Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Motivation, procrastination, anxiety

BetterDreams657 October 25th, 2023

it seems like it’s always easy to get into the flow and do things when you feel inner motivation to complete the task. Then there is the outside pressure when there is a deadline and you’ve started working on things way too late. And my favorite kind, mix of anxiety, fear of failure and avoidant procrastination, usually by doing something related but not on the point. I struggle to keep the flow state going, or rather to start a new task more often than not, even though once I start, I enjoy working on that task. And last minute panic never renders full results, and I never finish anything early. Any thoughts on how to change that mindset, how to deal with the anxiety, especially when there are things happening in life that are dragging you down?

PineapplePickles October 27th, 2023

@BetterDreams657

I appreciate your honest sharing of your experiences with motivation, procrastination, and anxiety. It's a common struggle, and you're not alone in feeling this way.

The first step in addressing this is self-awareness, which you've already shown by recognizing the various challenges you face. Here are a few thoughts that might help you change your mindset and cope with anxiety:

1. Break Tasks Down: Consider breaking larger tasks into smaller, more manageable parts. This can make the work feel less overwhelming and reduce anxiety.

2. Set Realistic Goals: Be gentle with yourself and set achievable goals. This can help you build a sense of accomplishment and reduce anxiety related to failure.

3. Time Management: Explore time management techniques like the Pomodoro method(a timer) or time blocking to help structure your work and maintain focus.

4. Mindfulness and Relaxation: Incorporate mindfulness or relaxation exercises to reduce anxiety. Simple techniques like deep breathing or meditation can be effective. Try these 7 Cups mindfulness exercises!

5. Seek Support: Don't hesitate to reach out to friends, family, or a therapist who can provide emotional support and help you develop coping strategies. Browse Listeners Here!

6. Focus on Self-Care: Take care of your physical and emotional well-being. A healthy lifestyle can have a positive impact on your motivation and anxiety levels.

Regarding life challenges, remember that it's okay to prioritize self-care when you're going through tough times. Self-compassion and seeking support when needed are key.

Changing your mindset and dealing with anxiety are ongoing processes, and it's essential to be patient with yourself. Each small step you take toward improvement is a step in the right direction. You have the strength to navigate these challenges, and I'm here to support you along the way! 💪💖

EmpathysGarden October 29th, 2023

@PineapplePickles

this is an awesome set of advice!! If I can build onto this, I’ll just leave a short message: 

I totally recommend Andrew Hubbermans new podcast episode on will power and tenacity. It addresses your concerns (which I share with you, my ADHD traps me in anxious, avoidant procrastination as well) and explains how motivation is how we get things done but we increase motivation by increasing our will power and tenacity. There are many ways to do this! 

You’re never alone, thank you for being brave and reaching out :)