Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Tips / Help with OCD ?

astm September 15th, 2015

Hi! I'm making post to reach out because my OCD is driving me crazy.

I think about my obsession from the moment I wake up till I go to sleep at night. And I can't control my compulsions.

Does anyone have any tips to share ? Something that has helped you, like a book or a video, or some technique that made easier to control your thoughts. I would appreciate anything that you could suggest. Please write it if something comes to mind.

Thank you for your support.

raspberryWest8835 September 15th, 2015

I have noticed that if I realize I have gone down the rabbit hole of an obsessive thought I usually repeat something over and over again. Something random like "purple tomato." Something that your brain needs to create an image of. I concentrate on the image and say it over and over again and eventually it helps me stop obsessing.

astm OP September 15th, 2015

Thank you! I'll try it out.

Just to share my experience: I have what is called "Moral Scrupulosity OCD", and I can't stop thinking about the fact that I'm a bad person, that I need to be aware all the time of my actions and thoughts or I would be bad for society, that I deserve to be punished, that I'm less than others, etc.

At the end of the day it is still just an obsession. I'm sure you know in your heart if hearts that those thoughts are just your brain being OCD. Haha.

I know but I can't stop them sad

You can! I have OCD too and it is a pain! Only way to deal with it is to believe that it is something you can change. Work hard at redirecting your brain. When you first start out it feels like you spend days on end redirecting but it works :) I promise.

samwisegamgee September 15th, 2015

Just wanted to tell you that I have this too! I always feel super responsible for things and I feel very uncomfortable and get very upset and stressed out when I can't resolve the thing I feel responsible for.

September 15th, 2015

What about this: http://www.anxietybc.com/sites/default/files/adult_hmocd.pdf :)

It's a self-help guide. Hope it helps

Thank you! I'll check it out.