Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Understanding Your Gifts and Strengths from the MBTI (Discussion 2)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-
Hello Leadership Crew!

I have just gone through the introduction thread and read about all of you. If you havent yet introduced yourself, then please stop by and share a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Im encouraged by all the great people that have joined. This should be a fun and enriching program!

Let me first zoom back and talk more broadly about your career and how we can help. When you become a leader on 7 Cups, we want you to find the work fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is:

a) work you are good at;
b) work that is interesting to you; and
c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015).

The sweet spot is that blue area in the middle below.

Work Alignment Diagram

If you do work that you are good at, but not interested in, then you wont do a great job. If you do work that you are interested in, but not particularly good at, then it wont be great work. If you do work that you are good at and interested in, but it isnt helping to solve an important problem, then we wont be a good fit for you. We need alignment on all 3 things. We work very hard at the beginning of your work with us to match your inherent strengths and interests with needs we have so that we can work together to solve problems that we all care about.

You have strengths â things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states. As a result, you are much more effective and productive. Operating out of weaknesses is a drain. If you have to do work that you are not good at, then you wont be as effective. Doubling down on your strengths enables you to level up much faster and it helps 7 Cups make much more progress. Â

The next step becomes helping you find ways to identify your strengths, gifts or natural talents. You can learn some of this through self-observation - what do you seem especially good at? Are there things that just come natural to you that are more challenging for others? My wife, for example, is really good at writing; it just comes natural to her. Im pretty good at public speaking, whereas others find it more challenging.

Another way is to ask people you trust. You can say: What do you think Im good at? Or: what do you think are my top 1-3 strengths? Things that stand out to you about me? Note: only ask people you trust because sometimes people can give you feedback in a harmful rather than helpful way especially if they are not trustworthy.

For the purposes of this course, we are going to use personality tests to help you identify your strengths. Some of these are better than others; they are more reliable and have more research behind them. Broadly, we are using them here to help you begin to map out your strengths and to help you find ways where you can naturally excel here on 7 Cups, in your personal life, and in whatever career your are in or choose further down the road.

To start:

Go to this site here and take the test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Â

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Last, when people interact with one another, it makes the course more enriching and it allows us to learn more about one another. In addition to posting in the thread, please also be sure to respond in a helpful and positive way to at least 3 other comments in this thread.

You can also ask any questions in this thread and well respond to them as well.

Very excited to kick this off with all of you!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Train1 June 1st, 2022

@Goalsforlife

I like the terminology 'plan of attack'. I will have to use it. I am similar in this regard. Being reliable is a great quality.

gentleFox20 May 31st, 2022

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

INFP

I've done this personality test before and found it scarily accurate! I thought my recent diagnosis of ADHD might have made it tricky to fit into one of these boxes but nope, it describes me really well! I didn't realise that one of my weaknesses is to isolate myself but it's true, I can find it hard to reach out sometimes and I love my alone time to recharge.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Empathetic - I find it easy to feel for other people and put myself in their shoes. I connect to others easily and can find empathy with a large variety of people and situations.

Generous - I am generous with my time, effort and money. To the point where I feel uncomfortable if I'm not giving something away or at least thinking about it!

Open-minded - I really like this qaulity in myself and others. The ability to change your mind, accept new information and see other points of view is wonderful. It means I can connect with others more easily and it satisifies my curiosity.

Train1 June 1st, 2022

@gentleFox20

Being open minded is very important, especially with the work that we are doing in 7 cups. I thought I was open minded before but I have learned to increase this ability since becoming a listener. It has been a rewarding experience.

magicalOcean594 July 5th, 2022

@gentleFox20

i think it would be a positive and a negative to be able to be too generous with money, but at the same time its also a giving attitude, so that shows me you are a very kind person

PhoenixTears5972 June 5th, 2022

This test is pretty interesting !!

My personality type is Turbulent Campaigner

ENFP-T.

I am Extraverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Prospecting and Turbulent. I embrace big ideas and actions that reflect their sense of hope and goodwill toward others.

