Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Alternatives to head-hitting?

Disabledfemme November 10th, 2015

I've managed with alternatives to quit cutting. I stopped when I was a teenager and I haven't cut since, I use alternative things like snapping an elastic band and hot wax on my arm.

But recently as in the last year and a half I've started to hit my head with an open palm.

The root issue here is seeing my childhood abuser hit himself in the head repeatedly during my childhood and my childhood abuse is something I've been trying to work through lately, so I believe I'm subconsciously acting out what I saw.

I'm looking for alternatives to this act. I've tried to hit a pillow but its too "soft" and hitting a table isn't satisfying and makes a lot of noise.. Any ideas?? I'll try anything.

Obviously trying to stop outright is the key which I've been doing and in the last month I've only done it once (instead of weekly) but i'm looking for something to do when I'm at a breaking point with a self harm urge.

braveSugar7964 November 10th, 2015

Hi,

I just wanted to suggest maybe a 'stress ball' type thing? You know the items which are squidgy? I wonder if one of those might help?

braveSugar7964 November 10th, 2015

Sorry, I meant to say that it probably would be fairly soft if you hit your head with it, but maybe you could give it a few squeezes first, and gradually try to build up the squeezing time, and postpone the head hitting? Anyway, good luck! Take care.

Disabledfemme OP November 10th, 2015

@braveSugar7964 i will give this a try!! thank you!

blitheSun94 November 17th, 2015

@Disabledfemme

Thank you so much for sharing. CLICK HERE for a link to a similar discussion on behavioral challenges and what can be done about them. Please note incompatible behaviors in this thread and the article in the link at the bottom. It may be useful!

This thread also lists various coping skills including expression and distraction which might help until the urge passes.

I know how immensely difficult self injury can be. I have lived with this compulsion for over ten years myself, namely cutting, but it take various forms.

Best wishes! And for you- my heart. heart

Disabledfemme OP November 17th, 2015

@blitheSun94

thank you sooo much for your reply w the link on behavioral addiction!!! <3

blitheSun94 November 19th, 2015

@Disabledfemme

Glad to help. ♡♡♡