Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to Help a Partner Living With Depression

innateJoy9602 October 27th, 2022

“Whether they are coping with seasonal symptoms or chronic depression, here’s how to offer love and understanding while still caring for yourself.

Cultivate curiosity about your partner’s experience.

When your partner is in pain, you may feel an urge to dive right in and tell them what you think is happening. But try to lead by asking questions. Ask your partner how they are feeling. Tell them you’d like to understand more about what they’re going through.

If your partner is defensive, try a strategy known as “reflective listening.” For instance, if you ask your loved one how they are feeling and they tell you they are fine and there is nothing wrong, you respond with something along the lines of: “What you’re telling me is that there’s nothing wrong, is that correct? Can I tell you what I’ve noticed?”

If you make an effort to lead with questions rather than rushing to share your opinion, your partner is more likely to feel heard and valued, not judged.

Acknowledge your own limitations.

To help a loved one get diagnosis and treatment, you can call potential providers and set up appointments, or compile a list of clinicians for them to contact. But experts say it is also important to remember that you cannot force anyone to get help, and that pushing too hard can backfire.

Partners who put too much care-taking responsibility on themselves are also often overcome with feelings of guilt and shame when they are unable to fix the problem.

Prioritize your own mental health.

Romantic partners can affect each other’s health and health-related behaviors in ways good and bad. If you’re living with somebody who is depressed and feeling helpless — and oftentimes doesn’t want to get help — then you can start to feel depressed and helpless. It is imperative that you support your own mental health.

Make time for things you enjoy.

Simply getting out of the house for a bit and making time for the activities you enjoy can help protect your own emotional well being when your partner is struggling. Spend time outside in nature, get involved in some form of advocacy or move your body. Research has shown, for instance, that jogging for 15 minutes a day, or doing less strenuous exercise like walking or gardening for an hour, may have a protective effect against depression.”

Read the full article on The New York Times

_1666906387.image.png

Takeaway: There are methods to support your partner while still taking care of yourself when they are battling depression. As much as you want to help, know that there are limitations. Partners who take on too much of the caregiving are frequently overtaken with feelings of guilt and shame when they are unable to solve the issue. So, remember to look after yourself as well.

Reflection: Do you or have you ever had difficulties helping a partner or anyone with depression?

#MentalHealth #Depression #Family #Relationships #Caring #Self-Care

Josh3889 October 28th, 2022

@innateJoy9602

I can't relate to having depression or anyone in my life however this was a great read with great ideas, I will be sharing this.

innateJoy9602 OP October 28th, 2022

@Josh3889

That's great to hear though! Appreciate you as always josh! Thanks for reading!💛💫

alvinarose November 2nd, 2022

Thanks for sharing this. I really like it because it is good for those who are suffering from depression. To overcome depression in a great way there are therapists in our society who offer physical as well as online therapy in California for the benefit of those who are suffering from mental health issues.

innateJoy9602 OP November 2nd, 2022

@alvinarose

Appreciate you reading!💜

pandanfe November 2nd, 2022

@innateJoy9602

Thank you for sharing this article with us. This was really helpful 😊

innateJoy9602 OP November 2nd, 2022

@pandanfe

Appreciate you reading! :)💜

tealLion9329 November 15th, 2022

@innateJoy9602 Yes I have. I have a friend from high school who suffers from mental illness and I honestly haven't seen him in several years now but he went thru some very heavy depression for a good while and the only way that I could talk to him was thru letters. so we'd write back and forth. He is very special to me even if he has forgotten who I am now, but no matter how hard it was to help him out of it I can proudly say that I saved him from trying to end his life. Trying to save someone from wanting to end everything only thru letter writing I think is the most difficult thing because your relying on that letter getting to them in time... all of your faith goes into that letter that you put in the mail box everyday. not only that you have to have full trust and faith that they've read it and will respond. so yeah. its hard but my experience was extremely rewarding

innateJoy9602 OP November 15th, 2022

@tealLion9329

Wow. Letters are a great way to reach out to people. It's very great of you were able to get in touch with him. It's very nice that you were able to help him during a dark place in his life. You're truly a gem!💜

delightfulUnicorn38 August 13th

@innateJoy9602 

I have read your post and the article , it was so useful, thank you 😀

innateJoy9602 OP August 14th

@delightfulUnicorn38

Yay! Glad you found it helpful! 💗🤗