Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav
Community /

Young People of Color

Create a New Thread
Gif Photo Link
Young People of Color Automated Taglist - NEW!
by tommy
Last post
March 2nd
...See more Welcome to the Young People of Color Taglist This thread is an auto-updating list. The list is regularly updated by forum leaders and can be found below. Having issues? Reply to this thread and someone will help you! Why should I join the taglist? ✔ Never miss out on sub-community check-ins, discussions or events ✔ Get tagged and notified by community leaders whenever a new relevant thread has been posted ✔ Become a more active member of the community. What do I need to do? ✅ To add yourself to this taglist, press the Post to Thread button below and write the exact words Please add me. ❌ To remove yourself from this taglist, press the Post to Thread button below and write the exact words Please remove me. ------------------------- Current taglist as of 17th June (updated by @tommy) @FaithfulZareia @Littlerose00 @SherweetSherif97 @SirenOfSerenity @theboymoana @tommy
how to cope w/ family members , racial + gender identity and faith
by iheartbrandy
Last post
September 25th, 2023
...See more tw // mentions of h0m0ph0b1a , r4c1sm , and religion hello , i ‘ m a 16 year old black demigirl — but i come from a conservative , black evangelical family from the south i ‘ ve been feeling so conflicted with myself for a while now , since 2021 when i began to become more conscious and self aware with my black identity my grandma is a very religious pastor in the christian faith and also rooted in black conservatism — i want to tell her soo badly that conservatism is rooted in lots of bigotry yet i know she ‘ s far off from even listening to what i have to say . often times i would find myself having panic attacks ( excuse me if im using the wrong term !! ) during september of last year because of because of a lot of end time theories — along with the euphrates river beginning to dry , a lot of that sent me into a spiral and i would often times have to calm my breathing because it was so nerve wracking thankfully my mom who is a psychologist was able to support me a tiny bit , but i feel as if she ‘ s still being manipulated by my grandma fast forward many months — i ‘ m still struggling with my grandma ‘ s bigotry , the anxiety of end times theology , my faith , and myself as a black demigirl i ‘ d really appreciate some advice as of now , tysm 4 reading :)
Heterogeneous thyroid, painful lymphnodes
by lazyjanesdiary
Last post
February 6th, 2023
...See more I'd like to have a thyroid chat if someone with experience can listen , I have an endocrinologist at the end of this month, I'm not trying to speculate or diagnose just would like to hear of other people's misdiagnosis or diagnosis stories and experiences , wether their drs listened or completely ignored them, how they went with meds etc symptoms...the whole shebang ....thyroid talk :) Help :)
Saying Goodbye: Celebrating 7 Years of YPOC
by TheSteveFundYPOC
Last post
August 1st, 2022
...See more Hello Everyone, Today marks my last day as community manager for 7Cups YPOC. It has taken me some time to put together this post, but here it goes. Over the past seven years, we have grown this community from 0 community members to over 8,000 members. Over the years, we have had many conversations in weekly sessions, in my PMs, and on the forums. I started managing this community with little knowledge, and you all have taught me so much over the years. You have made this community what it is and been the bright spot in my weeks over the past seven years. I have listened to you all and had the privilege of watching you all help our community grow. There were countless times when I asked you all for ideas and conversations you would like to see happening here. You all, without hesitation, shared your thoughts and challenged me to improve this community. Over the years, we have collaborated with other subcommunities and increased our visibility here on 7 Cups. As some of the members that have been here for a while, we worked hard to carve out a space here for young people of color and even changed our name (from People of Color to Young People of Color). We have had countless people support our platform over the years. I want to thank everyone who has helped me, from chats to posting forum topics. I have spoken about the great work we do here across the USA. I am so honored to have been able to support and grow this community alongside you over the past seven years. I also want to shout out to all of the people who worked with me throughout the past seven years, @aeris156, for their support over the last two years and, of course, @Tazzie for being by my side from the beginning. I know all great things come to an end, and as my time here as a community manager has set. I am eternally grateful to each of you who have made this community a brave space for us to discuss mental and emotional well-being for young people of color. I wanted to leave you all with a few thoughts: * You deserve a space to be able to speak bravely and openly, even if your voice quivers. * All of your identities are important and have a special place here at YPOC. * Your presence here has made a brave space for someone to share their thoughts on the challenges young people of color face. * I hope you hold your head up a little higher each day because of your contribution to this space. * Although I have never met you in person, you have changed me forever. Thank you to @7Cups for giving the YPOC a home. Thank you to The Steve Fund for supporting this brave space for the past seven years and for the work you will do here in the future. Finally, thank you all for choosing YPOC as a place to share your thoughts, tell your stories and make an imprint on someone’s life. Until next time, Kimson
Talking with friends about mental health
by TheSteveFundYPOC
Last post
July 31st, 2022
...See more How have your friends shown up for you during tough times? How have your friends shown up for you during great times?
Talking to Your Family About Mental Health
by TheSteveFundYPOC
Last post
July 30th, 2022
...See more " A child's mental health is just as important as their physical health"- Kate Middleton Talking about mental health with your family can either be a great growth experience or a challenging experience. Talking about mental health with your family is important as they may be able to provide you the support you need. Sometimes sharing our mental health challenges with our family can feel like a weight has been lifted off of us. However, it may feel very stressful to begin a conversation with our loved ones. Here are are few things to consider before talking to your family about your mental health : 1) Take a moment to write down your thoughts and how you are feeling 2) Share what it means to open up to them in your own words 3) Prepare yourself for different types of reactions or responses (ex: supportive, having a hard time understanding or not supportive) 4) Practice what you would like to say in the mirror if you are feeling nervous 5) Pick a time and space that works for you to share your news 6) Let your family know how they can be supportive 7) Seek out other supportive people to be in your corner (ex: people to practice your conversation with or people who have been a great sounding board) What have you found helpful when talking to your family about mental health? What have you not found helpful when talking to your family about mental health?
Break The Stigma: May is Mental Health Awareness Month Announcement
by TheSteveFundYPOC
Last post
May 16th, 2022
