll say it anyway- I got great support here as a member during hard times, and that motivated me to sign up as a listener and support others. I've always wanted to volunteer and help others, so here I am.

• What inspired you to become a leader within the 7 cups community?

Lav: Woah that's a difficult one. Umm honestly it sort of just happened hehe. Frankly speaking I didn't exactly intend to be a leader, or plan or work towards it. It kind of happened, that's how life often is. Things just sort of happen, life brings new paths you haven't imagined yourself in. I just wanted to be a friendly face that listeners can reach out to if they need help, and I still try to help out wherever possible, and I am really happy for all the opportunities and learnings here.

• What has been your favourite part about being a listener on 7 cups so far?

Lav: My favourite part is being able to help someone. Be it helping someone get verified, supporting someone as a CS/PS or simply listening to members in the PMs or forums, the fact that I could ease someone’s difficulties even a bit makes me happy, and that’s my favourite part about being a listener here.
And I love being on 7cups and doing stuff here…ok *stops being diplomatic* My favourite part is supporting and listening to members in forums or PMs (sometimes rooms too).

• Do you have any tips/ words for newbie listeners starting out on 7 cups?

Lav: For new listeners, me has one important thing to tell (which I didn't know when new) that there is an entire listener community out there to support you. Most listeners you meet here have gone through a time of not knowing what they are doing, feeling unprepared and lost, and each one of us understands how you feel. We have trained leaders and mentors here to help you. So if you are having a hard time here as a listener, please don't hesitate to reach out, we are all here for you. We all are always happy to help you in any way we can.

• What skills and qualities do you think being a listener on 7 cups has helped you to develop?

Lav: Being a listener has made me become more introspective and empathetic, which is very important in maintaining interpersonal relationships. I also learnt the different types of boundaries, and their importance as well as how to be assertive (not aggressive but assertive) about them. Though admittedly I still need to work on being more assertive hehe. But that's okay, what matters is we're working to help others and ourselves, we learn and grow and support each other together.

• One final question for you Lav: What are the challenges you have faced as a leader on 7 cups and how have you overcome them? :)

Lav: One big challenge I faced when I got into leadership roles was being carried away. It's very easy to take on too much, very easy to lose focus of what you want to do, easy to mess up your priorities. There's so much to do and lots of excitement, but it is important to focus on yourself and your offline life too.

I worked on them by recalculating time commitments and priorities, checking my capacity to do stuff and stepping down here accordingly. I also reevaluated my interests here and checked if my roles were really helping me meet them, and am I actually doing each role with the dedication and time it deserves.

Note to all- It is always always alright to reevaluate and rethink roles and figure out what you want.

For example, my major interests are in the quality domain and member support (in all parts of the site) so I have taken on roles accordingly.

If you are unsure what to do, you can take roles here and there, try out and follow what you love, but remember your time commitments. Everyone you're donating your time here, it means a lot but please budget your time properly (since time is money hehe)

Izzy: Thank you for sharing your answers Lav, it has been an amazing experience to understand your passions and growth as a leader, and a real inspiration to chat with you about your leadership roles.

Lav: Thank you so so much Izzy for preparing these lovely questions and interviewing me. I'm honoured to be a part of this program. Also one big thank you to @Fristo for organising the living with leaders initiative.

Living with Leaders Interviews Taglist: @rrretsuko @Smilingfuture @blindHeart12 @HealingTalk @blissfulForest7074 @FallenStarss @Moonlemon48 @Izzy274 @Zahraa000 @imaginativePear6493 @BeautifulSun298501 @ShapeshiftSystem @EmmaE @GoldenRuleJG @Helgafy @AveryLove @Adeline12345 @WhiteRoses25 @KrystalRose01 @ouiCherie @Brightfuture82 @MilaAvery @lovelyWaterfall2170 @DLynn88911221 @adventurousBranch3786 @Prachi9876 @VaryingCloud @DonaldDraper @Erato @avasoftandsimple @Zarram77 @TheAutumnWitch @HealingBrokenWIngs

This interview is part of the Living with Leaders Interview Series. Learn about the series here

lovelyWaterfall2170 April 17th, 2022

@Fristo 💕

Thanks for tagging me in :) This was an amazing interview:)

@Izzy274 : your questions were amazing as thier were just thier to get the insight of a Listener mindset :)

@LavenderHere :) your answers were amazing with good set of examples of drawing's

All the best for your future journey 💗 with cups :)

Congratulations 🎉 to both of you 💕

Thanks And Regards

🙏 :)

LavenderHere April 24th, 2022

@lovelyWaterfall2170 Thank you soo much for your response and I am glad you liked the little drawings. And aww good luck to you too for all that lies ahead, keep being awesome!

