Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Feeling Lost In A Sea Of Support

Fraolboint March 8th, 2016

Every day has been a struggle since I started experiencing Mental Illness. I had severe Anxiety as a kid and depression in my early teens. Since mental illness runs in my family I assumed it was just who I was. It wasn't until recently I found out they were purely symptoms of a bigger problem. The diagnosis came as a surprise, but a welcome one. Assigning a name to the mess of emotions inside my head made me feel hope, it made me feel less crazy.

It's only been a few months and I haven't seen a big difference. I haven't worked in over a year and I can't drive, these cause so much stress I become physically ill. I live with my fiancé and he lost his job back in October. We've been surviving on his EI alone for months now, behind in all our bills and going into collections. Paying for my medication is stressful and I am down to only 1 or 2 outfits I can actually wear. We've been talking about the need for him to get a job for a while but he puts no effort into finding one. He won't even call his previous employer ( great hours and great pay) because he felt undervalued there. I asked him if he would work there for a month while we continue to look for another job and he kind of dismissed the idea. These financial issues are causing me incredible amounts of stress the point I am physically sick and even my period is late (common side effect of stress). But I can't get mad at him because I'm not working. What can I do?

RarelyCharlie March 9th, 2016

For you to have a diagnosis at last, and medication, gives me some hope that with professional help you'll be able to find a way through the terrible tangle of difficulties you describe. I hope, too, that the resources on this site, and listeners who understantd what you are having to deal with, will also be helpful and positive for you—that you'll feel welcomed here, not lost.

@Fraolboint

SurferRosa March 22nd, 2016

If you don't hold the next job, or see your condition worsening while in the next job, please seek disability.

Also, don't feel discouraged about your functioning levels. They take some time to return even after symptoms subside.

You just found out you have BPD recently? That means things can really start changing form here.

Congratulations on the diagnosis, and hey if this partner isn't treating you right, please advocate for yourself more.