Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

A very interesting article on BPD.

EmselBug123 May 4th, 2015

http://gettinbetter.com/BPDclient.html

blitheSun94 May 10th, 2015

This is quite the read! Thank you for posting. This: "BPD is constructed from a cumulative, complex group of emotional injuries to one's sense of Self, which begin within the first year of life, due to deficits in affection/touch/holding and emotional attunement with the birth mother, that derail a baby's ability to maintain a nourishing bond of attachment with her." -especially hit home for me as someone who has a turbulent if not, absent, relationship with her mother. I will say, however, that BPD IS a mental illness and to suggest otherwise is abruptly inaccurate. What are your thoughts?

StrawberryFieldsForeverE June 4th, 2015

Yeah, this article is very long and slightly confusing.

Some of the assertions hold value, but it has been proven over and over again that there is a genetic predisposition that leaves the child more susceptible to be broken by an invalidating environment.

The article does confront a lot of the core issues and beliefs though, so definitely an interesting read.

EmselBug123 OP June 4th, 2015

Yes I was surprised when it suggested BPD was not a mental illness as I've not come across that comment ANYWHERE else.

blitheSun94 June 4th, 2015

I am certain it is from a chemical standpoint versus a behavioral one. But the fact remains, BPD is treated with extensive psychotherapy in CONJUNCTION with medication.