Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #2) Service Leadership at 7 Cups

Heather225 August 6th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Being a leader at 7 Cups takes many forms. One thing every listener has in common is that we are all agents of service. Whether we are taking member chats or we are welcoming a new listener to the community, every unique contribution made by listeners is equally wonderful and valuable.

There are many ways to spend our  volunteer time at 7 Cups. Some of you will choose to focus on member chats and others will choose to be involved with our community programs, or both!  No matter which path, all contributions are considered incredibly valuable and special.

The term  Service leadership  (based on the philosophy of servant leadership, in  which the main goal of the leader is to serve)  can be explained in this way:  "Traditional leadership generally involves the accumulation and exercise of power by one at the top of the pyramid. By comparison, the servant-leader shares power, puts the needs of others first and helps people develop and perform as highly as possible."

Sometimes leaders or community members who help with projects receive high praise for their efforts (and they all deserve it) but this is never to take away or undermine the contributions of listeners who fly a little bit more under the radar. How one chooses to spend their volunteer time on 7 Cups is up to them & we love you all the same!

Leadership - Becoming a Teen Star, Mentor, Mentor Leader or Ambassador.

Weve long said⦠that if you want to be a mentor, be a mentor, eventually youll get a badge. These service leadership roles are incredibly important to the functionality of our community. The individuals in these posts do an excellent job helping to keep our community safe and positive. I am very thankful for them.

One misconception I have heard floating around is that once youre in one of these roles you need to do more, be more, show more, etc. The reality could not be any further from the truth. These roles signify contributions that are currently being made & are not about contributions we hope these individuals will make in the future.

Another way to think about this is - Â if youre accepted to be a mentor leader or ambassador, we will not be giving you more work. Our aim is to honor the work you have been previously/currently doing. In fact, wed love for you to add more self-care to your regular routine. These titles are reserved for successful project leaders & community members who are already involved in community engagement projects and actively making a positive impact. In some cases, we may give you more tools to do your specific projects more effectively.

In this sense, service leadership is simply about where you plan to spend your time. To those of you out there who focus 100% on member chats, we LOVE YOU! To those of you out there who focus on community programs, we LOVE YOU TOO! All of these contributions are equally valuable and important. As a collective  community, our aim is to honor your contributions, no matter where or how they manifest.

In this vein, my hope is that you will remember 3 key things:

1. Self-care - always! Make sure self-care is baked into your volunteer work here

2. Dont take on more than you are able. If you dont have the bandwidth to do something, you owe it to yourself and the community to say no. It is 100% okay to say no. (And if you are asking someone to help you with a project, please do not get upset if someone has to say no.)

3. Remember that 7 Cups is an ecosystem. Every single contribution matters! Â

If youd like to be in a service leadership role, my advice would be:

1. Pay attention to how others are contributing

2. Figure out what gets you excited in the community!

3. Once you have an idea of what gets you excited, dive in! You dont need to have a mentor badge to help out, get involved & start learning.

4. If youre not sure how to get involved, you can chat with a mentor or sign up for listener coaching.

5. Once you feel comfortable with your area of attention, apply for the appropriate mentor track.

-

Questions: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?
How can you become a better "servant' to our community?

Activity: Please reply to 3 of your peers  in this thread with encouraging or supportive words!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

AndyLV June 28th, 2021

@FawkesCare12

Hello!

I liked reading your post, I agree that you can totally be good as a leader by putting all your time and dedication in one thing at a time. That's definitely something that could be very beneficial for me to try since most of the time I like to multitask way too much.

FawkesCare12 August 1st, 2021

@Andyallen Thank you:)
Just read your's. So true about how the right guidance makes a whole load of difference

wonderfulRainbow817 July 5th, 2021

Hi @FawkesCare12, I full heartedly agree that those who are just listeners are just as important! They are our backbone of 7 Cups. Each person's role matters, including those who are just taking member chats heart

FawkesCare12 August 1st, 2021

@wonderfulRainbow817 Yes! I believe they are a lot of silent listeners who just do their thing and and are amazing :) Though we don't often see their names

shallowWater7547 May 9th, 2021

What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

In service leadership the main goal of a leader is to serve. This type of leadership strives to serve others rather than to take control. It focuses mainly on the growth and well being of people and community. All listeners are the examples of service leadership as they provide emotional support, help people feel better when they are going through hard times, dealing with a loss or just need to vent and do not ask for anything in return.

I can be a better servant to the community by becoming a listener or by participating in community programs.

peacefulIris56 May 21st, 2021

@shallowWater7547

I agree. Being in an environment where people can help each other and where people are not subject to control is a supportive environment.

