Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mindfulness DBT Skill Observe-2

RumpleSteeleSkin January 19th, 2018

Image result for observe just notice

Hi everyone-I hope you are all doing wellsmiley

Now I'd like to "piggyback" off of the last thread you read and just OBSERVE. Nothing else. As that is what the skill Observe means. To just observe. So I thought today we take a walk at the beach and just observe things around us, things we feel and think....and do nothingsmiley

ok everyone come and join me on a walk at the beach just observing...

On a warm and bright summer afternoon, you decide to take a walk on your favorite beach by yourself. The path leading to the ocean is surrounded by wild golden bushes. Everything along the path smells of sea and sun. Butterflies are flapping their wings above the goosefoot and the pollen stirred by the butterflies is visible in the afternoon sunshine. A salty ocean breeze is gently caressing your face. The late afternoon sun is warming your skin and is gilding the whole area with a spectacular hue of gold. The vast and endless blue sky is decorated with a few floating white clouds. You can hear the rustling of leaves of tall palm trees not far from the shores. In the distance seagulls are gliding over the blue ocean. Their cries often reach your ears. Together with waves from the ocean, it forms a tranquilizing orchestra. Arriving at the beach, you are pleased by the pure white and soft sand, as you have always been. The beach extends on both sides endlessly. A few beautiful shells like gems in the sand are sparking in the sunshine. You decide to take off your shoes and walk barefooted. The grains of warm sand massage your bare feet. The sound of the waves washing up against the shore is peaceful and tranquilizing. You keep walking along the shore. Once in a while, you bend down and pick up a few shining seashells.

Each wave breaks against the coast, rising slowly upward along the beach, leaving an area of white foam. Slowly the wave retreats back out to sea, only to be replaced by another wave that washes up against the shore…working its way up the beach…then slowly retreating back out to sea. With each motion of the wave as it glides in and then out, you find yourself feeling more and more relaxed. The tranquility creates a sense of calmness and peace. You forget about time. You dont know how much time has passed. You realize that the sun is lower and lower on the horizon. The sky is turning brilliant colors of red…orange…yellow…while the sun sets, sinking down…down into the horizon. You feel very relaxed and soothed. You continue to watch the sun as it descends. The tranquilizing sound of the waves, the smell and taste of the sea and seaweed, the cries of the seagulls, the warmth of sunshine against your body—all of these sigts,sounds, and smells leave you feeling very calm, refreshed, and relaxed.

So, how was the walk on the beach? Did you manage to just observe and not judge anything about your walk? Did you find things distracting or hard? Please share here on your thoughtsheart

@awesomerainbow @adocker @adventurousfan @Ady23 @amicableBlackberry1972 @AutumnLeigh @amiablePeace77 @AMusicalSilence @astray @AnActiveListener @AjanMalic @aifos1976 @agreeablekite4304 @asilentobserver @alfalfasproutdeux @ambitiouschestnut9158 @ambitiouscity3124 @basty @blueocean @BillyWilson @babybenfin @behindhazeleyes @beloved316 @BetterTogether101 @billywilson @blindfaith @BlueberryFriend @BlueMossWeaver27 @blueocean45 @borderinline @brainybrainy @BridgetAileen @brilliantTurtle89 @BuddhistDracula @blueDiamond @brilliomturtle89 @bluewolf1229 @benevolentOrange31 @bk20102kb @butterflycat @callforhelp @Char1otte @cloudySummer @Zayb4you14 @compassionatelistener108 @CrissiArabela @Claito @calmHero86 @courtmarievibes @Cyanapricot8399 @cyanWater7627 @diplomaticShade2167 @Deeperblue @discreetOwl14 @eeveeon @elmira73 @enigmaforte @EnigmaForte @emilyLanes @EmOnTheGo @EmunahHere @equanimousCosmos@Evaparker02 @essdee Fairhouse @FreeSoul1417@fighter23 @Gaara @GhostInTheShellx @gongoozlersoup19 @Gozzil @happydandan @helpfulHuman4993 @Harleemoon @HeckhoundBreaker5 @Hereyzzil @hopeless104 @IcyLight @InvisibleAngel92 @Itsybitsyspider91 @inventiveOrange1 @JayTheBird14 @joyoussun45 @JustMarije @KenMachine @kindsoul10 @kirtokun0731@kevan @klemen @knowledge57 @Kodachrome73 Joe2017 @JustLikeMellie @Jenna0903 @joyoussun47 @JenSee @Kanzi @KatMae @KokoroHereForYou @KrinkTheMellowUnicorn @kvo8 @KattPiper @Lionellinu13 @lia345 @Learntolive @LilaGrace @lightforlife @lilynoelle @LilyLila @lightofhope89 @Lovejoy @leothelittlelioncub1 @longing4peace @maibock @marsmoon @melliontm @Mellietronx @Mikey123 @Musicismyfriend @NoDramaBabyLlama @nourrirvotreame @obie2 @oxfordshiregatsby @passionateCircle3866 @passionatepeyton @peacefulwarrior10 @penguinpower31 @peppermintlove @phoenixAsh @PiecesofYou @Pininin @PinkMallow @pizzalover1341 @politeAvocado7234 @politelychaotic @princessofcurcus @probius @psalm139 @PurpleSnowflake2310 @Power @politeskies6536 @PurpleNina @rachelq @Ravenclaw7 @Reokiome0928 @RoninSelecta @rosesway @Rcusick12 @rumplesteeleskin @RynnTheBedouin @sailorelix @Saif1for1Resilience @Saltydog68 @ Samar27 @Santysan @SarilinaN @ScarletPear1945 @SensitiveApple @sensitiveShade5337 @ShiningSalamander99 @silverIceCream21 @silverWillow1625 @singblue @Sk1ttles @SkolSuper1976 @smileyPower @SofieSof @Softforesthsp77 @soulrestorer102 @soulsings @Spearstar @stillLavender24 @sujaypai @SunFern @summertimesamness @SunFlower @supportingearthangel @sweetmango91 @sweetMelody95 @ThePersonYouCanNeverKnow @TheRoseHeartz @TheSciKid @tjb28 @tisjme @TrinnitysLight81 @24x7Awesome @TwirlGirl90 @Understandinggirl1990 @victoriia @wildcat85 @Wawas @westvirginia @wizeakre @XxOgSpunBbygrl @yzzil @zeraphim