...See more Mental health… is not a destination but a process. It’s about how you drive, not where you’re going. -Noam Shpancer Talking about mental health in communities of color is the main focus of our community here. Over the next few weeks we will be talking about the importance of mental health in communities of color. We hope you will join us in our conversation about mental health. Over the next few weeks, we will be discussing: * Talking about mental health within communities of color * Talking with friends about mental health * Talking with family about mental health * Seeking help for mental health Although May is Mental Health Awareness Month, we know it is important to talk about mental health everyday. We look forward to connecting with you and hearing your thoughts. What is one thing you would like to work on during the month of May to improve your mental health?
July is National Minority Mental Health Awareness Month
by TheSteveFundYPOC
Last post
May 7th, 2022
...See more In recognition of Minority Mental Health Awareness Month, we highlight the importance of talking about and raising awareness about mental health. National Minority Mental Health Awareness Month is observed each July to bring awareness to the unique struggles that racial and ethnic minority communities face regarding mental illness in the United States. It remains important to promote tools and resources addressing the stigma about mental health among racial and ethnic minority populations. Mental Health does not discriminate Source [https://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/minority-mental-health/index.html]
Kimson's Open Letter: Such a time as this (Support for AAPI communities)
by TheSteveFundYPOC
Last post
June 24th, 2021
...See more There has been a large uptick in violence agains Asian American and Pacific Islanders (AAPI) in the United States. I have been struggling about the best way to speak about this challenging time as I honestly don't have any words. Here we stand with and speak out in support of the many racial and ethnic groups that make up our YPOC community. I encourage us all to support our members within the AAPI community as these injustices are impacting those that we care deeply for and about. During times of injustice, people often talk about the importance of allyship. I hope as we begin each new day we decide to support, speak up and work towards solutions that allow everyone to be seen heard and feel protected. That is all I have for now, but I will speak to you all soon Kimson
May is Mental Health Awareness Month
by TheSteveFundYPOC
Last post
May 24th, 2021
...See more In recognition of May Mental Health Awareness Month, we highlight the importance of talking about and raising awareness about mental health. Helpful Reminders: “Not all wounds are visible.” ”You may have to fight a battle more than once.” “Stay strong, your story isn’t over yet.”
World Mental Health Day ( October 10th)
by TheSteveFundYPOC
Last post
May 1st, 2021
...See more 1) What is one thing you do for yourself that is important to your mental health? Feel free to share your thoughts, a gif or a picture I will go first. Reading is important for my mental health
What are your mental health resolutions for 2021?
by hopedreamlove
Last post
May 1st, 2021
...See more Hello hello hello lovely community! I hope you are all doing well, and I hope everyone who celebrated had a good holiday. Often at the end of the year, we begin discussing resolutions for the upcoming new year, a change, decision, habit, or promise we hope to incorporate into our lives. For many people, New Year's Resolutions can be very helpful and can help them get one step closer to their best self. Today, I wanted to discuss mental health resolutions. 2020 no doubt has been a challenging year for so many, and it has been so important that we take care of ourselves, and make mental health a priority. Although the difficulties we faced this year will not magically disappear immediately in the new and we may not know what is in store for us in 2021, I hope we all can put our wellbeing first, and continue to make mental health a priority. As 2020 wraps up, I want to know, what are some of your mental health resolutions for the new year? These resolutions can be absolutely anything that helps improve your overall mental wellbeing, such as practicing more self-care, setting boundaries, taking up a hobby, etc. There is no "bad" resolution, your mental health resolution might look different from mine, and that is okay. I am looking forward to hearing about your mental health resolutions! Thank you so much for participating in this post, and thank you for being a part of our 7 cups community. I hope that for each and every one of you, this upcoming new year is filled with joy, laughter, adventures, and happiness. “You are perfectly cast in your life. I can't imagine anyone but you in the role. Go play.” - Lin Manuel Miranda ⭐
Kimson's Open Letter: When Things Get Hard As They Sometimes Will....
by TheSteveFundYPOC
Last post
June 19th, 2020
...See more It has taken me a while to think about what I should say after what has been in the news this week in the U.S. Honestly, my heart is heavy and although I want to participate in conversations that lead to resolutions. There is a part of me that wants to take time to process how I can be the most present in this moment. Here in our community we openly talk about race, discrimination, prejudice and stereotypes. I acknowledge each one as "uncomfortable topic" and not welcomed as "necessary" conversations in some spaces. I often hear that people believe we don't need to talk about these topics in 2020. However, when events or moments like this happen locally, nationally and internationally this reminds me why we need a space for People of Color and those who do not identify as people of color but want to serve as allies. As we continue conversations about solutions, coping mechanisms and sometimes just to vent to one another. Since, I started working with you all to build this community, I receive messages that inquire about why we exist, unsure about our intentions and questions about why we choose the topics we discuss. Our work here in this community to create a brave space for people to talk about the realities of our societies, at times can seem to heavy to bear. Here we create a space for people like you and me to talk when we may feel others aren't listening. Our space is not about quieting voices but uplifting our voice to address challenges that people of color face everywhere. Supporting people of color is a humbling place to exist, teach and learn from everyday. I am grateful for all of you, without knowing you personally you inspire me to do the work even when it is difficult and when I am hoping that each word you see in our community means something. I want to say thank you to you all for walking alongside me in this journey to support, grow and improve our community. We have come a long way and the ability to interact with you in forums, chats and PM's are so special for me and my team. You all make each hand clap and each criticism I receive worth it. In these times, things can feel heavy. Talking about the pandemic, mental health, living as a person of color, supporting communities of color, serving as an ally, or just participating to learn the language needed to talk about these challenges is a process. I can not guarantee or even say everything will be okay, but what I am saying is that we will learn from these challenges and build a stronger tomorrow. I hope as you read my letter, you know that I am thinking about all of you as I type. I want you all to live in a place of peace in this present world of uncertainity. You are seen here, your voice matter here and I am so grateful you decided to join us here. Until my next open letter, Kimson

