Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Avoiding people .

Misssunshine333 June 23rd, 2021

Well in my case I dont know if anyone else also does this but if you do respond to me please I wanna know!~ so when i usually go to stores of public places if I see someone I know even if it's a best friend I freak out and hide behind something so they dont see me....I dont know why I do this and I want to be able to stop doing this

StarlitSky4762 June 23rd, 2021

@Misssunshine333 I'm sorry that you're stuggling with this issue. Avoiding other people can make life very lonely. I hope that you are able to access the psychological help you need to recover from this difficulty.

kellieanne1800 June 23rd, 2021

@Misssunshine333
Hey there, sorry you're having this trouble. What do you think is causing you to run and hide in these situations? I have social anxiety and try to avoid people I know and don't know altogether. I wouldn't say I have many close friends, however so it may be different for you. If it was me, I'd be trying to hide and avoid them because I'm afraid to make that eye contact and have an awkward conversation. Maybe you're afraid of them critisizing you for the way you look or that you'll say something stupid. You may simply just not feel like having a conversation but it's that feeling of being obligated to, otherwise you feel as if they'll criticize you anyways. Something my boyfriend reminds me often is that we don't owe anybody our time and people can't criticize you for that. I'm still working on stuff myself but I hope it gets better for you :)

QuietMagic June 23rd, 2021

@Misssunshine333

Hi there--I don't have AvPD but I can relate to social anxiety... feeling like there are eyes scrutinizing me and wanting to dig a hole in the ground and stay there for a little while until the danger passes. Slightly smiling

That need to hide you're describing makes sense if I imagine it's sort of like... if someone you know were to see you in public, it feels like maybe something bad might happen. I'm wondering if that resonates or if something like that ever crosses your mind? Feeling worried that something embarrassing might happen or you might mess up in some way that would make other people think less of you?

StarlitSky4762 June 24th, 2021

@QuietMagic thank you for having the courage to share your experiences. Your struggles are valid and important.

compassionateCat90 June 29th, 2021

@Misssunshine333 I'm so sorry you're going through this hun! Even if it's a best friend, the urge to hide is still strong. Do you think because you're in a public area that increases your social anxiety? Lots of people you don't know in the surrounding area can be a stressful feeling. I experience similar feelings in public situations due to my social anxiety whereas with just a friend with no one else around, it's a lot easier to manage. There are lots of coping mechanisms I'm sure you can look into to see what's best for you to try and help with the struggles of anxiety

StarlitSky4762 July 17th, 2021

@compassionateCat90 It makes sense that you avoid certain people and situations due to your social anxiety. It can be a really difficult thing to cope with. Thank you for making this lovely supportive post.

faithfulSailboat7096 July 15th, 2021

Yes I do it too!

StarlitSky4762 July 17th, 2021

@faithfulSailboat7096 Thank you for sharing. Your struggle is valid.

cloudySummer January 10th, 2023

@Misssunshine333 Hi - I don't know whether you're still active on 7cups, but I just saw your post here.

Yes, I do that, too - like, walk extra slowly to not have to walk together with people I know, or quickly go into a different section of the supermarket when there's someone who is likely to want to chat if they see me (vs. just greet politely).

It's kind of weird, right? I don't even know why. Possibly because I'd be ashamed of myself if they ask the wrong question.