To add or remove your name, please submit this short form http://goo.gl/NQxyyb

cloudySummer January 19th, 2018

@RumpleSteeleSkin

I enjoyed it. Thanks, Rumple, for taking me on a walk :)

However, I found the text was already judging and making assumptions, by the choice of words, which were all positive and not neutral (e.g. a breeze that caresses the face etc.). So it felt more like being in someone else's mind, because who knows if I would have liked it the same way? (actually, I probably would have, but I know people who do not like to walk on sand, for example). So, that I found a bit distracting, as it didn't do what I thought it was supposed to do.

RumpleSteeleSkin OP January 19th, 2018

@cloudySummer

HI Cloudy thank you for being here today and for this feedbacksmileyI'm sorry it wasn't right for you. I shared come take a walk with me.................

I was only focusing to just observe skill. To just to that is very hard-even for me at times. I wanted people just to take that walk and let their brain be free, of everything and anything and just observe. But you did bring up a good concern. Im going to look into this more

cloudySummer January 20th, 2018

@RumpleSteeleSkin No, it was fine! As I wrote, I enjoyed it (the second part of the message only is longer because it's more difficult to explain, length doesn't equal importance). It would have been boring if it had been completely neutral. Just shows that it's hard to do ;-)

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn January 20th, 2018

@RumpleSteeleSkin - i liked that it kind of showed me how to be observant and also took me along on the walk <3

RumpleSteeleSkin OP January 20th, 2018

@KrinkTheMellowUnicorn

HI Krink good to see you. It was wonderful to have you and my other friends on this walk

amiablePeace77 January 19th, 2018

@RumpleSteeleSkin

i liked the walk, particularly seeing me picking up the seashells. in the beginning i was comparing that beach to our beach here, so yes, there was judgement involved.

RumpleSteeleSkin OP January 19th, 2018

@amiablePeace77

Hey there Peace good to see yousmiley Glad you liked the walk with me! Yes judging...that is a biggie. But please it is ok- as I was writing this up I was thinking of work and my new client-lol We as humans judge automatically-it just happens. But to catch ourselves is another thing. I for example was judging..... and I told myself it was ok.

I reminded myself of the beaches in Chicago Illinois and to what I wrote. But I kindly brought myself back to THIS beach. So I'm with you on the "judging" part. Next time you find yourself judging just kindly say"hey you come back here"heart

amiablePeace77 January 19th, 2018

@RumpleSteeleSkin

yes, i will try that. wandering around for a short while is ok but becoming aware of it and coming back is essential ❤

January 20th, 2018

Sorry Rumple

I could not see my way. I read and I lost the ability to feel like I was there on the walksad

RumpleSteeleSkin OP January 20th, 2018

@scarletPear1945

HI Pear good you are here. Hey-hugsheart It is ok really. Some of these skills you just do thissurpriseno

But thing is you tried. To just observe can be very hard to do at first. We are not done yet on this skill. We want to make sure people are understanding it before we move on to the next one. Later today Ill do another "Just Observe" example skill

hugsheart

KateDoskocilova September 11th, 2023

@RumpleSteeleSkin thank you for this!

JasGab200519970 September 11th, 2023

This is a great exercise rumple ❤️I think what would be distracting for me would be salty ocean breeze on face (I mean what if a fish jumps out and hits me on the face 😂😂)

OnlyDarkness September 11th, 2023

@RumpleSteeleSkin Not at all. It was a Lovely Day and the Beach was Terrific and the Temperature was just right not to Hot or Cool. The gulls were happy and so were the other two people who were there for the first time in a long time.I Wish I could Go back Tomorrow but that’s just a pipe dream to Me now, Que, Sera, Sera . I’m going to make it . Let It Be the 7cups Theme .😉😎