Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav
Community /

Young People of Color

Create a New Thread
Gif Photo Link
Young People of Color Automated Taglist - NEW!
by tommy
Last post
March 2nd
...See more Welcome to the Young People of Color Taglist This thread is an auto-updating list. The list is regularly updated by forum leaders and can be found below. Having issues? Reply to this thread and someone will help you! Why should I join the taglist? ✔ Never miss out on sub-community check-ins, discussions or events ✔ Get tagged and notified by community leaders whenever a new relevant thread has been posted ✔ Become a more active member of the community. What do I need to do? ✅ To add yourself to this taglist, press the Post to Thread button below and write the exact words Please add me. ❌ To remove yourself from this taglist, press the Post to Thread button below and write the exact words Please remove me. ------------------------- Current taglist as of 17th June (updated by @tommy) @FaithfulZareia @Littlerose00 @SherweetSherif97 @SirenOfSerenity @theboymoana @tommy
Laughter Is The Best Medicine
by aeris156
Last post
December 3rd, 2023
...See more Hello hello, my lovely YPOC community! I wanted to spread a little joy in our community and remind you all about the power of LAUGHTER! I love laughing and being happy, and I'm sure you all do as well! So, I wanted to ask you: Who is one person that is guaranteed to always make you laugh? Also, let us know what some of the things that make YOU laugh are!
Question
by tiredBirds
Last post
September 25th, 2023
...See more Does being Filipino (the Philippines is near the South Chinese Sea) count as being a POC? Thank you in advance :]
Angry black woman
by
Last post
September 15th, 2023
...See more Any tips help me to not be the angry black woman when I’m surrounded by white ignorance 24/7? I’m desperate. I need tips. I need help to not showcase my anger to the ignorant.
Teaching Listeners To Support *you* Better!❤
by Sunisshiningandsoareyou
Last post
September 5th, 2023
...See more Hey hey wonderful people coming across. I hope this month's treating you well. 💛 I am Sun, and I'd like to extend a warm welcome to everyone new to the Young People of Color [https://www.7cups.com/forum/poc/] sub-community. We are so glad to have you with us. You're welcome to introduce yourself here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/poc/CommunitySpace_2571/WhereAreYouFromIAmPoemexercise_302675/] (it's such a creative way of getting to know you better) as well as join the community taglist [https://www.7cups.com/forum/poc/CommunitySpace_2571/YoungPeopleofColorAutomatedTaglistNEW_306848/] so you're always updated with the sub-community events! 💛 Now coming on to the main reason behind this post: my wonderful peer, we need *your* support to support *you* better. We understand it's not at all easy to reach out to someone for support, what makes most of us even more hesitant in doing so is the concern whether or not someone could understand what we are experiencing and if they can support us in feeling better in any way. We know our listeners continue to give their best in offering you (the members here) a safe, non-judgmental, compassionate and kind space to talk to, so you can feel more comfortable in sharing about your thoughts and feelings with them, however, we acknowledge as we gather here to support you, it's pivotal to know what makes *you* feel most supported and what would you expect from an active listener here. Your voice matters, and we'd like to provide you with a space to share it too. So here's a couple of questions for you to reflect on: ♡ What are some struggles you experience/d as a person of color, that you wish your listeners understood better? ♡ What are some things you'd expect from an active listener supporting you, in order to make you feel most heard and validated? ♡ Feel free to share any other tips or suggestions for our listeners to support you better, and become a better Ally/ part of your support-system for you! We acknowledge not every chat goes well and there's room for improvement for all, however we would request you to not bring up the not-so-great experiences you may have had with some listeners in the past in this thread, (If you need admin support for your safety or reporting tools, please check out more information Here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/siteupdates/HsHangout_1970/UpdatedFilingBehavioralReportFormsAlltheinformationyoumightneed_242537/]). Having said that, you're welcome to share as much or as little you're comfortable with, for the questions above, potentially also sharing about what could make your support-seeking experience better from a listener's end, any help is greatly appreciated, as we'd be utilizing the tips and information you share here to support and train our listeners better. It's going to be a win-win for everyone, I believe! 💛 [Gif description: a high five in the background, with a message that reads "Let's get it done together"] ------------------------- Current taglist: @FaithfulZareia @Littlerose00 @SherweetSherif97 @SirenOfSerenity @theboymoana @tommy @lovingPomegranate1982 @HarmonyBlossom Cc: @beck1
Any POC Listeners?
by thoughtfulComputer9328
Last post
March 25th, 2023
...See more Heyo! id like to see if there are any POC listeners i can talk to. Its never really specified here and itd be cool if i had other peeps/listeners to talk to. plus i need strong bond 1 which is why i said listeners. Anywho im black and uhhh hello