Ethan May 30th, 2021

@shallowWater7547 I love your explanation! And perfect examples of how you can become a servant to the community.

DigitalKnight May 10th, 2021

@Heather225

What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

The idea of service leadership, which i understand, is the one where leaders are there to help everyone grow and achieve success, rather then them growing over everyone and enjoying the pinnacle. Its more like a person watering a plant daily, seeing it bloom, grow.

A good example of service leaders are the mentors. these guys help everyone grow, they share their knowledge, help them in difficult situation and work on new listeners.

The best way to become a better listener is by helping the community around me, improving myself gradually and making sure i am relaxed and fit enough at all times to do my task as a listener

May 22nd, 2021

@DigitalKnight Appreciate your words - "helping the community around me, improving myself gradually and making sure i am relaxed and fit enough at all times to do my task as a listener"

peacefulIris56 May 28th, 2021

@Fristo @DigitalKnight Yes. This is really important. We need to be fit and relaxed enough to do what we need to do. This is a really good point. Thank you for your input.

@DigitalKnight I agree. A supportive environment is where we help everyone grow. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and perspectives.

milkoreos July 15th, 2021

@DigitalKnight

ComradeRuhi August 5th, 2021

@DigitalKnight
I loved the comparison you made to watering a flower, and watching it bloom. I think that's legit the best way to explain service leadership. Totally loved reading your description! I hope to watch you bloom into an outstanding leader as well. I know you will! Best of luck. <3

AliveandAlive January 29th, 2022

@DigitalKnight

Absolutely agree here - Service leadership is about helping each other to grow and achieve together, rather than growing over each other!

mamtasha22 May 11th, 2021

@Heather225

What do you think of the idea of service leadership?

Service leadership is to provide service with love and respect and contributing to the community and being a good role model for those who look up to them

Can you list one example of servant leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

One example of service leadership would be community mentors who are contributing their time to this community and helping train listeners to become their best selves

Becoming a servant leader is all about growing and learning and trying my best I am always open to feedback to learn and grow better and I am not hesitant to ask for help when I need it or take breaks if I feel like it too much for me one can't pour from an empty cup so to become a better servant leader we need to first take care of ourself

LovetoGod May 19th, 2021

@mamtasha22

You have given all answers so beautifully. Well done 😊

@mamatsha22 These are all good points that you make. Love. Respect. Good role model. Helping train listeners to become best selves. Growing. Learning. Trying your best. Open to feedback. Learn and grow better. Not hesitant in asking for help. Take breaks when needed. Take care of ourselves. Thank you for sharing.

lueurspace May 15th, 2021

Questions: What do you think of the idea of service leadership? Can you list one example of service leadership you have seen on 7 Cups?

I like the idea of service leadership. It's more about being of service to others with the leadership role that you hold here in the community. It's about using the resources and tools you have for others and help them grow. It's of being service to others while holding yourself in a position where you are accountable and have the honour to help contribute to the community. I believe everyone is being of some or the other kind of service here, but for service leadership, as the post mentioned the first thing that comes to my mind is - Mentors and Ambassadors.

You must always put self-care first and realize that if you are doing the best for yourself, it's hard to do the best for others. Realize what you can do in the community and instead of expanding that support right away, maximize the minimal efforts you decide to put in. To continue to grow consistently and make sure that the process of your entire listener journey is something you enjoy, not something you are supposed to do.

You can't give your life more time, so give the time you have, more life.

LovetoGod May 19th, 2021

@lueurspace

Wonderful answers. I totally agree with you. And yeah mentors and ambassadors really contribute a lot to the community and they're just awesome people. Moreover love your last answer. You have written so well 😃

@lueurspace Yes. Being a service to ourselves and to others so that we can all grow is very important. And it is important to use the tools and resources available to help others grow. Knowledge and setting examples are tools. And I agree that maximize efforts really helps. Maximizing efforts is an expansion within itself. And it is so important that we enjoy ourselves. Because enjoyment allows us to thrive and it makes the process a lot easier.

May 30th, 2021

Hi @lueurspace! Love how well-written your responses are. Agree with you on the fact that mentors and ambassadors contribute a lot to the community.

BecauseImBatman22 June 25th, 2021

@lueurspace
Space I loved your answer to the first question, you've explained it very well and I totally agree with your words. Also, thank you for highlighting self care, its very important and right, we gotta take care of ourselves before we can care for others in a proper way.

Enbyowl May 16th, 2021

1) I love the idea of service leadership and it’s definitely not something that occurs overnight but with enough effort it will occur. 2)An example of service leadership is listeners helping one another whether it be taking a chat for someone or just helping one another in their listener journey. 3)You can become a better servant to the community by trying to see others perspectives and being a team player. It is also important to be involved.

