Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Situationship

staceystoro January 29th, 2023

Hey everyone. I was dating a girl for almost one year. We had a planned breakup because she was moving away to a different state for grad school. I wanted to do long distance but she didn’t want to. Our plan was to stay friends after the breakup and I was hoping she would still be in my life somehow because she wasn’t only my partner but my best friend. Anyways I told her that she needed to be the first one to reach out to me if she wanted me still in her life. It has been 7 months of silence. We have not spoken since the last day and I feel so incredibly hurt. I did not think the ending of our relationship would turn out this way. Some days I struggle with grief. Some days I feel fine, then angry and then still cry about it. I miss our wonderful memories and I wish she had messaged me. It confuses me because she told me at the end of the breakup that I was “ amazing, wonderful partner, unforgettable and loving”. If I was all of those things then why lose me in your life? We never even fought in our relationship either. Feeling lost and need some advice.

blitheSun94 February 1st, 2023

@staceystoro

I completely understand what you're describing here. It's definitely painful when you grow to love and care for someone on multiple levels and don't feel reciprocated. I don't think you need any more time to pass to know that she doesn't value you the way you deserve. I think ghosting someone is one of the worst forms of cowardice. On the other hand, long distance is hard, and I do understand the positive outcome of a clean break, especially if the relationship was toxic in any way.

Feeling grief-stricken by her behavior is a completely normal and valid response. There have absolutely been people in my life who, in all probability, I will never see again - but I don't necessarily love them any less. I do try to glean the lesson being taught to me in those moments, although it is often painful to process. It's okay to cry. Try not to be too hard on yourself and do take all the time you need to heal. I would hate for you to lose your faith in humanity too soon.