I love my cultural food!
by anjellyna
Last post
February 26th, 2023
...See more I remember hiding my lunch during elementary school and telling my parents I thought that our Chinese food was weird, and begging them to give me something "normal" to eat. Now that I've grown I realized how much I just wanted to fit in and be seen as "normal." But guess what? I love my food. It's delicious and my parents are amazing cooks, and I'm learning to cook like them too, as well as appreciating the food from other cultures. I love showing off my food to my friends now! I think that past a certain age, most people mature past judging others for trivial things like what they eat for lunch. I look back and I recognize how much some things impacted me, but now if someone comments that my food is weird I'd be fine because I like to eat it regardless. I'm hopeful that in the future, people can be more accepting and open to other cultures. Thank you for reading this long rant.
Representation in the Media
by hopedreamlove
Last post
February 25th, 2023
...See more Hello hello hello lovely YPOC community! How is everyone doing? It has been awhile since I posted a forum discussion! Recently, I was watching TV and movies and got to thinking. I noticed that there was not many people in the media who I feel like represent me. For people of color or people of other minority groups, it can be difficult to find accurate representation in the media. This includes books, magazines, tv shows, movies, and more. I would say that though there is slightly more representation for people who like like me than when I was young, there still is not enough. Sometimes though the media may have the best intentions in representation, it actually ends up being misrepresentation that is filled with stereotypes and inaccuracy. I would really love to hear your thoughts about representation in the media. - What is representation to you? Why is it important? - Do you personally feel represented in the media? If so, in what have you found representation? - What have you generally seen more of? Representation or misrepresentation? If you have any more thoughts regarding representation in the media please do feel free to share it with us! Also feel free to check out this post for a forum activity on representation in the media. [https://www.7cups.com/forum/YoungPeopleofColor_129/YPOCForumActivities_701/ForumActivityonRepresentationintheMedia_228008/] Thank you for participating in this forum discussion! I appreciated hearing your perspective and your voice
Check On Your Strong Friends
by aeris156
Last post
February 25th, 2023
...See more Hello my lovely YPOC community!! I was having a conversation with someone the other day about this, and I was inspired to bring this idea to all of you! Today let's talk about checking in on the strong people in our lives! There are people who seem to have it all together and who are always there to be your rock when you need it, but what if they need support too? Here are some tips for handling this: 1. Be Present Take time to sit with your friend and let them share how they are feeling 2. Don’t diminish their feelings If your friend has decided to open up to you about their feelings, don’t diminish them. Saying phrases as simple as “Oh you’ll be alright,” or “That’s not that bad” can shut someone down and invalidate their experience 3. Check In Your strong friend is always checking on everyone. It takes a small amount of time to send them a quick message to check in to see how they are doing Questions: 1)Are you the strong friend in your friend group? 2)What can you do to support your strong friend today?
Have you been a victim to racism?
by comfortableNight4463
Last post
February 25th, 2023
...See more I'm sure a fair amount of us have been subjected to racism irrespective of how we look or where our roots are. I've had multiple experiences from as early as kindergarten. Those experiences have left a lasting detriment on my self-esteem even to this day which I am actively working to rectify. How have you responded to racism?
POC listeners?
by Crunchypunch20
Last post
January 19th, 2023
...See more Hello, I've been struggling with alot of anxiety with my ethnic identity and was wondering if there was any black listeners I can talk to.
Boyfriend and I don't agree
by CourageousLion123
Last post
July 16th, 2022
...See more Hello! I'm an Asian Indian girl dating my half white/half Filipino bf. Sometimes it feels like we butt heads when it comes to race. For me personally, I think racist jokes, as long as its about your own race is fine. I know that isn't okay with others but I generally find this alright when it comes to making jokes with close friends who also take a crack at their own race. But it feels like sometimes my boyfriend takes it a step too far when he posts on his snapchat about his jokes regarding me. Sometimes he calls me curry muncher(privately) but in a joking manner. Tbh, I'm fine with this as I sometimes call him rice paddy boy to take a jab back at him. The problem is that he posts these cute pictures of us on snapchat with captions like "My curry muncher" For me, I don't know if it's a good idea since his non poc friends (who I am not close with) see these posts and laugh. I'm worried I might be showing myself as someone who doesn't have respect for herself. I had initially wanted these kinds of jokes to be said just between me and him since we are both Asian but for a while I simply didn't care that he