Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Announcement: Growth Path Timeline!

Heather225 March 16th, 2021

Hey, all! How are you enjoying trying out the Community Paths? If you’re not familiar with the Growth Path Playlist yet, please hop over to the post real quick to find out what it is, and how you can get involved in creating custom paths!

Since this is a community collaboration tool, we want it to be something you can all share and connect with socially. One fun feature we’ll be adding is a Growth Path Timeline. This will be an activity feed on your bio that displays the steps you’ve taken on the custom paths!

The goal is to bring more visibility to the paths, appreciation for the community's brilliant contributions and allow you to show off all the steps you've taken!

(And if you don't want your timeline to be visible, you will be able to turn it off in your settings.)

This feature will go live this week!

And as always with anything new, we know it'll take some time to get used to, but don't be afraid to experiment and explore! If you need help, either as a builder or user, the Community Team is here for you!

gingersnappen March 16th, 2021

sounds cool, thanks for the update heather ❤️

fairyava March 16th, 2021

Thank you for the update, this is super cool!

sia1325 March 16th, 2021

@Heather225 Thanks for the update Heather! This seems really awesome!Red heart

Believe In Yourself✨

Listeningsarinn March 16th, 2021

@Heather225

thanks for updating us H *~* i'll definietly be watching out for these specially on my members' profiles ^^

DuckRebel18 March 16th, 2021

@Heather225

Sounds Cool!!

When does it start?

ExpressedEmotions March 16th, 2021

Not to be negative, but when I saw this on my profile today it felt like my personal privacy had been taken away. I turned off this option but wonder if it should not have been automatically set to off to allow members to opt in instead. Just an observation.

TaranWanderer March 19th, 2021

@ExpressedEmotions I felt this way as well, and just noticed today! So it's been up for a while... for me that was concerning because I had been writing things I wouldn't want public in the growth path, specifically because I knew it wouldn't be shared anywhere, so you can imagine my shock when I saw the "details" button! (Which thankfully didn't actually show any details) -- this would be much better as an opt-in option than an opt-out one.

There isn't even the option to delete certain ones like we had with the feed a while back :/ overall it feels like a less useful version of the feed, I'm not seeing how I could get much benefit from knowing someone took steps on their personal growth path?

ExpressedEmotions March 19th, 2021

@TaranWanderer Yes, I was glad to see the 'details' option doesn't seem to work at present but the fact that it is there has me concerned. Furthermore when we use personalized paths, even if you can't see the details, they would indicate which topic one was working on when they may not want that information on their profile. I also had concerns for those who haven't been online or didn't notice this new feature to know they needed to turn it off. Even without details it feels like personal information that we had reason to believe was private that is then made public without our express consent.

To be honest, I personally don't see how this would encourage people to use the paths at all, in some ways I could see quite the inverse because I don't want them sharing that information like this, I find it makes me self concious about using any path steps even when I have this setting turned off.

I really hope people with the means to effect change will hear, consider, and respond to this feedback as clearly I was not the only one at least concerned.

jennysunrise8 March 19th, 2021

@TaranWanderer exactly how this is helpful or fun in any way im not sure but i can definately see how it would cause a lot of anxiety as its basically a tracker for everything a person does on 7cups ... if they join a subcommunity or join a group chat it give the date when they did and just everything else - why is there a downvote button other people can downvote and comment on their activity or share it to any social media outside 7cups ?

if this exists it needs to either be not shown unless a person enables it in settings OR at the top of where it is a message letting people know they can turn it off in settings not everyone is going to see this thread - until one of those happens im going to encourage people to disable it so that people realize its optional and let people know they can do it

but even among those people who do choose to have this (please make people aware with a little message at the top or off by default soon a lot of people are going to be nervous wrecks over this and i know of one person already leaving the site because of it) why would other people be able to downvote and share it on social media and the eye at the end more details i hope some thought goes into this !

