Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Depression Shift.

reallyoverallofit August 3rd

I had a good day and a half of feeling not depressed but it's on its way out. The current depression is centered around a toxic job. And now my co-worker who is the only sane thing I have where I work is probably leaving. I want to leave. I've been trying to leave. It's like I don't exist to the world. I can't count how many resumes I've put out. They've all been proofed and reviewed. They get past a lot of the initial HR ***. But then silence. Someone on her mentioned a hiring agent. This concept is foreign to me and semi worries me that I'll have to relegate my needs to fit into an agent's box. And my needs aren't crazy, btw. I just want fair pay and a fair schedule for a job I like. That's it. But yea. It's Friday night. I am sad. Thursday, I felt great. Tonight, I feel like just going to bed early. I am already sad again. 

toughTiger6481 August 11th

@reallyoverallofit

It has been awhile maybe you found a new job....

It is hard to be in a place where you feel is toxic and your only bright spot of a co-worker friend may be leaving only intensifies your dislike about the job. 

Job seeking is tough and it can depend on far more then a good resume. Your simple request for a job seems very reasonable but the word fair means many things.   I have found jobs that i liked best were in places i may have never considered before.   

I have used a agency  before and it may not be as applicable everywhere but in the U.S. it is common practice ..... many jobs are temp to hire...... meaning from anywhere from 6 months to 1 yr companies try you out ... (you actually work for agency )... until they Know you can do  the job and all skills on resume you can do  (i can tell you many people  fell short).... if you can fit into the company atmosphere/ culture .   I found it works both ways ......as i found a couple toxic jobs / people  that i could NOT see myself staying past the contract time. 

Attendance was a big thing as well the job i have now the last person only showed up 2/3 of the shifts.... this is a well paid office job .... everyone says the right things or paints a good picture during an interview ..... but fails to live up to the promise. 

So due to the hoops to jump thru ( different laws and requirements)  to fire someone .........trying them out and agency fires them if they do not work out saves companies time and money.  In my area many companies do not advertise and most are just placed with agency .... i hope that helps you understand the process.  just like other items a placement person could tell you what they have available and you can say no thanks if does not fit your schedule/ salary requirements.    

reallyoverallofit OP August 12th

@toughTiger6481 I appreciate the insight. Thank you.