LovetoGod May 19th, 2021

@positiveTurtles

Great answers. I love your third answer. I totally agree with it that we should respect everyone's perspective and learn and cooperate each other 😊

@positiveTurtles

Yes. It helpful to see and understand other people's perspectives and by being there for them.

magicmango26 March 20th, 2022

@Enbyowl

I also agree that it's important to be a team player! x
LovetoGod May 19th, 2021

@Heather225

1. Service leadership is really a wonderful idea. According to me, service leadership means to serve and help others and moreover contributing to the community at your best level.

2. 7 Cups is a biggest example of service leadership in the world which helps and support people. Moreover, here's are lots of examples of service leadership to see. Listeners,mentors, leaders really help and support to each other and contribute a lot to community. I would like to give example of The Care Team. It's really an amazing team. It supports and help our wonderful listeners in their listener journey. They really care about the listeners and provide them help whenever they need. The members of the care team are wonderful and lovely people. And they're doing a great job. Love to all of them❤

3. I will try my best to serve this community. There are some qualities to be a better servant of this community like-:

1. I will try to spend time as much as I can.

2. I will be caring and compassionate towards my community people.

3. I will give my best in supporting and helping others.

​​​​​​​4. I will give my contribution in the development and growth of the community.

​​​​​​

​​​​​

lueurspace May 19th, 2021

@LovetoGod

Great to see you again here, Love! I really like your answer and I love that you mentioned Care Team! I am a part of it and feels really good to hear that you find it to be amazing. And I definitely think Care Team comes into the conversation especially in terms of being a "service" leadership role! I love the ways you will try to provide service to 7 Cups, great job! Red heart

LovetoGod May 19th, 2021

@lueurspace

Great to see you here again too 😊

And I am glad to know that you are part of the care team. I have applied for it too. And thank you so much for your appreciation❤❤

@LovetoGod

Great to see you again here, Love! I really like your answer and I love that you mentioned Care Team! I am a part of it and feels really good to hear that you find it to be amazing. And I definitely think Care Team comes into the conversation especially in terms of being a "service" leadership role! I love the ways you will try to provide service to 7 Cups, great job! Red heart

LovetoGod May 19th, 2021

@lueurspace

I guess you have replied me two times by mistake lol but it's fine thanks❤

@LovetoGod

aw lol Love, 7 Cups is lagging for me today I thought neither of them got posted xD

Hey, congratulations on applying for Care Team! Glad to have you be a part of it ❤️

LovetoGod May 19th, 2021

@lueurspace

It's fine and thanks❤❤

@LovetoGod

I am glad that you have decided to support others and to contribute to overall growth and development. Thanks.

LovetoGod May 21st, 2021

@peacefulIris56

Yup thanks for your appreciation well I like your answer too 😃❤

May 22nd, 2021

@LovetoGod Your contribution is valuable.

LovetoGod May 22nd, 2021

@Fristo

Aww that's so sweet of you. Thanks❤❤

May 30th, 2021

Hi @LovetoGod! I love how you brought up the care team. They deserve more recognition than they get. Also the color scheme you used for your response post is amazing!

IcicleSnown May 21st, 2021

@Heather225

I think it is a beautiful approach in 7 Cups, because it’s about being selfless. One example of service leadership I have seen on 7 Cups is @anotherfrenchtoast, because she replies to my questions.

How can you become a better “servant” to our community?

I can become a better servant to my community by increasing my awareness power.

@Heather225

I agree that service is a wonderful thing because it allows others to work together in order to achieve a larger common goal.

I have seen this in 7 cups, because I definitely see that it is an academy of people with different roles based on their aptitudes.

I definitely see the servant mentality which is not a good example of leadership. 7cups needs to update that to more modern times. We are supposed to be breaking free from colonialism, not promoting it.

Also, the idea of servant is really incongruent with what 7cups claims to be. We are talking about leadership here. And if we cannot lead ourselves, we definitely cannot lead others

Essentially, leadership is taking care of oneself first and foremost so that person can be vitalized, happy, fulfilled, satisfied, comfortable and safe. That provides optimal emotional wellness and optimal functioning.

With optimal wellness and functioning, we then are able to be there for other people in beneficial ways. And then we set examples. That's what leadership is. Setting examples.

To me, this whole servant idea looks more like codependency to me.

Also, leadership is about taking the lead and challenging existing patterns. In that way, there is more opportunity for growth.

If I ever feel that I have to put others before me, I know that I am not in the right environment and I leave. I have self value and other people need to recognize my value as well.

Nourishment is great.