Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Help with a unique OCD? (First post!)

FatiCR November 15th, 2023
Help with a unique OCD? (First post!)

Hello. I am teen member and I have been suffering with a unique compulsion whenever I am in public spaces. It can be any public space, even my family. I am not currently diagnosed with anything, but at this point its pretty clear that my mind has sabotaged my social life and relationships. It has caused months of depression. 

I still have friends but because of my anxiety and difficulty with dealing with emotions, I've been having problems with them recently. I came here as a result, to hopefully find some help.

When I am near someone, unless I am completey relaxed or familiar with that person, I get anxiety or emotions that make me uncomfortable. I become afraid that my eyes will look like I am staring at that person, and I have even caught myself uncontrollably, compulsively look at people that I don't want to intentionally look at.

Its, weird, I know, I don't even know where it could of really gotten this severe. It slowly built up over time because more instances of severe and constant compulsions build up. 

It sabotages my social life so much that people I have never talked to begin to not like me for this reason.

Because of this, I feel like and do believe that no one I go to school with likes me or finds me odd and weird. I don't know how to deal with this other than spending up to an hour everyday to prepare for school the next day.

I did some research and apparently it is a thing, peripheral OCD, but it is uncommon I think?

I don't know. I feel like some help and reassurance to deal with it can help me allot. I deal with this nearly everyday. I am not trying to self-diagnose either, it is just that I deal with this anytime I am not alone and I can't help but reach out for help.

Mya000 November 20th, 2023

@FatiCR Hi there, thank you for reaching out and sharing your feelings. It takes courage to open up about what you're going through. It's commendable that you're seeking help and looking for ways to navigate through this. It might be beneficial to discuss your experiences with a psychologist who can provide guidance tailored to your situation. Additionally, discussing your feelings with someone you trust, like a friend or family member, might offer valuable support. Remember, you're not alone, and there are resources available to help you navigate through this. Take care!