Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Grounding Techniques: The 5 Senses

BriTheSelflessFriend171 February 2nd, 2021

Hello, loves! Grounding techniques are extremely important! This is especially so when you are having a panic attack, anxiety attack, or PTSD related flashbacks. These techniques bring you back to reality to help you think more clearly and rationally! The one I will be telling you all about today is to connect to your 5 senses, one at a time! šŸ’• To start, you will name 5 things you can see. This will help your brain to better comprehend what is around you and what is not! Then, you will name 4 things you can feel. This keeps you mindful of your body and your direct surroundings. Next, you will name 3 things you can hear. This helps you to focus in on whatā€™s happening in your direct surroundings rather then whatā€™s playing in your mind. After this, you name 2 things you can smell. This helps to start tying all of your physical feeling together. And finally, one thing you can taste. One you go through the full exercise, you are much more mindfully aware of what is directly around you! This helps you to realize a genuine truth rather then the rouse your mind may have created! It could also help to do some mindful deep breaths before and after to also assist in calming yourself. Itā€™s as simple as deeply breathing in, holding for 3 seconds, then slowly breathing out. Please reply and let me know any quick grounding techniques you use!! I canā€™t wait to hear from you šŸ’•. You are loved, and you are valid ā¤ļø

yzzil February 2nd, 2021

Hi, Funny, I just did this with my 2 nd graders. šŸ˜Š

soulsings February 2nd, 2021

@yzzil wow that is fabulous. How did they like it.

Always good to see you here !

yzzil February 2nd, 2021

HEY SOUL!! Nice to see you. Iā€™ve been doing Mindful breathing with the entire school, when we were in school lol. The kids donā€™t know we are working on grounding skills, but they remind me if for some reason class doesnā€™t start with our MM. lol. Today we did sensory grounding. They had to find 3 things in their house- from where they were sitting, for each sense but taste. Thatā€™s a difficult one for school lol. They were into it lol. Iā€™ve also done ā€œsafe spaceā€ visualization with them. I love seeing all their little faces, eyes closed and breathing, on my computer screen lol

BriTheSelflessFriend171 OP February 4th, 2021

Thatā€™s awesome! Youā€™re such an awesome teacher c: I wish I had a teacher like you!

RumpleSteeleSkin February 4th, 2021

@BriTheSelflessFriend171

Hello Bri nice to see you hereheart

Hello, Rumble!!! Iā€™m so glad I am here c: I love seeing that Iā€™m making a difference in the world ā¤ļø

@soulsings

Nice to see you SoulSingsheart

soulsings February 4th, 2021

@RumpleSteeleSkin

Nice to see you too !

@yzzil

HI Yzzil how did they like it?

LauraPandora1 February 4th, 2021

This is so helpful. I've been trying to use methods like this to calm me and my partner when we have panic attacks but this one seems incredible! Thank you for sharing šŸ™Œ

You are so welcome!! Let me know how it works for you and your partner šŸ’• Iā€™d love to hear c:

yzzil February 4th, 2021

@RumpleSteeleSkin. They loved it. They like the part where we discuss all their answers lol. We will work up to not sharing. As we continue to work on this, Iā€™ll add in some guided imagery during our Mindful Minute. That will work up to their developing a safe space in their mind to help when things are bad. I love my job. šŸ˜

barncat February 4th, 2021

This sounds like a simple way to get grounded - love the five senses approach.