Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

working with our emotions

mikhaela May 3rd, 2022

Our emotions have a special role in our daily life specially when it comes to dealing with any situations and decision making. Also it has a power to ruin our interpersonal relationships, day-to-day interactions when they are out of control. The question is, how are we going to work with our emotion?

You can give any tips, what you do when you feel like you emotions rule you. Or how you control it.

Let me start... when i feel like i cant control myself out of anger, i take a deep breath. walk out. calm myself down. talk to myself telling myself "calm down". think of the situation and stop blaming other person.. for this my anger subsides.. if i cant talk about it after. i just let things go as if nothing happens.

VioletSpringGlade June 9th, 2022

@mikhaela

I agree. I think that emotional awareness and regulation is the most important skill we can have/learn. I love your tips. Some other ideas:

-talk to a counsellor or good active listener

-exercise most days, get out of comfort zone but not overwhelm ourselves

-eat as well as we can manage, many foods are calming or over-stimulating and our nervous system needs good nutrients.

-breathe slow deep diaphragmatic breaths. Allow the emotion to come and go, like the waves at the beach wash over your feet then go away. Most of the trouble occurs when we try to avoid or fight or fear the emotion. Underneath it there is often other emotions like sadness, grief. And unrealistic thoughts like 'I am not good enough'.

mikhaela OP June 11th, 2022

@VioletSpringGlade

thank you for your good tips/ ideas.

Upon reading this ' am i not good enough?' i can' t help but smile as this was my thoughts again and again in the past especially when i feel like i did all my best. but i realized that it's like questioning my worth. and thats not a good idea. though sometimes we cant help feeling down. ya right. just breathe😄

amiableStrings5290 June 13th, 2022

Yes, I agree. Just breathe.

discreetWillow7923 June 13th, 2022

These are great tips!â˜ș

When I get overwhelmed I take a few minutes to meditate. I try to do it every day in the mornings to start myself off on the “good foot” and it really makes a difference.

SkyblueClementine1798 August 2nd, 2022

i don’t think that emotions can even be controlled so I don’t control it 
. Sounds very beginner level mindfulness but I learned that we don’t control our emotions ;)

mikhaela OP August 22nd, 2022

@SkyblueClementine1798

its not like you control it literally. you're simply working on it😀