Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Hoarding Disorder: what causes it?

IceCream4IceCream September 14th, 2021

Image Credits: Created by Maria Migalko and posted on ArtStation. All Credits to the creator. I don't own this image.

So we've explored what Hoarding Disorder is, but what causes it? As with any neurospychiatric condition, there is usually some contribution of nature (biology), and nurture (environmental factors). This could include genetics—often many different genes contribute tiny amounts to developing a condition—differences in brain functioning (including in brain development, brain lesions, the impact of stroke/surgery/brain injury/ infection; imbalances in chemical messengers called neurotransmitters), and stressful life events according to an article by Mayo Clinic and MedicineNet. There isn't usually a single cause and researchers are still trying to narrow down what potential causal factors could be.

Moreover, the article suggests that Hoarding usually starts when you're in your pre-teen to teenage years—between 11-15 years old—and this trajectory worsens as you grown older. It is more frequently seen in older adults which suggests age is a risk factor: you're more likely to have it if you're older but age itself doesn't "cause" you to develop it.

Other risk factors include having: (a) trouble making decisions, (b) family members with Hoarding Disorder or other neuropsychiatric conditions, and (c) difficult experiences like the early childhood deprivation, trauma, the death of someone important to you/ losing your home/marital issues, etc.

What do you think about the causes of Hoarding Disorder? Do you have any thoughts about it?

Keep a look out for Icebreakers, Check Ins, Games, Forum, Discussions, and more!

Subscribe to this post to hear about our latest events, or check out the Community Calendar!

Interested in following the Support Plus sub-community? Join our Tag List and become a subscriber here!

Want to join the Support Plus Leadership Team? Express your interest here. (This is not an application form, but a way to collect information so we can reach out to you accordingly <3)

For general feedback about the sub-community, we're all ears.

For all other enquiries, feel free to message jovialButterfly6752.

Tagging a few people who might be interested: @kindLemonade, @ouiCherie, @musicalHarmony, @HopieRemi, @Optimisticempath, @TruthIsInU, @Lucy2

Updated by jovialButterfly6752 on September 16th, 2021 to make formatting changes.

lovelyWhisper66 September 14th, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752 Hey jovial, lovely, well organized post! Hoarding Disorder is definitely not a common disorder I hear about, so I am glad you wrote this post. Nature and nurture certainly both contribute to its development, and certain people have a certain disposition to it depending on their experiences and biological attributes.

IceCream4IceCream OP September 16th, 2021

@lovelyWhisper66

I appreciate your invaluable insights as always ❤️

roseMelody95 September 17th, 2021

@lovelyWhisper66

Yes, and I think stigma around it also plays a part in how little we hear about it. Most people who struggle with this won't reach out for this reason. That's part of why it's so good we create more awareness around less common disorders - if they are even really uncommon at all or just under-reported. I know when I worked as a cleaner when I was younger, I found that many people seemed to be struggling with this to some degree, and they were embarrised to need to ask a professional cleaner to come in and help them with it.

HopieRemi September 14th, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752

lovely post as always! Thank you for taking the time to post it.

@HopieRemi

Thank you for all your support💖💖

Optimisticempath September 14th, 2021

Thankyou for remembering me and for tagging @jovialButterfly6752 . Great to know more information on the same . heart

@Optimisticempath

Of course ❤️! Glad you found this post informative ❤️

roseMelody95 September 17th, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752

I think it's so important to create more awareness of these kinds of less common issues. Thank you for making this post!