Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Gender and clothes

limegreen9775 January 27th, 2022

Hi everyone,

One thing I have been struggling a lot with is clothing. I’m AFAB, and have identified as female my whole life. But I feel restricted by clothing: I hate female clothes most days, but I’m not confident enough to wear mens clothes as I’m afraid of being looked at weird. I hate dressing up, I think because it makes me think about my body and gender. So I just end up in clothes that make me feel and look trashy. I’ve been thinking about prom and I may not even go because I can’t wear a suit and feel horrible in a dress

Has anyone else struggled with this?

WarmLightXO January 28th, 2022

@limegreen9775

Hi Lime!

Thanks for sharing this with us 💜

That makes a lot of sense, and I know is really hard to deal with. You don't feel right in stereotypically feminine clothing, but socially can't wear what you'd like to.

Something that helped me personally with this problem is jumpers. They walk that androgynous line, and could hopefully help ease some discomfort.

Sending warmth 💜🌿

limegreen9775 OP January 29th, 2022

@WarmLightXO,

On the topic of prom… Is a jumper type thing something I could wear to high school prom?

WarmLightXO January 29th, 2022

It really depends on the dress code, but I don't see why not 😊

LonleyCheese February 20th, 2022

So... it kinda sounded like yes you wanted to wear like a suit or something to prom? If you have any guy friends you feel safe with, you could ask to borrow one, and i honestly don't know where that's going but just an idea