TaranWanderer March 19th, 2021

@jennysunrise8 that is so funny actually, I never even thought about downvote/sharing (in my haste to change it in my settings -- something someone not as familiar with the site might not know where to go! So I agree about having a little banner at the top would be helpful) Why would we ever downvote/dislike someone's growth or participation 😂 or have the ability to share someone else's steps off-site?? Although I did a test run and it seems like voting doesn't do much (at least externally, hopefully the random person doesn't get a notification that I tried down voting them or sharing xD) and sharing doesn't include any details of whose it is (and just seems generally pointless) -- to me, it feels like they may have just used a default "social media"-type setup for this? That maybe will be updated to remove the unnecessary features....as with most new things, probably still working out the details.

jennysunrise8 March 19th, 2021

@TaranWanderer yea hopefully its changed a lot and i didnt even think about that does the person get a notification who upvotes and who downvotes in a way seeing it and not knowing might even be worse but right there shouldnt be a downvote button at all i didnt dare try out anything else but upvoted one just seen that it could be done - i think having it an an opt in would be best because new people really dont even know yet or why not both a message at top and opt in ? and also anyone who does have it should be able to disable or not show certain things frown

TortueDesBois March 17th, 2021

@Heather225 can you please remove the exact times we work on the growth path? It's very concerning that everyone can always see the exact times that I am online. our privacy is important. Thank you.

themainjane March 17th, 2021

I spoke with others in 24/7 group support chat and at least one other person voiced the same concerns I had: this should be an "opt-in" not an "opt-out".

as one person stated: who wants that much of their private information available for all to see?

I agree. I feel that this is unwise, unsafe and not in the best interest of the members of an mental health support site. I truly question your judgement (and even your ethics). All in the hope of chasing down more "customers"?
shame on you.

am I understanding correctly that if I was not aware of this feature and did not OPT-OUT, that my personal wellness assessment test results and any thing I choose to interact with along the growth path - or even if I complete a self-help guide - that this information is available to anyone who clicks on my profile? Even worse they may link this without my knowledge or explicit consent to other social media platforms? If so, deplorable.

themainjane March 17th, 2021

scenario:

a person googles mental health support or asks google a question that leads them to Cups. This person is grappling with various mental health issues and private situational concerns.
The site guides them to various tools they can use to try and quell anxiety or find a listening ear. This person assumes their anonymity is protected. The anonymity assured by this site was a deciding factor in their feeling comfortable enough to begin to seek help. Interacting with the personal progress path and taking the steps along the path as suggested appear to be private and for their personal growth and edification.

one day someone comments on their responses to "three things I am thankful for" or "breathing exercises" or to their having viewed an exercise to curb anxiety. This new and private-in-nature member is now aware, much to their confusion and alarm, that others have been able to spy on their personal quest for mental health support all along.

Tell me how exposing their private information to increase member curiosity and possible member participation and to draw new members safeguards or respects their privacy?

what could be the possible consequences of ignoring and betraying the trust they put in you?

themainjane March 18th, 2021

@Heather225

selling out the site's members without their knowledge or consent "to bring more visibility to the paths" is a questionable business practice, would you not agree?

do your own legwork and leave me out of it. I don't have a taste for this anymore.

I'm leaving cups soon - in part over these unsound and unethical business practices. And in the mental health community? . . .

as far as business goes, I've never been fully certain what businesses Cups is actually in. Or how any of this could even be profitable. Or if it's profitable in the sense of furthering research or a puppy mill for counselors in training. I really don't know. But my instinct is it's not all sunshine and roses as is portrayed. Too much just doesn't add up.

As has been my habit, I'm aware that most of my words are unnecessary. I owe the staff of cups and any readers here an apology.

Altho it is true that I am unhappy with these new developments and am leaving cups, my unkind words were not needed. If only I were more professional or less duplicitous in my nature.. I wish I could have approached my concerns more wisely and conveyed them better and more concisely without falling into vice.

I do hope good things for this community.

mytwistedsoul March 18th, 2021

@themainjane Sometimes the truth is unkind though. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be spoken. Sometimes we all say things in the heat of the moment and maybe they could be said differently but it doesn't take away the validity of it. I think your concerns are valid Jane :)

TheFisherKing March 21st, 2021

When I first read this announcement it sounded really good. After giving it some thought, I can see a few problems that most people here have already voiced. I thought it a little odd that a site that's prides it's self for being anonymous would allow you to share someone else's entry in 12 different ways. Without the person's permission. It just seems wrong. With the time and date stamps, would you want every member to know everytime you're on here? What if they left you a message and you see it just as you're leaving but don't have time to chat with them. If they see you were on at the same time they messaged, they might get upset. If it's someone with anxiety issues, it might make it worse.

I haven't been a listener here for very long. I'm still learning the law of the land here. I'm a little disappointed to see that no one bothered to allay anyone's fear about these concerns they voiced. Even if there's nothing that can be done or if it's still being worked on. It just seems wrong to not even acknowledge their concerns.

Fisher

melonMeloncholy March 22nd, 2021

100% this would have been better executed as an opt-in. All the points and concerns brought up in this thread are fair. The focus should be helping members feel heard, and protecting anonyminity and confidentiality.