I have a diplomat role that focuses on empathy and cooperation, shining in diplomacy and counselling. I have a social engagement strategy where I am restless and prone to very high good or negative emotions. Also I am very curious and willing to work hard .

Chocolate0 June 8th, 2022

Defender ISFJ

What I loved about the character of the defender is that it's supportive, enjoying helping others
then strengths :
supportive
Reliable
Observant
enthusiastic
Glue June 13th, 2022

1. My personality type is INFJ.

2. Upon completing this personality test, I learned that I am not alone in my habit to continue pursuing what I believe is right. It seems to come naturally to me without compromising on flexibility or being open to new perspectives. I always felt quite alone in that decisiveness. But I am not!

3. My first strength is creativity; I see possibilities where others might not. Others might be amazing at coming up with solutions that perfectly fit certain parameters, solutions that fit within a box (and I envy them!), but that isn’t me. My talents lie in thinking outside of parameters and expanding them to fit new ideas. My second strength is being principled; I have a strong set of values and beliefs. I feel a great sense of conviction that may at times come across as stubbornness. But at the same time, to others it is inspiring. My third strength is being passionate—I could never live according to the status quo. I want to experience all there is to experience, the good and the bad. And if chasing my goals and ideals would mean I have to experience all the good and the bad, then so be it. I’m alive for that exact reason!

audienta June 20th, 2022

@Glue

Another INFJ! Even though I got INTJ as a result for myself this time, I completely get the decisiveness part! I am often called stubborn, but when people see me succeed because I pursue following the path that I chose, they suddenly find it inspirational. I think, as long as it doesn't hurt yourself, being consistent, principled and passionate is a big strength!

@Glue

i think its awesome to have a personality that pursues things and just doesnt give up easily!

Ninziesss June 14th, 2022

@GlenM

Advocate (INFJ)

That a lot of my feelings and way of doing things have finally been expained in a way. According to the tests i now realize that its kinda normal how I do things and that they fit my personality.

• Creative – I'm always on the lookout for opportunities to express myself and to think outside the box.
  • Insightful – To be able to understand other people’s true motivations, feelings, and needs.
  • Principled – I tend to have strong beliefs and values, particularly when it comes to matters of ethics.

audienta June 20th, 2022

@Ninziesss

yay, an advocate! I got this result when I did the test some years ago. I'm really happy to hear that the test made you feel understood. You're perfect as you are! Also, I love that you're insightful - I think, that's a wonderful trait!

kenzolena June 27th, 2022

@Ninziesss

it's nice to know that someone is quite simulair to me hehe

Kindhumanity June 14th, 2022

My personality type is Adventurer, one of the main things I learned about myself is that I'm very introverted, and observant. My top 3 strengths are : 3. Feeling- vaules feelings more, and is sensitive. 2. Adventurer- eager to improve and try new things. 1. Observant- observing situations rather than reacting.

Kindhumanity June 15th, 2022

@sunnyLion4273 yes I see your comment, I've always been kinda keeping to myself and avoiding large crowds, that's probably where it comes from, it's nice meeting you too, take care and have a great day :)

audienta June 20th, 2022

Hey @sunnyLion4273

I found it very interesting to read your post - thank you! I think your strengths are a perfect fit for 7 Cups - it needs open-minded, idealistic and passionate leaders here! Also, I love that you're working on your boundaries, that's very important for all of us to keep in mind.

audienta June 20th, 2022

Thank you for this interesting lesson @GlenM!

INTJ-T: Architect

It's the fourth time that I made this test over the years - the first time I got INTJ, the second and third time INFJ (advocate) and now INTJ again. I think that shows pretty clearly that I'm switching between being thoughts driven and feelings driven, based on the situation and my state of mind.

I think being "dismissive of emotions" and "socially clueless" are indeed two of my bigger weaknesses, and I love that on 7 Cups I've been able to work on them a lot. Especially regarding my social abilities, I've already made huge steps since I've started being a listener. The rational way of listening, leading a group discussion etc. that's taught in the trainings has helped me to build trust in my own abilities and enabled me to let intuition play a part in it more and more as the experience grows.

