Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Minor meltdown

Sweetteaa December 30th, 2015

Hi everybody. First I want to trigger warn this post for mentions of thoughts of self injury, I didn't act on it but the thoughts I had were extreme.

I have two cats, one is six years old and the other just turned one. I never had any problems keeping the older one flea free, when it was just her.

I woke up this morning and noticed some flea bites on my legs and I was like damn ok wake up call I'm going to have to pull some money from somewhere and get them to the vet or at least get some medication and collars in the meantime. I just feel so guilty for my babies because these few bites are so hard for me to deal with I can't imagine what it's like for them :(

Earlier this evening I was sitting on my couch and all of sudden it was like I felt my entire body covered in fleas. I couldn't see any but I could feel it, it was like every inch of my skin was crawling. I jumped up and started taking off all the covers on my couch and my clothes and my slippers and turning my washer on hot and throwing it all in. While doing this I'm scratching every surface of my skin, I just can't shake that crawling feeling. I go back into my room and put on pajamas but I can't stop scratching my legs and I feel like I'm going to scratch them until they bleed and it feels like that would be a relief. I try to calm down and put some itch relief cream on my legs but that doesn't feel like enough so I also poured rubbing alcohol down them. I get into bed to try to do some breathing exercises but I could still feel them all over me, and my scalp felt like it was infested. I scratch my face and there was an actual flea on it so this starts a new round of panic. I strip my bed and then use more way toner on my face than I normally would. I pace my bathroom debating boiling water to pour on my scalp because that feels like that only solution. But when I went into the kitchen I got so far as to take out the pot before I put it back and instead took my nightly medication. I'll admit to you guys that I took more than I usually do because I really needed to calm down and try to sleep, I was shaking trying to open the pill bottles and all I could think was how nice it would be to get a razor and cut all of my skin off.

I was able to sleep for a few hours and now that I'm awake I feel a lot more stable. I haven't lost control like that in a while, in a way that I wasn't able to bring myself back in before it got to that level. I still feel kind of creepy crawly and I'm fighting not to pick at my skin. But I just wanted to be able to tell some people about it that might actually understand. It was a pretty scary moment and has just really encouraged me to find a BPD specializing therapist.

thanks for reading xx

Jennylinn527 December 30th, 2015

Good job staying safe! I know what those urges feel like. They sound crazy afterwards, but in the moment, they seem totally logical. You knew you weren't thinking straight, took your meds, and went to sleep. That is huge! Keep up the good work!

blitheSun94 March 26th, 2016

@Sweetteaa

This sounds awfully frightening! I can relate to an episode I had regarding head lice where my OCD and obsessional thinking got the best of me. I doused my head in tea tree oil and did a complete comb through, as well as my son, and washed everything I could get my hands on. These moments, even when grounded in reality, can be terrifying moments of insanity. Do you have support? A friend or family member you can talk too if you ever feel this way again?

Were you able to find a therapist?

blitheSun94 June 5th, 2016

@Sweetteaa

Thank you for sharing. I struggle with paranoia in general and a fear of insects specifically. I completely understand the escalation you described here. You are not alone! I hope you were able to calm yourself down and ground yourself in reality with the help of a therapist. Did you ever end up finding one that you like?

Stay strong.