posted those kinds of jokes online since I thought it would be harmless until one incident. When I got into a discord call with his white friends one of them asked "hey (bf's name), so is this your curry muncher?" I don't even know this person and he didn't even ask for my name yet he asked my bf who I was. It felt very uncomfortable and told his friend that he can't say that. After that incident, I'm starting to think I encouraged my bf to write these racist remarks which unfortunately, now make me feel bad about myself since I feel like his friends think I'm okay with them being racist to me. What's worse is that my boyfriend posted a video of me rock climbing and wrote in the caption "look at my monkey go" i can't help but feel this is just making it worse. I have told my bf that it is making me uncomfortable when he posts captions like that and he says its not that deep. And that if any of his friends do try to say something racist he's like "come on man..." That means his friends do try to say racist things about my race. I appreciate my bf does tell his friends to knock it off if they attempt a joke about Asians but, I'm worried the problem will get worse. What should I do in this situation? And am I overreacting? Apologies for the lack of cohesiveness.
Juneteenth
by aeris156
Last post
July 16th, 2022
...See more Hello hello, my beautiful YPOC community! To all my fellow Americans and especially the Black Americans who are part of YPOC, I wanted to wish you all a wonderful belated Juneteenth! For those of you who may not know, Juneteenth (a combination of the words “June” and “nineteenth”) is a holiday celebrating the emancipation of Black Americans from slavery in Texas, the final ones to hear about the news of emancipation. As of June 17th, 2021, Juneteenth has become recognized as a federal holiday in America. This is an incredible milestone for the Black community! Slavery was a horrific stain on American history, and the effects of slavery are still felt today, so I am thrilled that this has become a recognized holiday in order to honor this community. Of course, I must acknowledge that there is still so much that needs to be done to advance justice in this country. If you are interested, HERE [https://www.britannica.com/topic/critical-race-theory] is a link to an article about critical race theory, which can be a powerful educational tool to learn about the history and effects of racism. Juneteenth is often celebrated by highlighting Black American artists and writers, as well as celebrating with soul food. As part of this celebration, I wanted to direct you all to a wonderful performance of “Lift Every Voice And Sing” by Aretha Franklin! CLICK HERE [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QK4p22LHtw] to listen :) This piece is often considered the Black national anthem in America, and Aretha Franklin was an incredible and iconic singer! I hope you all enjoy the performance as much as I did! ⭐Have you heard about Juneteenth before? If so, where, and if not, did you learn something interesting? ⭐Did you watch the video of Aretha Franklin? What did you think? ⭐ Do you have any other questions or things you’d like to share about this holiday? Click HERE [https://www.7cups.com/forum/YoungPeopleofColor_129/YPOCCheckIns_1753/BrandNewTaglistYPOC_216711/1/] if you would like to be added/removed from the taglist! @AddictedTealover98 @aeris156 @ahealingEndoftherainbow22 @ajakachira @Alecto @AmberLilly21 @Angel1011208 @artume @ATurnInTheRoad @AuthenticTree @azuladragon34 @badejoro @benevolentsunshine9478 @blackcandy8711 @bluewaterfalls4422 @BookChunky @bouncySalamander26 @bouncyVoice4149 @brandin0 @caffeinatedcatio @caringSmiles1016 @certainlyuncertain @cheerfulsea45 @ClairePotato @Colorfulcatsofhope @courageousPurple57 @CrickettheSilent @DancingSkies @DarkPiT23 @decisiveScarf8956 @delugedrizzle @DezEisenhour11 @DinaElwy @dreamSmiles16 @ElectricBird @EmKayGee10 @EndlessChanges @faithandhope85 @fantasticDancer50 @Flornhope @galactictroubles @gentlebreeze1236 @GlitteringNights @gorgeous2005 @GracexGrey31 @Grayce174 @halle16 @HannahChu777 @Hashib22 @Hazzy050206 @HealingHope0808 @HelloWorld29 @hopedreamlove @Hyacinth22 @Hydrangea03 @Imasunflower1234 @immortalwolfieslyrics @ItsReganingRain @ivoryCircle7085 @JoyfulUnicorn @k87 @KACOSMIC @KarrotCake @KatK @KC789 @KeepGoing21 @kindheartedWords6803 @KireinaWazawaiGai @kourtneypoe20 @Kritikaaa @lavenderSquire2736 @Leah157 @LegendsNeverDie @Lexuah @Lifer @LittleMissJoy @livefreely04 @LonelyAngels @lovelywords13 @luzzie @lyricalAngel70 @lyricalsea85 @Mankka @MaryGamer @MatchaPie @Matteo2020 @mohamed1994 @morecake @mridi2020 @MsGoody2Shoes @MyNameIsNicole @Naonao @NatalieanotNatalia @NatSangster @nicedaisy36 @NimoSayeda @NonJudgemental101 @nyjeab @oenomaus @OliviaWilson5 @OptimismofCandide @overtherainbow17 @Pandahelp113 @parisayano @passionatedreams @peacefulBubbles40 @Peacefulness101 @PepperBunny @PerfectlyFlawed @PlainRiver @Princessalmond @proudHoney7365 @purpleEyes1324 @Queen44 @RachelAngeli @raymaniii @Rebecca5482 @sadeggie @SappyKid @ScarletHouse7925 @She13 @silverOrange298 @silverPomegranate58 @sleepydandelionbby @SloJackCrow @softMusic9759 @Solitudism @SophTheListener2022 @SupportBrownie @sweetlife101 @sympatheticPlum5500 @Tazzie @therebelpoet @thoughtfuldana4 @Trancee242829 @tryingandsurviving @understandingAcres5315 @UndomesticGoddess @usefulSummer3139 @Verity19 @VerseArt @vipulsodhi @wannatalkaboutit @WishingWell14 @wittykj2131 @wonderfulMango5023 @Yourlifeisworthy