Side note: I love that Friedrich Nietzsche is a INTJ as well.

Curious: I am open to new ideas and will try to understand them as deeply as possible. I love getting into contrarian points of views and explore them as far as I can. The only important thing for me is that the perspective that I'm investigating is based on facts, but since I am convinced that the perception of every human being of the world is fact (which can be changed though, that's what makes it interesting), I can curiously explore other people's opinions pretty non-judgementally.

Determined: If I decide that I want to achieve something, I'll do everything to do so. It can get harmful to myself when I'm too stubborn, but generally I see it as a strength of mine that I won't give up easily. For example, on 7 Cups, this showed off lately, when I managed to turn a troll chat into a meaningful listening session.

Informed: I love learning and if I don't know something or don't know enough, I'll be happy to dig into it. I actually finished all the trainings on 7 Cups before I started listening, just because I wanted to be perfectly prepared and have all the knowledge that I might need.

@audienta

Reading this was really nice, the way you tell your story is very neat to listen to, I'm sure you will grow a lot and that you are a very good listener
audienta June 27th, 2022

@kenzolena

Thank you! Since you're an INFJ, we seem to have some things in common!

CalmWaves3939 June 27th, 2022

@audienta

Hiya Audienta! I am an INFJ-T. I did some research and it says "INTJs and INFJs are both Introverted, Intuitive, Judging personalities, meaning they like to be alone, think conceptually, and keep organized. Their major distinction is in the Thinking/Feeling trait; INTJs base decisions on logic, while INFJs tend to consider the emotions of themselves and others."

This shows we are both very introverted (So yes I am putting myself out there😂) It is lovely to meet you. It is nice to know that we both like our own space and to keep organized. It seems you focus more on logic (I wish I did sometimes 😁)

Thank you for sharing about yourself!

Waves

LoveTracker June 27th, 2022

@GlenM

This is gonna be great. Revealing about one-self, open heartedly.

I am an Assertive Defender- ISFJ

All was expected except the third nature - Feeling. I thought I was never to the emotional side but going with rational side. However, I understand this was me from the result and infact I accept that. I am happy that I go by Feeling trait as its based on others wellbeing.

Being Assertive

Really happy to know this. Cos anything comes by, the courage will be there to face it as it comes.

Being Observant

May be its cos of my this trait that I could really enjoy what am doing in here listening and supporting individuals. Proud to have this quality.

Being Introvert

As they say "Strength in Reserve". Yes, always has something balance with us to use it when and ONLY when required.

Thanks for helping me re-analysing myself.

@LoveTracker

I have learned so much about you from this post alone! I can tell you are open to looking at new ideas when and you are open-minded. Thank you for sharing <3 Nice to meet a fellow introvert 😊

Waves

@LoveTracker

i think its awesome that you have an assertive trait!
thats something that takes alot of time for some people to acheive and im still having trouble with it so the fact it comes natural is awesome!

SparklingSeashells July 11th, 2022

@LoveTracker

Love and agree with what you said about strength is in reserve.

To @GlenM

It was nice to do the test!

My personality type is:

Advocate - INFJ-T

I am a bit introverted, intuitive, emotional and an empathic person who loves helping others and tries to do everything they can to help them and to be there for them. I get sad often and I get sensitive to people's behavior. But I still manage to handle the emotional ups and downs that I have in life..

The main things that I learned about myself is:

I have a unique combination of personality traits, my personality is quite versatile but in all those aspects I am always a caring person and want the best for others, and sometimes trying to help others is getting the best of me as I sometimes feel responsible for their actions or to help them as best as I can

My top three strengths/gifts according to the test:

Altruistic, creative, passionate and insightful.

@kenzolena

Hiya Kenzo! We are the same personality type! Glad to see someone who is as rare and unique as me 💜 I know we can be very introverted so I am glad to meet you :)

@GlenM

1)Personality type: Advocate (INFJ-T)

2) I learned that my traits include: Introverted – 62%, Intuitive – 54%, Feeling – 63%, Judging – 58%, and Turbulent – 90%. I also learned about my role as a diplomat and that my best learning strategy includes looking for constant improvement.

