Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Can Gaming Be Healthy?

innateJoy9602 December 18th, 2022

Here’s why gaming can actually be healthy if played properly.

Gaming has initially been seen as a leisure activity or a source of entertainment in general. However, later it was proven to have cognitive benefits for regular players. Research into gaming is active.

One of the cognitive benefits of gaming is the improvement of problem-solving skills.

Multiple games require players to think critically and devise creative solutions to overcome specific challenges.

Problem-solving skills are essential for many aspects of life, including academic and professional settings. For example, students who play strategic games may perform better on school tests that require problem-solving skills.

Similarly, professionals who play games that require problem-solving may be more equipped to handle complex tasks and challenges in the workplace.

Spatial awareness is another cognitive skill that can be improved through gaming.

Many games, particularly strategy games, require players to visualize and manipulate objects in three-dimensional space.

These skills are also valuable for everyday tasks such as reading maps and navigating unfamiliar environments.

Decision-making is another important cognitive skill that can be improved through gaming.

Many games require players to make quick decisions based on limited information, which can help to improve decision-making skills in real-life situations.

In addition to these cognitive benefits, gaming has also been shown to have a positive impact on mental health. Research has shown that playing games can reduce stress and improve mood by providing a sense of accomplishment and giving a break from daily life’s pressure.

Gaming can also provide a sense of social connection

As many games can be played with friends or online with other players.

This social aspect of gaming can be particularly beneficial for individuals who may be isolated or have difficulty forming social connections.”

Read the full article on Medium

_1671402792.image.png

Takeaway: Originally, gaming was viewed as a form of entertainment or a recreational activity. However, it was discovered that regular gamers experience cognitive advantages. There is ongoing research into gaming. For instance, research has demonstrated that some gaming genres can enhance cognitive abilities including problem-solving, spatial awareness, and decision-making.

Reflection: What’s your favorite video game?

#Games #Hobbies #Interest #MentalHealth #Health #Wellbeing #Social

tommy December 21st, 2022

@innateJoy9602

I think everything can be healthy in moderation!

I don't actually game much at all... the most I game is probably candy crush or some other random iPhone app!

innateJoy9602 OP December 21st, 2022

@Obstruct

True! Moderation and a healthy balance are key. I’ve never gotten into candy crush. Maybe I should try it!💜

pinkWalker7121 November 26th, 2023

@innateJoy9602mummy plays hayday on her iPad. It’s fun!!!

intelligentClementine7876 December 21st, 2022

@innateJoy9602

I also agree that gaming can be beneficial. My favorite game is valorant! It's a nice treat after a long day. its almost like a de-stressor haha.

@intelligentClementine7876

Ahh it's great that you've found a de-stressor! I have a few friends who play that game, I should check it out. I just get bored so so easily...

computer-games.gif

@intelligentClementine7876

I watch streamers play valorant, but I’ve never tried it myself. I definitely should though. Seems so fun.💜

@innateJoy9602

I've watched lots of streamers play GTA FiveM - it looks great but not good enough for me to buy a whole gaming PC for haha!!!

@Obstruct

Wait!! I’ve been watching it so much too!!!! I even looked into downloading it yesterday. But, I need to convince myself I will actually play it often before I buy it lol.

@innateJoy9602

Small world!! Is it the police one you've been watching? Where they talk to one another and roleplay on a GTA server?

It looks like great fun I'm just not sure I'd love it enough to warrant the big spend. I don't have a gaming pc/console etc as I never game!!

@Obstruct

Yepp! That's the one. I don't know why but I feel like it would be such a laugh. It seems like a fun way to pass some extra time. I don't have a gaming pc but my pc seems to handle other games I've downloaded well and the game itself is around twenty dollars, so I may have to get it as a Christmas present to myself. Maybe this is a sign. At least I'm telling myself that :P

@innateJoy9602

It does look like fun! You'll have to let me know if you decide to play it or not. Sounds good about treating yourself!! I'd deffo look into it but I've got a mac so no chance of it working :(

Maybe I'll go and use a friends PC to play... 😂

Snor1ax June 18th, 2023

@tommy Hey Tommy! Sorry for hijacking this thread. I am skilled with computers but don't use a Mac. Instead, I prefer my ROG Zephyrus G14 (2022) gaming laptop, which is a beast for both school and gaming. However, just recently at WWDC, while everyone was swooning over the Vision Pro, Apple released their Game Porting Toolkit, which is the first real step to fixing Mac gaming. GTA V with the M2 Max can run at about 30 FPS (possibly pushed to 60 FPS with some low graphics tinkering), which is a big improvement over the stagnant, non-existent FPS, crashes, and file system corruption with previous tools that needed a virtual machine like Bootcamp or Parallels to get Windows onto your Mac and run it from there.

It's still in its infancy so you do need some terminal commands to install Homebrew (installs the stuff you need that Apple didn't), the toolkit, and Steam/Battle.net/GOG etc. which can be found here. If you're interested in quick overview, I highly recommden Dave2D's video here. Many DirectX12 games run on the toolkit, but some require tweaking to get started. Please let me know if you need any help with those. However, some games, including Apex, Valorant, and Warzone that need anti-cheat software, will not make it past the menus for now :(

Snor1ax June 19th, 2023

@innateJoy9602 Feel free to DM me if you need help optimizing your PC with higher-end games! My experience comes from about 6 years of using an HP laptop with an i5 processor launched in 2013 and integrated graphics before I got my gaming laptop.

Snor1ax June 19th, 2023

@intelligentClementine7876 That's definitely interesting. I mostly find competitive FPS to be more of a fun way to connect with friends and make up new-fangled insults and memories of throwing rounds that will be remembered for weeks, but it's definitely not a de-stressor at times with the amount of toxic Reyna mains and days where my K/D is worse than my chances of getting in a relationship.

Cant stop playing it though

Tnfkdg June 18th, 2023

Hi everyone. I see you talking about games. If you want to play an interesting game, then I advise you to download week 7 fnf to your device. This is an interesting game you can play just for fun. So if you want to play an interesting game, then I advise you to download Friday Night Funkin to your device.Goodbye

pinkWalker7121 November 26th, 2023

@innateJoy9602 I want to get back into gaming. I love the Nintendo Wii  🥳🥳🥳