Zahraa000 April 17th, 2022

This was amazing interview 🌻❤️

@Zahraa000 I am glad to hear that you found it amazing, thank you so much for responding!

GoldenRuleJG April 17th, 2022

@Fristo

izzy and lav nice interview ☺️Thanks for sharing it!

@GoldenRuleJG yay Golden I'm glad to hear you liked the interview!!!

Izzy274 April 17th, 2022

@Fristo thank you for everything you do for the living with leaders series, it was a great experience to be able to interview someone!

@LavenderHere Thank you for writing such amazinggg answers to my questions! It was so great to read about your experiences as a leader here :) And yay thank you for the chemistry puns! Haha the casualdehyde one is actually in my chemistry classroom :o. It was awesome reading your tips for new listeners as well, they were super insightful!

@Izzy274 Izzyyyyyy I am so happy to answer that, it was very insightful and made me really think and reflect, it's a good exercise and the questions were well framed. I encourage everyone reading this to try to answer the questions above<3

And wait how did you know I copied it from your class? (jk but it's a cool coincidence hehe)
ouiCherie April 17th, 2022

@Fristo @Izzy274 @LavenderHere lovely interview, guys! 🤗

Lav, excellent point there! There are many interesting things to do and to help here, but to do everything may not helping ourselves 🤍 all the best for your journey!

@ouiCherie Thank you so much for responding and yessss doing everything is the road to burnout. So I try to keep track and I encourage everyone to keep track too. And 7Cups is a very fun place to be hehe

Tracey12345 April 18th, 2022

Interesting to resd this interview 😊

@Tracey12345 thank you so much for your response, I'm glad to hear that!

SkylarListens April 18th, 2022

@Izzy274 - truly wonderful interview, and @LavenderHere truly is a great leader!

@SkylarListens aww thank you so much, glad you liked the interview and you're very awesome too!

Sunisshiningandsoareyou April 18th, 2022

Thanks for posting, @Fristo ❤

Hey Izzy, it's been a while since I've seen you around, I hope you're doing well. Thankyou for conducting this fabulous interview, @Izzy274 ❤

@LavenderHere

Lavvv hey hey, nice to see you around spreading your wisdom and knowledge cookies lol. I could relate with so many things, specially the "never intended to be a leader, that sort of just happened xD" (look at us now lmao 🦥) either way, you're right, that's just how life is and I'm glad things happened as they did, as you are here now shining bright as ever. 💜

Thankyou for being super dedicated in fostering a supportive space in the 7 cups community, you truly do lots for this huuuge place and we adore you for being so committed and passionate, and ofcourse, your cheery self, love 'em glass jokes smh and the chemistry ones too xD xD Andddd, I love that emphasis on regular evaluations with ourselves, it does help to introspect our "whys" of joining something and to prioritize off cups life and our wellbeing over everything else.

Sending big hugs and loads of cookies your way, thankyou for being fabulousness personified, you are so very appreciated. 💜

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou Spreading knowledge and cookies lol *brings cookies*

And aaah so you're an unexpected leader too? Lol good to see you help out sooo much. Shining ussss
*has no clue how to respond to so many sweet compliments* bringing lotssssss of thank you cookies hehe
You're very very sweet and helpful too, thank you for being here and doing alllll you do<3
Sunisshiningandsoareyou April 24th, 2022

@LavenderHere

Kinda yes lol anddd yayy cookies are the best *shares with you and nom nom* ❤ thankyou for the kind words too, Lav, much appreciated.

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou yay for leadership and cookies *noms and shares*

HealingBrokenWIngs April 18th, 2022

@LavenderHere

Wonderful interview!!!! <3

@HealingBrokenWIngs aww thank you soooo much, glad to hear you liked it!

soulsings April 19th, 2022

Thanks @izzy and @LavenderHere for the interview. Fascinating to read about others experiences.

@Fristo

@soulsings thank you so much for responding, and I agree it's always wonderful to share our experiences and learn from each other<3

Thank you soooooooooooo much everyone for your supportive replies. I had been on self care from forums for a while and returning today, so happy to see this. I hope the interview helped you in some way or the other<3

Also one big thank you to @Izzy274 and @Fristo for making this interview possible<3 It is an absolute honour<3