Young People of Color

Welcome to Young People of Color! This community is supported by The Steve Fund, the nation's only non-profit focused on working with students, colleges, and nonprofit organizations to promote the emotional well-being and mental health of young people of color. During their late teens and twenties, young people of color may face challenges related to their mental health and emotional well-being that they need to cope with. That's what Young People of Color at 7Cups is all about! It’s a place to come and be heard, to find and give support. Welcome, friends, to the Young People of Color Support Online Community at 7 Cups.

What are the different forum topics for Young People of Color?

Celebrating Persons of Color: Let’s celebrate persons of color!

Community Space: A place for introductions, icebreakers, games, community check-ins and discussions.

Discussions & Resources: A place for community discussions and resources.

Mental Health as a POC: Struggling with your mental health? Discuss it here.

Share Your Story: Share your story here!

How can I help?

You can help us by simply responding to threads and sharing your story (if you're comfortable). Check-in with us, join a discussion, or start one! Alternatively, you can join us as a Forum Leader. Check out this thread for more information.

Helpful Threads

Taglist: Do you want to stay up to date with our community? Then join our tag list to be notified whenever there is a new discussion or update within the community!

YPOC Guide: Take a read of our People of Color guide!

Young People of Color FAQ

Q: Are there any sub-community-specific guidelines that we need to adhere to?

A: You can find Sub-community-specific guidelines below, which you should follow in addition to the general forum guidelines.

Help! I still have a question! 

If you need help, feel free to contact a community leader or post here, and someone will contact you!

Community Guidelines

1. Treat these discussions as an opportunity to both support and learn

2. Try to understand where others are coming from

3. Encourage an inclusive and welcoming environment

4. Strive to keep the community as safe as possible

5. Your voice is important

Community Leaders
Community Mentor Leader
Community Resources

1. People of Color Listeners - See a full list here

2. Check out The Steve Fund and learn more about the work that supports our community