Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Module 1. Mindfulness: (Discussion #1) Overview

QuietMagic October 19th, 2021

DBTuesday is a series of posts where we will explore skills and concepts from dialectical behavior therapy (DBT). See this post for general info about DBT.

The next several posts will focus on mindfulness, which is the first module of DBT skills training.

What is mindfulness?

Mindfulness is gently noticing what is happening. 😊

There are two parts to this:

• 1) Awareness ("noticing what is happening"): deciding to focus on what is happening in one's experience here and now

• 2) Acceptance ("gently"): doing this in a non-judgmental, nurturing way with the attitude that it is okay to think or feel whatever happens to be there (you're allowed to be whatever you are 💜)

Two types of mindfulness

There are lots of different mindfulness practices. For example, HERE is a 7 Cups page with dozens of mindfulness audio exercises.

Here are a couple general categories for classifying mindfulness practices:

• 1) Opening the mind: watching whatever happens to be in one's awareness and allowing things to come and go freely

• 2) Focusing the mind: trying to keep one's attention on a specific thing (e.g. breathing)

"What" and "How" Skills

The way mindfulness is presented in DBT is in terms of "What" skills and "How" skills.

1) “What” skills

• Observe: Notice whatever is there

• Describe: Identify what is there (e.g. with words)

• Participate: Allow yourself to become absorbed and immersed in just sensitively, patiently watching what is there

2) “How” skills

• Non-judgmental: You are allowed to think or feel what you do

• One-mindful: Try to repeatedly bring yourself back to noticing what is here if you get distracted

• Effective: Do all of this in whatever way feels like it works best for you in actual practice and helps you the most 😊

Trauma-sensitive mindfulness

Psychologists and mindfulness teachers have become aware of the fact that mindfulness can have negative effects on some trauma survivors. If you have a history of trauma, here are some ways to make mindfulness safe:

• Notice if you are really struggling while practicing mindfulness

• If this happens, try to find a neutral sensation to focus on and use as an anchor

• You are allowed to trust yourself and do whatever feels necessary or best for you

Things that are neutral for one person might be triggering for someone else, so it’s okay to pick what works for you. 💜 Here are a few examples of possible neutral sensations:

• Sensation in nostrils or abdomen while breathing

• Feeling at a certain part of the body (e.g. feet, buttocks, back, hands)

• Other senses (e.g. sight, smell, sound)

• Touching something soft like a blanket

• Feeling of feet on ground while walking

Regarding trusting yourself, here is a beautiful passage I want to quote in full from an article:

Nobody chooses to experience trauma. Whether it’s a natural disaster, a devastating accident, or an act of interpersonal violence, trauma often leaves people feeling violated and a lack of a sense of control. Because of this, it’s vital that survivors feel a sense of choice and autonomy in their mindfulness practice. We want them to know that in every moment of practice, they are in control. Nothing will be forced upon them. They can move at a pace that works for them, and they can always opt out of any practice. By emphasizing self-responsiveness, we help put power back in the hands of survivors.

The body is central to this process. Trauma survivors need to know they won’t be asked to override signals from their body but listen to them.

Questions for Reflection

1) How might mindfulness possibly be helpful?

2) How might mindfulness possibly be difficult?

Sources:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/theory-knowledge/201502/what-is-mindfulness-and-how-does-it-work
https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/topic/mindfulness/definition
https://dbt.tools/mindfulness/index.php
https://www.mindfulleader.org/blog/26483-what-s-trauma-sensitive-mindfulness

@Adeline12345 @AlfAndthemachine @Alwaysinpyjamas @ambitiousVase1322 @amicableDime9946 @arbanon @AutumnLauren6 @autumnthemoth @Avocado22 @azuladragon34 @berrymimi @bestcase @caringPerspective41 @ChristmasGift @cyanPlatypus6370 @dagaz13th @DamagedOne13 @dberryy @DoggoMom @ebonyyyblondie89 @emerijourney @Everythingisbetterinyourpyjamas @fireyseastar97 @FloweringBunny @Goldcherry2113 @GrahZeymahzin @GRAPSPRO2033 @Hadeel96 @heartycitrus @Hyacinth22 @ImaginativePenny152 @indigoCup1959 @intelligentWheel627 @Irishrose78 @itsmeow @Jish07541 @JoniGirl @K87 @kindTurtle3738 @LadyNikita @LavenderFlower @Lemino @LightsFromDark @LiliTwolsky @limeRaspberries2286 @lovelyWords13 @LoveTracker @MeeshyRB @MelG919 @missg @Mkmultra @munchiegoosie @nervoussmiles @Nubia87 @OneErased @optimisticMagic0014 @OrangePeel24 @Oxymoron6demon @passionateJackfruit5095 @Piggy @placidShade4261 @Pointlesswords @QueenBee03 @QuietMagic @racqueldawn @raininglillies13 @Red789 @RelaxedPanda @RemorseCode2 @Rex0911 @selfdisciplinedBunny232 @ShyCat1678201 @spectacularCandy9984 @Stardew3 @Starilus @StrangeKat @sunflower2480 @Tamy4210 @toucans @Triscups @uniqueRose1689 @versatilePomegranate60 @WalkingCrow @Xe @YourCaringConfidant

Tamy4210 October 23rd, 2021

@QuietMagic

this is a great idea and i love this post, its so detailed and understandable, thank you for this<3

QuietMagic OP October 23rd, 2021

@Tamy4210

Thank you, glad that it feels that way. 😊 That's something I've sort of hoped for, to balance giving some substance but in a way that makes sense.

