Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Pickers?

hopeanchor January 31st, 2016

I feel weird bringing this up, because at 32, I have been doing this my whole life, and aside from family telling me to "stop doing that!" this really hasn't been a problem for anyone but me... and even I am not convinced it is a big deal.

I pick. If I get a blemish, or dry skin, or hang nails, I pick them. It doesn't matter if it hurts, or if it is taking forever to heal, I have an incredibly hard time leaving it alone, unless I put a bandaid on it. Then if I bandage it (particularly if it is on my face) I am afraid it will draw more attention to it. All of this doesn't usually bother me that much until I get an infection that hurts (usually a hangnail) or a spot that will not seem to heal (like the one in my hairline right now that's been there since October). I just wondered if there was anyone else out there who does this? Or if someone knows why a person might do this? Also, what could be the health consequences of a lesion that won't heal?

Harry53 January 31st, 2016

You may have skin picking disorder (SPD) or Excoriation disorder. If you Google one of these disorders you will find helpful information on the Internet.

hopeanchor OP January 31st, 2016

@Harry53 thank you, I had Googled it awhile back and only came up with ocd, which I felt skeptical of. This is definitely it though.

I do know that I pick more during the school year, but there doesn't seem to be much I will be able to do about that source of stress. I just feel a little shocked by how well this defines my picking, right down hunting down and focusing on imperfections in my skin. It could definitely be related to my anxiety. Thank you for naming it for me.

WanderingGeek January 31st, 2016

I pick, too! I mostly just pick at acne and dry skin on my arms, but it's cause a lot of damage over the past four years. I don't really know what the cause is, but at least you aren't alone. :)

Theuglyduck January 31st, 2016

I do that too! I pick at my skin constantly I also have a nasty habit of pulling out individual strands of my hair