Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Book Recommendations

coffeetalks3723 January 16th, 2022

Any book recommendations that can help with mental health?

anonyLemon4233 January 16th, 2022

@coffeetalks3723 the mindful way through depression

fruityPond7887 April 15th, 2022

@coffeetalks3723 I really enjoy just reading anything that catches my eye! Reading helps me get out of my own head and to focus on the story at hand. It's almost like going into another world for a little while :-)

JenniferPattersonLMFT April 15th, 2022

@coffeetalks3723

I've been reading The Choice: Embrace the Possible by Dr. Edith Eva Eger and I really like it, it is very compelling and it's a nice glimpse into the practice of self and therapy of a therapist.

HOWEVER, big trigger warning, she writes about her experience in Auschwitz concentration camp and her subsequent trauma process.

shymaa123 April 15th, 2022

First we make the beast beautiful this book is highly recommended for anxiety

Hamstermum April 15th, 2022

The Book of Silence and How To Be Alone by Sarah Maitland are good for those who don't know the difference between having time to ourselves and being lonely.

sincereBlueberry5578 April 15th, 2022

The body keeps the score

terra9201 April 15th, 2022

Beverly Engel - The Nice Girl Syndrome_ Stop Being Manipulated and Abused and Start Standing Up for Yourself (2008) , helped a lot with trauma and shed a lot insight regarding learned helplessness.

endearingTree12 April 15th, 2022

Loving What Is by Byron Katie

This book and the included exercise helps one to accept things as they are and disconnect from automatic emotional reactions.

Trigger warning, there is a place she addresses sexual abuse toward the end which can be very challenging to read. If one wants to use this method with abuse and violent victimization, it may be helpful to work with a therapist.

TreaureSeekers3 April 15th, 2022

Those sound like good books. Looked it up. I like the alone one and the body keeps the score. I do suffer anxiety and depression but couldn’t find more info on that one. I tried looking up that body keeps the score one and don’t have it on app

@AuroraBriarRose awww thank you. Will try that. I don’t use the library anymore really. I do have one. I usually get it from online or in book stores if I like the sound of one. Thanks.

@AuroraBriarRose thanks for your help. I have got an app I saw today what has books I can read for free. QuickRead it’s called but I don’t know if they give out the full book version. Might just be a few chapters why it’s called that. Do you know? Thanks for that.

I haven’t heard of any those

I would suggest books like fear the fear and do it anyway, fern cotton happiness, happy mind happy life by Dr Ranghan and toxic personalities. Those are good

peixuan April 15th, 2022

hi @coffetalks3723! Really glad u asked for help. Here are a few book recommendations, that provided insights when I struggled to understand my emotions and grappled with anxiety/mental health. Hope you may benefit from them too! ☺️

1. When breathe becomes air by Paul Kalanithi

A biography of a neurosurgeon battling his life and stage 4 lung cancer in his late 30s. The book talks about the uncomfortable topic: the challenge of facing death and the meaning of life.

2. Reasons to stay alive by Matt Haig

A true story from the author who shared his journey on how he had a breakthrough from mental illness and learn to live again. To a certain degree, the story is like a personal diary that sheds light of the real issues when dealing with depression.

3. Retrain your brain: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy workbook in 7 weeks by Seth. Gillihan, PhD (an ongoing read)

This is a good exercise book, that helps me to pay careful attention to my thought patterns and how our thoughts, emotions and behaviours are interconnected with each other as a cycle. This guidebook helps to point out the trigger points of what prevents us from experiencing the peace and compassion that we need most towards ourselves.

Currently, I am onto another book by Stephen Grosz titled "The examined life | How we lose and find ourselves." The book covers the theme of loss and pain in 3 to 5 pages length short stories, from a psychoanalyst experience with his patients. You can check this out too if this interest you 🌱.

fruityPond7887 April 17th, 2022

@peixuan (Spoiler Alert!) I read "When Breathe Becomes Air!" It was such a beautifully written book. Didn't his wife finish it because he passed before he could? The book had me in tears by the end, especially since he left behind his daughter. 😞

TryingTBH2021 April 15th, 2022

@coffeetalks3723

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini.

It helped me loads to understand my depression, and even though the ending is not that realistic, it's the right kind of hopeful. I needed that.

The audiobook is available in youtube.

It can be downloaded via Z-library for free.

TryingTBH2021 April 15th, 2022

@TryingTBH2021

TW: suicidal ideation

gracefulUnicorn8093 April 15th, 2022

I’d say “the Happiness Project” by Gretchen Rubin. She talked about how she fixed her habits and improved her (and her family) life by setting small little goals to work on every month. For those like me, whose first language isn’t English, it’s quite easy to read too. Her book will make you think and reflect yourself.

totally worth to read

BruceWayne05 April 15th, 2022

@coffeetalks3723

The Bible

Bajabassist2 April 15th, 2022

@coffeetalks3723

I've been reading Turn Your Pain into Art by Ariel Bloomer. Technically it's a memoir, but she has dealt with severe depression and has some pretty interesting and helpful tips on how she was able to learn to love herself through the process of making music(she's got a kickass band, btw. Highly recommend!) I'll put a general trigger warning as well; she does talk about self-harm, but isn't descriptive about it and its only for a couple short chapters.

Prachi9876 April 15th, 2022

@coffeetalks3723

Mindset by Carol Dweck

loneplanet117 April 15th, 2022

@coffeetalks3723

The happiness trap - russ harris

enthusiasticTortoise6681 April 17th, 2022

@coffeetalks3723 the toa de ching

danielioan April 19th, 2022

@coffeetalks3723 Carl Jung's books.

DaltonBufordZone April 19th, 2022

@coffeetalks3723 A REALLY good book I recommend is called "The Great Gatsby" it's so.. intriguing. It pulls you in and makes you feel like you're in the story, watching. Also, i would recommend the Daniel X Series because of the same reason.