Young People of Color

Welcome to Young People of Color! This community is supported by The Steve Fund, the nation's only non-profit focused on working with students, colleges, and nonprofit organizations to promote the emotional well-being and mental health of young people of color. During their late teens and twenties, young people of color may face challenges related to their mental health and emotional well-being that they need to cope with. That's what Young People of Color at 7Cups is all about! It’s a place to come and be heard, to find and give support. Welcome, friends, to the Young People of Color Support Online Community at 7 Cups.

What are the different forum topics for Young People of Color?

Celebrating Persons of Color: Let’s celebrate persons of color!

Community Space: A place for introductions, icebreakers, games, community check-ins and discussions.

Discussions & Resources: A place for community discussions and resources.

Mental Health as a POC: Struggling with your mental health? Discuss it here.

Share Your Story: Share your story here!

How can I help?

You can help us by simply responding to threads and sharing your story (if you're comfortable). Check-in with us, join a discussion, or start one! Alternatively, you can join us as a Forum Leader. Check out this thread for more information.

Helpful Threads

Taglist: Do you want to stay up to date with our community? Then join our tag list to be notified whenever there is a new discussion or update within the community!

YPOC Guide: Take a read of our People of Color guide!

Young People of Color FAQ

Q: Are there any sub-community-specific guidelines that we need to adhere to?

A: You can find Sub-community-specific guidelines below, which you should follow in addition to the general forum guidelines.

Help! I still have a question! 

If you need help, feel free to contact a community leader or post here, and someone will contact you!

Community Guidelines

1. Treat these discussions as an opportunity to both support and learn

2. Try to understand where others are coming from

3. Encourage an inclusive and welcoming environment

4. Strive to keep the community as safe as possible

5. Your voice is important

Community Leaders
Community Mentor Leader
Community Resources

1. People of Color Listeners - See a full list here

2. Check out The Steve Fund and learn more about the work that supports our community