Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Medication

insecure1992 February 1st, 2021

Personal question but I'm currently on [removed amount] of fluoextine (standard anti depressant) it is doing absolutely nothing for me and I feel worse than ever... I have tried various other antidepressants all with bad side effects. I want something more than a standard antidepressant. If you don't mind sharing what medications worked for you guys? And how long did it take to start working ? Thanks πŸ’œ

RarelyCharlie February 1st, 2021

@insecure1992 Unfortunately, suggestions to take specific medications are forbidden by our Forum Guidelines, Rule 6.

So-called antidepressant medications mostly fall into three groups, known as: SSRIs, tricyclics and MAOIs. In addition there are some that don't belong in any of the groups. So one strategy, if an antidepressant doesn't work for you, is to try a different one that's not in the same group.

For example, if fluoxetine (an SSRI) doesn't work, then maybe avoid other SSRIs when you choose another one to try. However, I happen to know people who have found one SSRI doesn't work but another SSRI does work for them, so this is not a rigid rule. Everyone is different.

If you'd ever like to chat to me about your situation, feel free to message me, although I'm not an expert on any of this.

Charlie

insecure1992 OP February 1st, 2021

Thanks, should I remove the thread?

RarelyCharlie February 1st, 2021

@insecure1992 You can't remove the thread, and there would be no need to. It's just that if someone does recommend a particular medication a moderator might delete the name of the medication before you get a chance to see it.

Are the various other antidepressants you've tried all in the SSRI group?

Charlie

insecure1992 OP February 1st, 2021

3 of them was had to Google to check the only one I'm not sure about is mitrazapine but that made me very sedated and I wouldn't want to take it now I'm a mother would be scared i wouldn't wake up on a morning πŸ™ˆ I feel like I need something to bring me up more than sedate me if that makes sense

RarelyCharlie February 2nd, 2021

@insecure1992 Yes, it makes good sense that you don't want to be sedated. So it sounds like that's maybe the main thing you need to discuss with your doctor when you replace the fluoxetine.

Charlie

AffyAvo February 2nd, 2021

@insecure1992 Hey, the details on the medical advice rule is here

People are allowed to share their experiences, as long as they don't tell you what you should take. Dosages also aren't allowed, so I removed that aspect from the opening post.

insecure1992 OP February 3rd, 2021

Sorry about that and thank you :)

LeadWithLove February 18th, 2021

Absolutely! Lexapro, nature, CBD, music, and strengthening your trust in Jesus Christ. I have heard rumors of some pretty innovative trials with MDMA. I haven't found enough proper information on it to base an opinion though. What were your side effects like? I tried Vraylar and had shaking hands and loss of memory. Took weeks to rid of the side effects just taking it for one week presented. Scary stuff.

rachaelhempkin97 February 20th, 2021

Hiya I was on fluexotine and it didn't help me either !!! I had to try seven different types until I found the right one that eventually had an effect it's trial and error much love πŸ’—