Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

coming out?

halfmysoul April 12th, 2023

so i'm out to my parents as transgender. they don't exactly care,not meaning that they're fine with it but that they don't want to provide any support and believe that i should wait until i'm a fully independent adult (and even then, they threaten to not respect my gender identity.) . i am socially out to my school, going by the name axel, and to closer friends i go by achilles as well.

my parents are unwilling to get me a binder, use my pronouns, and only use my name to tease me affectionately, which i mostly learned to stop caring about. my dad dislikes the name axel because it's just the name alex mixed up (my previous ab^ser). i want to tell them i go by achilles... but how? i don't think it's something i can just... casually bring up, especially with them.

any tips would be appreciated <3

Mdreaming101 April 17th, 2023

@halfmysoul

Thanks for sharing on the site here. I don't have any tips. In fact what I write here may align with your parents. I believe they have your best interest at heart. I don't know what a binder is but you should definitely wait until after 18 to start anything related to your gender identity. You are still at a developing stage.

When it comes to using pronoun, you can choose whatever you want to be but you cannot force anybody to follow in your ideology. If they refuse to use it, you should also respect them for their belief as well. In the end, the best way is to still speak with your parents.

I wish you the best.