Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

"Malignant" narcissist AMA

robokitty December 5th, 2016

Ask me shit.

CreedAngelus December 5th, 2016

@robokitty

Alright... how do you feel about it?

robokitty OP December 5th, 2016

@CreedAngelus I don't feel much about it either way. I mean, I'm not bothered by it. I wasn't offended when I was diagnosed and being diagnosed hasn't caused me any distress. As far as the actual symptoms go, a lot of them are things that I previously thought of as strengths or positive aspects, not something that would be considered disordered. Just for example, I always thought "normal" people with empathy and self-doubt seemed sappy or weak, and I always prided myself in being stronger than that.

@robokitty

That actually sounds mightily familiar.

@CreedAngelus Does it?

@robokitty

More or less...

Never seen anything wrong with thinking about the self. I once had a friend who was diagnosed with malignant narcissism. She believed "We HAVE" to be selfish," because looking out for yourself first makes you realize which people you need and which people you have to keep out of your life.

She seemed utilitarian of our friendship. I didn't mind. Did I agree with her? I don't know. But I sometimes do agree that selfishness is term victims use for self-respect.

@CreedAngelus I've found that a lot of people (not all) who call others selfish are actually selfish themselves. What they're basically saying is that they are expecting you to put them before yourself, which is actually really entitled if you think about it. I do agree with your friend though...selfishness is necessary. I think most people are inherently selfish (those who aren't tend to be horribly naive), so if you aren't looking out for yourself 100%, who's going to?

@robokitty

True enough...

I've been told I have a God complex, and it might be true. Can't really diagnose "God complex" though. As a psych student, I suppose my counselor was suggesting I might be narcissistic, but I never found the need to get diagnosed. I mean if I am, what difference does it make?

Anyhow, since nobody else is asking in this AMA... What's a good Saturday night to you?

@CreedAngelus I don't really think a diagnosis really changed my life or anything. Then again, I didn't enter therapy voluntarily.

Anyway...a good Saturday night...good DJ in a good club, free drinks, blunts, and maybe a little coke followed by drunken sex until the sun comes up. 👌🏼

@robokitty

That almost makes me miss four years ago.

@CreedAngelus Haven't partied in awhile?

@robokitty

Nah... My last year in college involves me counseling kids from first to ninth grade. I don't want to be a false god to them by preaching good values then getting wasted. I did go to this Oktoberfest celebration sponsored by a local beer company. But in terms of just heading to a club... no haven't.

I don't dance, actually. I used to be that one guy who leaves his friends' table and goes to randoms with a deck of cards flourished. My hands are better than my feet. XD

@robokitty

Oh hold on... I just realized that last post wasn't ENTIRELY true. I may have been caught by one of my students' guardians in a nightclub last semester. Can't really remember though. XD But that was literally the only time this year. Before that, the last time I was in a nightclub was more or less four years ago.

@CreedAngelus I swear I replied to this, but I don't see the reply anywhere. This app can be buggy sometimes. Anyway, I'm on my second year majoring in psych also. I'd probably be a shameless hypocrite about what I'd tell kids in that situation though. "Drugs are bad!" *is high right now* 😂

I have a broken foot and I've still been hitting the dance floor. Every time I go out, someone is like "Oh shit, she's hardcore. She's out here with a broken foot!" Lmao

CreedAngelus December 6th, 2016

@robokitty

Haha. Well even if I gave in to indulgence, I'd probably find it hard these days to get a spliff. I've never been out of control when it comes to vices. Alcohol, video games, cigarettes, weed, Benzadrine... My current president's war on drugs is insane...

Extremely effective... and honestly, what my country needs... but somewhat anti-fun and insane. XD

robokitty OP December 10th, 2016

@CreedAngelus What country are you from? I actually have a really addictive personality myself. The hardest drug I've done is coke, and I avoid doing it frequently because I know how addictive my personality is. It's just one of those things once in awhile if a friend has some, you know, lmao. Typically I just smoke weed a lot and drink on weekends. And weekdays sometimes.

CreedAngelus December 10th, 2016

@robokitty

Philippines. I'm sure you've heard the controversies. XD Fun fact. much of international media actually gets wrong info about what is going on here.

Histerikal December 6th, 2016

Why do so many people think this is something bad?

robokitty OP December 9th, 2016

@Histerikal By something, you mean my diagnosis? If so, it's more than likely because they're secretly jealous. They wish they were stronger, less driven by emotion, and more able to look out for themselves in the same way without things like guilt or empathy getting in the way. They make it out like they wouldn't want to be like this, but it's obvious that they do. People are also more selfish than they'd like to admit, so they hate when someone is selfish instead of also looking out for their needs. It's really very hypocritical if you think about it.

Histerikal December 9th, 2016

@robokitty

Amen.

QuietMagic August 12th, 2021

@heragranger19

Hi--I'm sorry that you had to go through that. I can relate to what you've described of feeling like you lost yourself and wanting to protect yourself and be careful about who you share your care/empathy with to avoid having that happen again.

You might find this forum of interest if you want to share more. There was a recent forum reorganization just to try to make the NPD forum mainly geared toward supporting people who are suffering from NPD.