3) My top 3 strengths based on the test and my personality type include the ability to take care of other people and comfort people when they are struggling, the ability to notice patterns, opportunities, and designs where others may not, and the ability to listen to others and put their needs first. I think these are all essential skills for an effective listener as they show the person is able to care and be empathetic towards others while also noticing things that others may not such as a change in the way a person speaks.

WarmLightXO July 8th, 2022

@CalmWaves3939

Hi hi! Your strengths sound awesome for 7Cups <3

@CalmWaves3939

I agree! Great skills for effective listening (:

Sher217 June 28th, 2022

@GlenM

Hey everyone! I'd like to share...

INFJ-T (Advocate)

I learned that while the strengths of an Advocate resonates as being true for me, the weaknesses also are true to me as well. I am mindful to try to counteract these, when possible:

Sensitive to Criticism

Reluctant to Open Up

Perfectionistic

Avoiding the Ordinary

Prone to Burnout

I also learned that the Career Paths section was in alignment with my personal experiences or areas that I have an interest in pursuing (counselors, social workers, spiritual leaders, careers in health care, careers in writing blogs, pursuing music, photography, and design). These all are within the ‘sweet spot’ for me.

The strengths listed for this personality type are:

Creative

Insightful

Principled

Passionate

Altruistic

I think the 3 that resonate with me the most are:

• Creative “always on the lookout for opportunities to express themselves and think outside the box”

• Insightful “seeks out the deeper truths in life”

• Altruistic “want to use their strengths for the greater good”

~ Sher

@Sher217

Hi Sher! I'm one letter off from you (INFP) but this rung true for me as well :p

@GlenM

virtuoso istp-A

I learned about my parenting skill which was freedom within reasonable boundaries.
I learned I am being fairly creative with my ideas as an induvial but in order for me to be a group setting with friendship the idea HAS to come into action
I also learned my romantic relationships are fun adventurous and interesting with sometimes being cold and detaching.

1) optimistic and energetic cheerful and good natured usually willing to go with the flow
2)i am great in crisis moments which if something bad happens i usually know how to act on demand and take charge of the situation
3)flexibility comes with some unpredictability but I am still able to store my energy for another day!

@magicalOcean594

Whoop whoop, these sound like fantastic strengths!

I’m an INFP! I’ve taken this test before, I love personality tests :p I love this line, “Mediators share a sincere curiosity about the depths of human nature. Introspective to the core.” Strengths for mediators include empathy, authenticity, and open-mindedness.

@WarmLightXO

Great line!

Here4good74 August 29th, 2022

@WarmLightXO open-mindedness is definitely a huge advantage. I love personality tests too!

@GlenM

Advocate INFJ-T. Quiet visionaries, serving as inspiring and tireless idealists.

Main things I learnt about myself is that although I may be fairly introverted, get me talking about something deep and meaningful and you've caught my attention and I've got a lot to say!

Main personality traits are introverted, empathetic, insightful.

Aileen1114117 July 11th, 2022

1. INFP-A

2. I am introverted, intuitive, understand other people's emotions and perspective easily, and flexible and spontaneous.

3. I am a kind, altruistic and creative person

blissfulTouch29 July 15th, 2022

My personality is ENFJ. My positive traits are Outgoing, Idealistic, Compassionate, Organized, Energetic, Sympathetic, Authoritative, Communicative, Forward-thinking, Ethical, Dedicated, Warm, Visionary, Humanitarian, and Ambitious. I love helping people. I am very hard on myself and I don't always treat myself as a friend. I also am INFJ because I can be an Introvert and more reserved.

August 22nd, 2022

@blissfulTouch29

I appreciate you, I like your warm energy 😊

blissfulForest7074 August 2nd, 2022

@GlenM

My MBTI personality type is INFJ

I learnt that I have a balance in many of the traits which makes me ambidextrous in many things, and I learnt that my love for details and perfectionism is a part of my personality

My top three gifts would be Creative, Passionate and Altruistic