Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Body Dysmorphic Disorder : The Causes

IceCream4IceCream September 7th, 2021

Image Credits: Posted by Daniela Brown on Flickr. All credits to the creator. I don't own this image.

As with many other mental health conditions, there is never usually 1 cause for Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD). It is always a combination of biological and environmental factors.

According to Mayo Clinic (Oct 29, 2019), a family history of BDD and brain differences are some of the biological indicators of BDD. This relates to how genes contribute to developing it. If not BDD itself, relatives of a person with BDD might have other mental health conditions like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Having a mental condition
apart from BDDlike Depression, Anxiety Disorders, Eating Disorders, and Body Focused Repetitive Behaviours (to name a few) make you more likely to have BDD yourself. The Cleveland Clinic (November 14th, 2020) also suggests that imbalances in chemical messengers called "neurotransmitters" could contribute too.

Environmental factors include stressful life events like neglect/abuse/bullying; characteristics like perfectionism, and society's beauty standards can be triggers that increase the chances of you developing BDD.

What do you understand about BDD and it's causes? Is there anything you'd like to share?

Keep a look out for Icebreakers, Check Ins, Games, Forum, Discussions, and more!

Subscribe to this post to hear about our latest events, or check out the Community Calendar!

Interested in following the Support Plus sub-community? Join our Tag List and become a subscriber by clicking the blue "join this community" button here!

Want to be a part of the Support Plus Leadership Team? Express your interest here! (This is not an application form, but a way to collect information so we can reach out to you accordingly <3! )

For general feedback about the sub-community, we're all ears.

For all other enquiries, feel free to message jovialButterfly6752 .
HopieRemi September 10th, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752

Thank you Jovi for this post!

IceCream4IceCream OP September 10th, 2021
@jovialButterfly6752

Tagging some people who might be interested!

@theriverissinging @aliceaspiringpsychiatrist @wonderfulRainbow817 @sunshinegiraffe123 @jovialSunshine5049 @ouiCherie @JK8287 @Anomalia @musicalHarmony @kindLemonade

Feel free to tag others who you think might want to read this.
theriverissinging September 10th, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752 oh wow, thank you for tagging me, jovi!
I really like how the causes just make so much sense. It's good to acknowledge them, in a way? haha! Thanks for making another great post!
Tagging some cuties @Xe @JustOneMoreEpisode @BloomingSakura

JustOneMoreEpisode September 10th, 2021

@theriverissinging
thanks river for tagging me to see this insightful post❤
Jov, thanks for taking your time collecting all the details and writing this amazing post!

ouiCherie September 10th, 2021

@jovialButterfly6752

Thanks for this informative post. Hope we all can be mindful with those possible causes!

wonderfulRainbow817 September 11th, 2021

Such an informational post. I will be honest, I am familiar with this condition but not really a lot so it was very beneficial for me to read.