Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Avoidant Personality Disorder [AvPD]

M4GIC January 30th, 2022

What is Avoidant Personality Disorder (AVPD)?
Avoidant Personality Disorder is a life-lasting behavior similar to social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy, and sensitivity to rejection that could potentially lead to relationships or work issues. AVPD is in the Cluster C Personality Disorders. Cluster C Personality Disorders includes both Dependent Personality Disorders (DPD) and Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorders (OCPD). Cluster C PDs are grouped by both nervousness and fear. This would cause the person who’s suffering to avoid social situations because they can get easily stressed and outcasted or feel inferior to other peers. However, the person would very much like to communicate with other people, but due to the lack of trust, they cannot achieve this. Humiliation and rejection are pretty consistent fears a person goes through daily, and this is a huge struggle. People who have AVPD struggle a ton when it comes to a work environment, making friends, and socializing in general because it can cause immense pain- emotionally and physically.

How common is AVPD?:

It affects both men and women equally. It’s estimated that around 2.4% of the US population has AVPD. Along with other PDs, symptoms can be brought up during childhood and carry on into the late teenage years. This could potentially lead to unwanted comfort as an adult, but AVPD is not typically diagnosed until early adulthood. This PD won’t go away too easily and will take time to heal.

Difference Between Social Anxiety and Avoidant Personality Disorder(AVPD):

Social Anxiety will make the person feel very nervous, panicky, self-conscious, etc. However, with social anxiety, the symptoms are less severe and occur in different social aspects, whereas AVPD, affects most of, or all of the person’s social life. With AVPD the symptoms are very severe compared to normal social anxiety. AVPD is a worsened form of SA. People with SA still see themselves as equals, whereas those with AvPD see themselves as inferior.

Avoidant Personality Disorder Symptoms:

A strong desire to be liked.
Lack of pleasure in day-to-day activities.
Self-isolation.

Lack of a social network.
Unable to initiate social contact.

Low self-esteem.

Lack of trust and assertiveness.

Misinterpreting situations.

High self-consciousness.

Anxiety in social situations.

Hypersensitivity to criticism and negative evaluations.

Avoiding relationships and social situations (work included).

Avoid promotions at work

Viewing oneself as socially inept.

Tense demeanor.

Overly cautious.

Thinking in all-or-nothing terms.

Avoids conflict.

Poor self-image.
Note: the list is incomplete.

AvPD Causes:

Avoidant Personality Disorder doesn’t have any known causes but is believed to originate from genetic, environmental, social, or psychological factors. Emotional abuse, criticism, ridicule, or lack of affection from a nurturing caregiver could lead to AVPD, along with other listed factors. Rejection from peers could be another potential risk factor.

Co-occurrences:

AVPD is likely linked to other mental health illnesses or disorders. However, it isn’t always the case! It’s most likely to be occurring with Dependency Personality Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), Substance abuse, Depression, or Agoraphobia.

How is APD Diagnosed?

If you have present symptoms of APD, you may want to see your PCP, if you have one. You may get asked questions and you may have to give a complete record of your medical history. You may get a physical done to rule out physical causes if it’s related to that. There are currently no medical lab tests that can diagnose personality disorders. If there are no known physical causes you will most likely be referred to a psychiatrist or psychologist to diagnose you as they are mental health experts. As you start therapy, it could take a few weeks to be diagnosed as APD is pervasive and it needs to be somewhat present during your sessions. AVPD is in the DSM-5 and has specific criteria for being diagnosed. These patterns must be persistent and you must meet a minimum of four or more. They are the following:

• 1. Avoids occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact because of fears of criticism, disapproval, or rejection.

• 2. Is unwilling to get involved with people unless certain of being liked.

• 3. Shows restraint within intimate relationships because of the fear of being shamed or ridiculed.

• 4. Is preoccupied with being criticized or rejected in social situations.

• 5. Is inhibited in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy.

• 6. Views self as socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others.

• 7. Is unusually reluctant to take personal risks or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing.

How can AVPD be treated?

APD isn’t something someone gets help for as much as being seen for other things. You would most likely get seen for depression, anxiety, or other mental health disorders. Not many people say (in their first session) “Oh, I think that I have AVPD.” It can take a few sessions to find out if you do, or not. If you have a co-occurring mental health disorder you could potentially be prescribed antidepressants. Otherwise, you could commit to psychotherapy (talk or group-based therapy). AvPD currently doesn’t have a cure, but you may possibly get medication if you also have depression, or something else.

How you can support someone with Avoidant Personality Disorder:

⚫Never force them into social situations.

⚫Compliment the person and help put a smile on their face.

⚫Don’t take their actions personally, they do not mean to hurt you.

⚫Offer sincere support.

