Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Module 2. Distress Tolerance: (Discussion #7) Problem Solving

QuietMagic January 25th, 2022

DBTuesday is a series of posts where we explore skills and concepts from dialectical behavior therapy (DBT).

This is one of several posts focusing on distress tolerance, which is the second module of DBT skills training. See this post for general info about DBT and this post for more info about distress tolerance.

Four ways of dealing with problems

For any problem, DBT would say that there are basically four options for coping with it:

• Solve the problem: eliminate the problem by changing or leaving the situation
  • Feel better about the problem: find ways to regulate, manage, or change any feelings that the problem creates
  • Tolerate the problem: accept the problem and your feelings about it without trying to change either of them
  • Stay miserable: do nothing, or do something that makes the problem worse

This post will focus on the first option of solving the problem. This can be an effective approach if the problem is within your control and the problem is your responsibility.

Steps for solving a problem

There are many ways of thinking about problem-solving and this is just one way of approaching it.

1) Describe what the problem is

• Write or think freely about the situation and explore what is happening
  • Use the 5 W’s to describe the situation: what is happening, who is involved, where does it happen, when does it happen, why does it happen
  • See if you’re able to answer the question “why is this a problem?”
  • Try to come up with a simple or concise statement of the problem
  • Identify what you’re currently doing in response to the problem

2) Brainstorm possible options

• Try to come up with as many options as possible
  • Hold off for now on evaluating or eliminating possible options
  • Think about both short-term and long-term actions
  • Be creative and maybe list ideas or options that you wouldn’t normally consider

3) Evaluate the options and pick one

• Think about the expected results of each option
  • Think about the pros and cons of each option
  • Think about what your own goals and values are
  • Eliminate options that feel undesirable, impractical, or unreasonable
  • Give yourself time to decide and see if you change your mind
  • Try not to rush deciding if you are feeling especially stressed

4) Create and implement a plan

• Come up with a list of small, simple steps that are all doable
  • Decide when and how you will do each step
  • Start by doing the first step

5) Evaluate and adjust your plan

• Revisit the problem every so often to see whether things are improving
  • If not enough time has passed yet to be able to evaluate things, be patient and trust your plan 💜
  • If the problem is improving, then give yourself credit for doing a good job and keep doing what you’re doing 😊
  • If the problem isn’t improving and you think your plan is flawed, go through the problem-solving process again

Reflection

1) What is an example of a problem in your life that feels like it’s best addressed by trying to solve it?

2) What are some of the possible options you can choose from?

Sources:

https://bayareadbtcc.com/dbt-problem-solving-options/

https://asq.org/quality-resources/problem-solving

https://www.knowledgecity.com/blog/5-steps-to-make-your-problem-solving-process-easier/

https://au.reachout.com/articles/decision-making-101

https://dbt.tools/distress_tolerance/problem-solving.php

https://www.healthywa.wa.gov.au/Articles/N_R/Problem-solving

@Adeline12345 @ahhhhelpimalive @AlfAndthemachine @alleywood13 @Alwaysinpyjamas @ambitiousVase1322 @amicableDime9946 @arbanon @ARC80 @AutumnLauren6 @autumnthemoth @Avocado22 @azuladragon34 @b4Damion @berrymimi @bestcase @caringPerspective41 @CheerySandi @ChristmasGift @crang17 @cyanPlatypus6370 @dagaz13th @DamagedOne13 @dberryy @DoggoMom @ebonyyyblondie89 @EddaLayla @emerijourney @EmotionalNerd @Everythingisbetterinyourpyjamas @fireyseastar97 @FloweringBunny @Goldcherry2113 @GrahZeymahzin @GRAPSPRO2033 @GreenScarab @Hadeel96 @HashiramaNinja @heartycitrus @Hyacinth22 @ImaginativePenny152 @imclover @indigoCup1959 @intelligentWheel627 @Irishrose78 @itsmeow @Jish07541 @JoniGirl @K87 @kindTurtle3738 @LadyNikita @LavenderFlower @Lemino @LightsFromDark @LiliTwolsky @limeRaspberries2286 @lovelyWords13 @LoveTracker @MeeshyRB @MelG919 @missg @Mkmultra @munchiegoosie @nervoussmiles @Nubia87 @OneErased @optimisticMagic0014 @OrangePeel24 @Oxymoron6demon @passionateJackfruit5095 @Piggy @placidShade4261 @Pointlesswords @QueenBee03 @QuietMagic @racqueldawn @raininglillies13 @Red789 @RelaxedPanda @RemorseCode2 @Rex0911 @selfdisciplinedBunny232 @ShyCat1678201 @spectacularCandy9984 @Stardew3 @Starilus @StrangeKat @sunflower2480 @Tamy4210 @Tatianaalize @toucans @Triscups @uniqueRose1689 @versatilePomegranate60 @WalkingCrow @Xe @YourCaringConfidant
AffyAvo January 25th, 2022

1) What is an example of a problem in your life that feels like it’s best addressed by trying to solve it?

I can think of a lot related to healthcare right now where in the right position trying to solve it would be great. I am not in that position unfortunately.

2) What are some of the possible options you can choose from?

Trying to tolerate them, success rate is not where I would like it to be. Also trying to influence those in the right positions, no success with that so far. So staying miserable is happening a fair bit, but I'm not doing anything to make it worse and I'm not doing nothing.

WhiteRoses25 January 25th, 2022

@AffyAvo

Do you mean politicians? To ask them to help you solve the problem with health care through self-advocating. When I was in school my professors always spoke about social change and how there is a ripple effect meaning one person can change a whole community. Wishing you the best!💛

AffyAvo January 25th, 2022

@WhiteRoses25 Yep, it's difficult to even grab their attention whether it's through a health organization or not. The health organization stuff can be tricky too as there's many aspects, so it's going to one about one thing, another about something else, etc. and some of them don't seem to care much.

QuietMagic OP January 27th, 2022

@AffyAvo

Makes sense! It sounds like you've been doing problem-solving (i.e. trying to take active steps to change the situation) and taking actions that have either the best chances of success or the greatest payoff if they do succeed. And it just unfortunately hasn't happened that those actions have gone as hoped--since while you're able to try to influence the outcome, it's not completely within your control.

That's a good point that problem-solving and other coping strategies aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Like, if you try to solve a problem and it doesn't work, you're not "doing nothing", but then you are still sort of in the situation of, "This isn't working so I have to survive as best as I can with the situation that's here right now."