Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I Don’t Fit In

I am mixed race/ethnicity (forgive me if I’m using the incorrect terminology; I never figured out the difference between the different words), and people of one of my races make fun of me, because I know nothing of my culture, nor the language. I am an outsider and a laughingstock. I was raised by one parent living with one culture, and my other parent didn’t follow the other race’s culture, so I never learned it. I’m not stupid or lazy or anything regarding my ancestry and heritage… I simply never learned it and wasn’t exposed to it. What little I know, I learned from books, pop culture, or friends.

I don’t want to be a laughingstock anymore just for being who I am.

PineTreeTree Saturday

@jesusredeemedme2425 There are people don’t like a particular race/culture. There are people who don’t want to be the race/culture that they are. Some who even pretend to be from a race or culture they are not. And yeah, if you come from a particular culture you can be blamed for not being “enough of” or not defending your culture enough. Race is a construct. Culture is real. But not one human being on earth who chose their geographic or cultural origin at birth and so it shouldn’t be an issue. But humans.

Tinywhisper11 Saturday

@jesusredeemedme2425 😞 wraps you up in a cosy blanket and cuddles you up ❤ why anyone picks on anyone because of their colour, race, or where they live, is just disturbingly ignorant. Not feeling accepted is a horrible feeling,sorry sweetie 😥but there is one family who loves you unconditionally, one place where you fit in and will always be accepted, there's one place where you are loved and appreciated ❤ right here at 7 cups with all of us ❤ I love you kiara

jesusredeemedme2425 OP 3 days ago

Awww thank you! I love you too <3

Torean 22 hours ago

@jesusredeemedme2425

That's definitely not your fault, and it's really *** if they full-on make you a laughingstock.  If you took interest in the culture, do you think they'd teach you anything?

I have a weird story of my own. I literally thought I was mostly German when I was growing up.  There's a slight bit of German in the family, but I'm actually mostly Polish.  The thing is, German was spoken around my grandma's house (a lot of them lived there for a time), and the only spoken Polish word was a swear word.