Encourage them to seek professional support.

Remember you can’t fix your loved one.

Help them develop healthy coping mechanisms.

Highlight your loved one’s positive traits.

Know AvPD symptoms.

Participate in support groups.

Offer to take them somewhere.

Talk to the person with their frame of reference.

Thank you for reading this.

Here are some general use coping skills.

Quick notes: This post is based on this post: https://www.7cups.com/forum/PersonalityDisordersSupport_81/AvoidantPersonalityDisorder_1068/AvoidantPersonalityDisorder_97512/1/. And this post: https://www.7cups.com/forum/PersonalityDisordersSupport_81/ResourcesInformationonPersonalityDisorders_459/10PersonalityDisorders_46025/

Credit and References:

DSM-5 PDF Version: DSM-5 Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. (pp. 672 and 673)

Psycom: Avoidant Personality Disorder: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments

Barends Psychology Practice: Interesting avoidant personality disorder facts based on scientific articles.

PsychCentral: So Close, Yet So Far: Understanding Avoidant Personality Disorder

Psychology Today: Avoidant Personality Disorder | Psychology Today

Healthline: Avoidant Personality Disorder: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis

Very Well Mind: What Is Avoidant Personality Disorder (AVPD)?

Good Therapy: Treatment for Avoidant Personality

Web MD: Avoidant Personality Disorder: Symptoms, Treatments, and Complications

Medicine Plus: Avoidant personality disorder: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

US National Library of Medicine | National Institutes of Health: Avoidant personality disorder: current insights

Red Oak Recovery: Avoidant Personality Disorder Vs Social Anxiety: The Difference Matters

Facty: https://facty.com/conditions/mental-health/what-is-avoidant-personality-disorder/?style=quick&utm_source=adwords&adid=381222316681&ad_group_id=80468614489&utm_medium=c-search&utm_term=avoidant%20personality%20disorder&utm_campaign=FH-USA-Search-What-is-Avoidant-Personality-Disorder-Desktop&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6NOPBhCPARIsAHAy2zANRqiIJ0ysmcU-SzzIeWaIhXuZ9-E9oQ6k7ig7kR7RyrmcFWVcEpgaAvnOEALw_wcB

emotionalTalker2260 January 30th, 2022

@optimisticMagic0014

this is very informational Magic 😊 I learnt quite a bit reading this.

selfdisciplinedHemlock1837 January 2nd, 2023

I think i might have AVPD can someone help me find more out? if i have it or not it said that it’s close to social anxiety which i thought i have (and probaly really do) but reading this makes me think i rather have this and idk can someone help me?

Ilona7 January 8th, 2023

@selfdisciplinedHemlock1837 Social anxiety and AvPD are quite similar, but there are also differences between the conditions. This article explains how to distinguish them: https://psychcentral.com/anxiety/avoidant-personality-disorder-vs-social-anxiety?c=1135325430623

I have both conditions and here are a few differences I can add from my personal experience (note: this is based only on my personal experience, it may not be the same for everyone who has these conditions):
* Social anxiety tends to be more situational, like other phobias. For example, someone with a dog phobia will experience symptoms when being around a dog but not so much when there are no dogs around. Similarly, social anxiety symptoms are mainly there before, during and after a social event and are connected to that event. AvPD symptoms are more persistent and always there, just like other personality traits. For example, you always feel bad about yourself (even when you are alone), and it is hard to relax even when there are no people around. This is because the disorder has become interwoven with your personality, rather than it being about a specific situation. Of course some situations may worsen symptoms, but the symptoms will always be there to some extent.
* Social anxiety seems more connected to a fear of doing something wrong, for example embarrassing yourself or making a social mistake. So it feels like a sort of performance anxiety. With AvPD the emphasis is more on being wrong, so you have a very negative self-image, feel like something is inherently wrong with you, and have strong feelings of shame about yourself. You are afraid that other people also see this when they look at you, which causes the anxiety in social situations.
* Social anxiety tends to be worse with people you don't know. With people you know well it may still be there, but it tends to get less bad. AvPD on the other hand can actually get worse as you get to know people better, because the idea of people getting to know you frightens you. This is because you feel that if people really get to know you and learn about your deepest thoughts and feelings they will see that something is inherently wrong with you and reject you.
* With both conditions you have a tendency to avoid social interactions. For example, you may not go to parties because you are afraid of being judged or rejected. However, with AvPD the avoidance tends to be more widespread. For example, even with family members you may avoid sharing anything personal about yourself. You may also avoid things that aren't necessarily social (e.g., taking risks, starting new projects), because you lack confidence.

If you feel like you have one or both of these disorders, you could consider talking to a professional for help. It can be a struggle living with either of these conditions, but fortunately symptoms can improve through treatment.