Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Favourite Childhood Books?

jonathan-borba-z1oyw2snqn8-unsplash_1719568746.jpg

As a child, I remember I loved to read! It was one of my favourite things to do and I would always be reading something! I remember that I used to love books by Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton. As a mother, my children love to read which is so nice to see! At the moment, my 2 year old daughter loves The Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle and all of the books by Julia Donaldson! She has a dedicated reading corner in her bedroom and enjoys getting all of her books out to read (we are working on encouraging tidying up!). My older daughters love Enid Blyton and Horrible Histories books. 

If you are a parent what are some of your children's favourite books? Or what were your favourite books as a child? 

Photo by Jonathan Borba on Unsplash

Want more personalized guidance? Check out my profile
Elhw June 29th

I loved books by Enid Blyton as a child too~ I used to bring them to school to read during reading period but if I remember correctly, the school banned students from reading books by Enid Blyton. I don’t recall the reason but it was really weird for me to not read them for a while.

My 20 month old loves the Campbell Big Steps series~ She loved pulling on the tabs, lifting the flaps and spinning the wheel. Makes reading really fun for her!

LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS OP July 1st

@Elhw

Oh no, that must have been so disappointing for you when you couldn't bring them to school! I can imagine it was strange as they immerse you into such a world of discovery which I particularly love about those books. 

I have seen the Campbell Big Steps Series and we have some books with tabs but not those ones! They look great. Your toddler might like some of the books with hand or finger puppets attached as they make it so much fun too :) It is great when toddlers are so enthusiastic about reading as usually they tend to be good readers when they are older too. 

akunknown July 1st

The original Boxcar Children series

Original Goosebumps series 

Give Yourself Goosebumps 

Thats all I can remember aside from comic books 😂😂

LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS OP July 8th

@akunknown

Goosebumps! I used to love those books too. :) I didn't read comics but my brother used to love them. 

akunknown July 1st

@LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS

Didn’t Roald Dali write Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? Never read the book but saw the 70s movie adaptation that was based on the book and I love it it’s one of my favorite movies that I rewatch from time to time 

@akunknown

Roald Dahl was the author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. What a fantastic writer he was and I love how his books are just timeless. I think if you can try get a copy of the book as it is an amazing book and takes you to a magical place. 

Hi everyone!! Books were my loyal companions growing up :) I absolutely loved to read and I would often leave class to go to the cozy reading dome in the library, lay down on the cushions and devour all the pages of the Nancy Drew series. If anyone was looking for me, they knew that they would find me there! My 8-year old son currently loves reading any David Williams book which are both witty and funny. We currently finished “Worlds worst pets” and now reading the “The Blunders” together!

@JohannaLiasidesMSc

Books were my loyal companions too. I love hearing how people would know where you would be at school Johanna :) Oh, we also love the David Walliams books and I took my daughters to see a play of Gangsta Granny. Thank you for sharing!

MistyMagic July 12th

@LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS

Roald Dahl is a genius, those books were a big part of reading to my children. I vividly remember something about a beard being full of food and a bird's nest?

What about Winnie The Pooh by AA Milne, I loved those!

LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS OP July 12th

@MistyMagic I remember reading about a beard being full of food too :) It was from The Twits and it really brought me to another world. My daughters have all loved reading Roald Dahl too and I agree he was such a gifted writer.

Winnie The Pooh was also amazing! Timeless classics loved by many :)

LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS OP July 12th

And what a great experience to give to your children reading these books. Some of my most treasured memories have been reading to my children as I’m sure they’ve been yours too!

MistyMagic August 11th

@LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS

I wonder . . Are, or will children's books be changed to just a screen kindle for kids or a pad? 

LisaMeighanMScGMBPsS OP August 13th

@MistyMagic

That is a good question MistyMagic. I hope not but I do think that it's becoming even more popular!