Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Understanding Your Gifts and Strengths from the MBTI (Discussion 2)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-
Hello Leadership Crew!

I have just gone through the introduction thread and read about all of you. If you havent yet introduced yourself, then please stop by and share a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Im encouraged by all the great people that have joined. This should be a fun and enriching program!

Let me first zoom back and talk more broadly about your career and how we can help. When you become a leader on 7 Cups, we want you to find the work fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is:

a) work you are good at;
b) work that is interesting to you; and
c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015).

The sweet spot is that blue area in the middle below.

Work Alignment Diagram

If you do work that you are good at, but not interested in, then you wont do a great job. If you do work that you are interested in, but not particularly good at, then it wont be great work. If you do work that you are good at and interested in, but it isnt helping to solve an important problem, then we wont be a good fit for you. We need alignment on all 3 things. We work very hard at the beginning of your work with us to match your inherent strengths and interests with needs we have so that we can work together to solve problems that we all care about.

You have strengths â things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states. As a result, you are much more effective and productive. Operating out of weaknesses is a drain. If you have to do work that you are not good at, then you wont be as effective. Doubling down on your strengths enables you to level up much faster and it helps 7 Cups make much more progress. Â

The next step becomes helping you find ways to identify your strengths, gifts or natural talents. You can learn some of this through self-observation - what do you seem especially good at? Are there things that just come natural to you that are more challenging for others? My wife, for example, is really good at writing; it just comes natural to her. Im pretty good at public speaking, whereas others find it more challenging.

Another way is to ask people you trust. You can say: What do you think Im good at? Or: what do you think are my top 1-3 strengths? Things that stand out to you about me? Note: only ask people you trust because sometimes people can give you feedback in a harmful rather than helpful way especially if they are not trustworthy.

For the purposes of this course, we are going to use personality tests to help you identify your strengths. Some of these are better than others; they are more reliable and have more research behind them. Broadly, we are using them here to help you begin to map out your strengths and to help you find ways where you can naturally excel here on 7 Cups, in your personal life, and in whatever career your are in or choose further down the road.

To start:

Go to this site here and take the test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Â

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Last, when people interact with one another, it makes the course more enriching and it allows us to learn more about one another. In addition to posting in the thread, please also be sure to respond in a helpful and positive way to at least 3 other comments in this thread.

You can also ask any questions in this thread and well respond to them as well.

Very excited to kick this off with all of you!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Yougotmyback February 11th, 2021

@warmLove3625 I'm glad you found it interesting. :)

Being reliable helps me to connect with a lot of people on an emotional level as they put their trust on me which is beautiful. A lot of people consider me their friend & I know it takes a lot of courage to open up. It also helps me to know how different people handle different situations. The quality of being observant helps me to pick up a conversation from where I leave it even if it's taking place after years. It's like my bond with people always remains the same as I notice little things about them. I'm forgiving too. It also helps me to be where I'm as I can observe things & understand situations better. Most of the time find solutions on my own too.

Thank you for reading!

KristinHelps March 15th, 2021

@Yougotmyback We got the same or similar results!

Yougotmyback March 27th, 2021

@KristinHelps *High five!* :D

CheeryMango July 10th, 2020

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

ISFJ-T

Well the introvertness didn't come as a shocker to me. I was shocked to see that I am very observant.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

a. Supportive – Defenders are the universal helpers, sharing their knowledge, experience, time and energy with anyone who needs it, and all the more so with friends and family. People with this personality type strive for win-win situations, choosing empathy over judgment whenever possible

b. Reliable and Patient – Rather than offering sporadic, excited rushes that leave things half finished, Defenders are meticulous and careful, taking a steady approach and bending with the needs of the situation just enough to accomplish their end goals. Defenders not only ensure that things are done to the highest standard, but often go well beyond what is required.

c. Imaginative and Observant – Defenders are very imaginative, and use this quality as an accessory to empathy, observing others emotional states and seeing things from their perspective. With their feet firmly planted on the ground, it is a very practical imagination, though they do find things quite fascinating and inspiring.

Yourstruly2000 July 10th, 2020

@CheeryMango all of those go with you really well, i can totally see it, specially supportive. Thank you for your support to the community !!😊

CheeryMango July 10th, 2020

@Yourstruly2000 Thank you too Truly. You are super hel[pful in LSR

JennMarie2 July 10th, 2020

@CheeryMango

I can definitely see these as strenghts of yours!

glisteningEyes July 11th, 2020

@CheeryMango

It's interesting that something on your test shocked you :D

being supportive is an awesome trait :)

Sandson July 13th, 2020

@CheeryMango

The ISFJ personality's altruistic reliability and persistent dedication towards things and people is such a wonderful asset to have. 💖

blissart July 10th, 2020

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

The Advocate - INFJ A

Now i understood why i was always restless and unhappy in my corporate career of 20 years and why am more happy and satisfied now as a healer, listener wanderer and a seeker :)

Creative - feel inspired by the beauty and emotions and nature around me and it helps in my pursuits in photogrphy or playing on musical instrument

Decisive- being of a stable and calm mind even in pressure situations and finding that balance between heart and mind, decision comes easily

Altrustic- being able to seek and explore life beyond materialism , values and ethics and spiritual quests hols more meaning to me than money and fame . It helps me stay on virtuous path

smilingsnapples July 10th, 2020

@blissart Being altruistic is such an incredible trait to have! It's nice to have altruistic people in a materialistic world.