By the way, I apologize for the formatting. This post looked really beautiful in Google Docs but the forum editor had other plans, lol. I spent close to an hour trying different things to fix it but without any success so I gave up. Will try to see what I can do for future weeks. Last week's post didn't look quite as bad.

QuietMagic OP October 23rd, 2021

Just giving a try at answering my own discussion questions. 😊

I've noticed that sometimes feelings have a way of settling and becoming calmer and quieter if I just watch them.

There's a metaphor I've heard before in the context of meditation. If there's a pool of water that's full of sediment, the water becomes cloudy if it's really active or agitated. But if the water is still, the sediment sinks to the bottom and the water becomes clear.

I'm not sure if this counts as it being "difficult", but sometimes I just don't want to be mindful. Or it doesn't feel like it's something helpful for my current needs.

• Sometimes there are things I need to get done, and being agitated and doing things on autopilot feels really productive and helpful.
  • Sometimes mindfulness sensitizes me to things that I'm just not in the right state of mind or social environment to be able to deal with, and immersing myself in a distracting activity feels like it's safer or more stabilizing.
ferventflame October 26th, 2021

@QuietMagic

Hello :) I am so glad you are continuing DB Tuesdays, I recently came across them and still am going through the previous posts, I love the whole series very informative in a crisp manner.

It’s a great post, easier to read with the bold key points, especially about the part where you talk about mindfulness and for users with trauma, it’s very helpful. Thank you for the suggestions on how to cope with the overwhelming sensations and also sharing some of the DBT snippets about breaking down our situations.

My responses to the end questions :-

Mindfulness, for me, helps to center myself to reality and not let take thoughts take control of how I feel and who I am.

It has helped me to be more aware of the people and environment around me and therefore not react to the situations rather mindfully think them through before.

I am still trying to be more consistent with my mindfulness practice. :D

For me, I struggle a lot with the acceptance part of it. Not wanting to let things be.

I am too sometimes sensitive to being more mindful or sometimes I just don’t want to be more mindful. Because a lot of times I feel it wouldn’t matter either way, but it does. Maybe because being mindful all the time isn’t intuitive to me currently that I sometimes prefer going back to my negative coping methods or to react to situations rather than act on them mindfully.

Hopefully with practice, I won’t have to struggle with the choice of being mindful.

Would like to end my response with a quote that I have been trying to apply more in my life, “Be like the sky, not the weather.”

Thank you so much for this wonderful post

🌼🌼🌼

QuietMagic OP October 27th, 2021

@ferventflame

Hi--thank you! I'm glad you've liked the series and that it feels like it's striking that balance of being informative but still readable.

That sounds helpful being able to pause and give yourself a chance to slowly look at everything in a relaxed way and patiently find what feels like the right thing to do.

I relate to a lot of the difficulties you mentioned. I've also had the experience of thinking mindfulness won't do much but then 5-10 minutes later being surprised at how different I feel. It definitely increases my trust to have those kinds of lived experiences every now and then.

I also don't necessarily want to be mindful all the time. While I was researching for this post, I found a nice article that I ended up not using, but it made the point that mindfulness is just one of many tools and it might not always be the best tool for everyone at all moments. I personally feel like it's really healthy to have that discernment of trying to notice the fine details of when/how something works and understanding what its limits might be.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/mindfulness-insights/202107/the-potential-dangers-mindfulness

Thanks for sharing that really interesting quote about being like the sky instead of the weather. I feel like there is so much to unpack there involving change and identity. 😊

toucans July 15th, 2022

@QuietMagic

Thank you for these, they are helping me a lot. I've been on the waiting list for a therapist in my town for over 6 months so having SOMETHING to work on in the meantime is saving me.

1. Mindfulness may be helpful because it will allow me to accept what is going on and how my brain is reacting to it. It will guide me to feel what I'm feeling healthily, so I can acknowledge and validate my own emotions. It will prevent me from suppression and catastrophizing.

2. It may be difficult because with the lack of suppression comes triggers. There will be times when I am making myself face triggering and shameful thoughts head-on. Sometimes, it may raise a challenge to stay focused. I can always turn my attention toward neutral sensations in those moments until I feel ready to come back to it.