Wandering, wondering

Why

Everything

That is alive

Eventually gets

Wrinkles, crinkles

More leaves to play in

slowdecline48 March 28th, 2023

Minimalistic, & nicely done. Congrats on getting it published!

This poem would be great for calligraphy...

calmAngel5296 OP March 29th, 2023

@slowdecline48

That is a great idea!

slowdecline48 April 2nd, 2023

Glad you like the idea. It occurred to me less than a minute after reading. 😄

I'm practicing my hand lettering these days (thus the idea)...I won't render your poem without your permission first. If I do it & post it, I would only post it in 7Cups. You would get credit, too...I'd put your name in the post somewhere. What do you think?

ArianKae April 2nd, 2023

@slowdecline48

This makes me want to practice calligraphy with random poetry now!!!

ArianKae April 2nd, 2023

@slowdecline48

Do you practice calligraphy? If so, any tips for someone who was interested in starting as a hobby?

slowdecline48 April 4th, 2023

@ArianKae A bit, yeah. I don't do it often enough.

If you want to get started, don't buy dip nibs/dipping pens...those take too much time for a beginner. You should only buy dip nibs (& a "staff" to hold one) if you get serious about calligraphy. Reloadable pens that you don't have to dip or load with a brush are best for beginners. The best tool to start with, IMHO, is a Parallel Pilot reloadable pen. Those have broad chisel-shaped nibs ("points:) & take cartridges, so you can work on your letterforms without have to stop & dip the pen in an inkwell. I'd say the 2.4mm nib size is a good all-around tool for anyone who's getting started. I have three of different nib sizes & would not do without them. Art supply places like Jerry's Artarama & *** Blick should have them. If you want to save money & have sufficiently steady hands, instead of tossing old cartridges once they're empty, keep them & buy a bottle of ink. You can pour ink into the empty cartridge, then put it inside the pen. Parallel Pilot cartridges are plastic but are also sturdy, for small plastic components. They make great ink reservoirs. If you do this, however, do not buy India ink. That will clog the pen. India ink is purely for dip nibs...very old-school.

You can also find lettering guides. There are plenty of "hand lettering 101" books to help you get started. The best one I ever saw was Foundations of Calligraphy by Sheila Waters, but that one is out of print now...if you find a used copy it'll cost a fortune. Just search for calligraphy books on Amazon or Bookshop; you shouldn't have any trouble finding one.

The best "hand" (in the printing world it would be called a font) for beginners is Foundational hand. It's the most basic hand there is; the letters are modern & have majuscules & miniscules (upper- & lower-case letters). Once you're good at writing in Foundational hand, almost any other hand will be easy to learn. Please do not start off learning to write in Blackletter, Carolingian or any other historic hand, no matter how tempting that may be. Starting off in a more exotic or old-fashioned hand might feel more impressive but you will have added difficulty learning other letterforms as a result.

Yes, the Internet has a lot of resources. You can always go to "YouTube University" & learn that way; there are plenty of how-to videos for calligraphy & almost anything else. The problem is that watching videos can be addictive, which will cut into your practice time. YT vids are okay, but I suggest you make a calligraphy book your primary reference. Any decent one will show you how to hold the pen correctly, Foundational hand & a few other hands, etc.

ArianKae April 4th, 2023

@slowdecline48

Wow, Very informative! Thank you very much! I feel very inspired and motivated now.

slowdecline48 April 5th, 2023

Excellent. If I can help another artist along her path, then I've done some good in this world.

The website here censored one of the supplier names (understandably, in this case) so I'll just link it for you: Pilot pens

Also this --> a basic manual

Good luck, & show us your stuff!

SleepyShyCat March 28th, 2023

@calmAngel5296

Love this! 😺

@SleepyShyCat

Thank you :)

Humanthing March 28th, 2023

@calmAngel5296

wow spoke to my soul

@Humanthing

Awww, that means a lot, as a poet, I write to connect to other souls :)

empathicPanda9436 March 29th, 2023

this is so pure my heart felt every line 😌

@empathicPanda9436

Gosh, that warms my heart! Thank you for your feedback, it is the best thing a poet can receive

ArianKae April 2nd, 2023

@calmAngel5296

I love it!

calmAngel5296 OP April 3rd, 2023

Thank you so very much🙂