SoulfullyAButterfly July 10th, 2020

@blissart Nice to read your insights, especially as someone sharing the same personality type.

smolecho July 10th, 2020

@blissart

This is definitely a unique personality type! These are super useful skills and I can definitely tell that you have them whenever we talk in TL :P

@blissart

Being a wanderer is great :)

Decisive is a great trait! as for altruisitc... i'm the opposite of you & i'm 'too' altruistic :p

KindMoment86 July 13th, 2020

@blissart These are awesome traits Bliss!

LovetoGod May 11th, 2021

@blissart

Heya. I have got this type of personality too. It's rare but I am happy that there are people with this personality too like me 😃. And moreover I am surprised bcoz I met you as a member what a coincidence 🤩.. It's awesome😊

blissart May 11th, 2021

@LovetoGod

Glad to hear Love, :) hope i could help u a bit in ur other account heart

JennMarie2 July 10th, 2020

@GlenM

This test was so intersting! I always enjoy taking these tests to see my results!

My personality type is "Advocate INFJ-T"

According to the test, I am introverted which I already knew about myself. Things I didn't know were that I am a perfectionist that always needs a cause for certain things, and I burn out easily. If someone were to ask me these questions in conversation, I wouldn't ordinarily say that they were true. But after I took the test, I took a few moments to reflect and I realized that I think that are pretty accurate!

My top 3 strengths:

1. Creative. Basically this is in reference to the way that I approach problem solving! Creative problem solving skills are often used to think of ideas that are not generally in the forefront of the mind!

2. Insightful. This means that I am able to see through peope who are dishonest and/or have bad intentions. I have found this to be true as I am generally very good at spotting those people in life!

3. Inspiring and convincing. This means that when I am speaking or advocating for things that I beleive in or that I am passionate about, others tend to view me as inspiring and convincing toward the point that I am making.

I am so interested to see what everyone else gets as their results!

Yougotmyback July 10th, 2020

@JennMarie2 Niceeee! :)

@JennMarie2 Wow, being inspiring and convincing gives us a lot of ground in our ability to influence people (in a good way, of course, haha).

@JennMarie2

Reflecting on your results and looking at it in a diffrent way is a really good thing to do :)

I have 'very creative' on one of my traits aha

LovetoGod May 11th, 2021

@JennMarie2

Wow 🤩. I have got this type of personality too. It's nice to see other people with having same personality 😃

1. My personality type is a Turbulent Entertainer (ESFP-T)!

2. One aspect of this personality that struck me by surprise was the effect that my environment had on my emotions. Perhaps this is hindsight bias on my part, but I do notice that I get quite tired out in social situations despite being energetic at the beginning. Nevertheless, I see this as a strength! Being more sensitive to social situations has also shaped my ability to gauge the feeling thermometer better and empathize with the people around me.

3. According to this test, my top three strengths are as follows: boldness, practicality, and excellent people skills. I could totally see myself displaying these strengths. For one, I enjoy doing things for myself and letting go; an example of this is me being creative with my appearance! Moreover, despite enjoying the world, I still view it from a practical lens; namely, I try to see things as they are--even if they are difficult truths to swallow. Finally, I find that I can talk to people with ease and my friends say that they see me as a very sociable person! As I mentioned in point 2, this comes as a benefit to my ability to put myself in other people's shoes.

blissart July 10th, 2020

@smilingsnapples

having excellent people skils is a wonedrful quality and much needed in all areas of life

Rebekah July 10th, 2020

@smilingsnapples

Excellent people skills seem really useful!

smolecho July 10th, 2020

@smilingsnapples

We have the same personality type! Interesting that not too many people on here do! :o

@smolecho :000 That's so cool! I'm glad we both have the same personality type!

@smilingsnapples

Having boldness as a trait is awesome :D

smilingsnapples July 11th, 2020

@glisteningEyes Gah!! Yes, I'm very proud of being bold. :-)

LittleBirdie30 July 10th, 2020

Hi everyone! So happy to be here heart

1) My personality type is the Protagonist! The letters are ENFJ!

2) I'm not sure if I learned anything, but maybe just confirmed what I already knew about myself :) I've taken the best before a couple years ago!

3) My top three strengths are tolerance, reliability, and charisma!

Grace8402 July 10th, 2020

@LittleBirdie30

@LittleBirdie30

Hey! I got the same results! A or T tho?

(The blank reply was a mistake🤦‍♀️)

Have a great day ahead! 🎉

LittleBirdie30 July 10th, 2020

@Grace8402 Hi! How do I see which one I am?

@LittleBirdie30

I am not sure but I think it comes with the results. "A" stands for Assertive and "T" stands for Turbulent. Maybe there's a type that is neither assertive nor turbulent. Or maybe both.

LittleBirdie30 July 11th, 2020

@Grace8402 I found out I am Turbulent! What are you? :)

Grace8402 July 11th, 2020

@LittleBirdie30

Oh! I am assertive. 😄

LittleBirdie30 July 11th, 2020

@Grace8402 Would you say you're more confident in yourself than someone who is Turbulent? I read that Assertive is definitely more confident than Turbulent!

Grace8402 July 11th, 2020

@LittleBirdie30

I always thought I was turbulent but maybe not. And I am slowly building up my confidence so I think I am transitioning from turbulent to assertive. What do you think?

@LittleBirdie30

Tolerance is a rare trait to have :)

warmLove3625 February 11th, 2021

@LittleBirdie30

Hi Little Birdie :)

Cool to meet a fellow ENFJ personality type :) Cheers to team playing and being real.

Do you find there are ever moments of genuineness that seem to become problems?

Best of luck on your LDP Journey !