Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

The Importance of Critical Thinking in Decision-making

ChillingRain Sunday

Critical thinking is a skill that has had a profound impact on how I approach problems and make decisions. In the IDG framework, critical thinking is described as the ability to review the validity of views, evidence, and plans. This means going beyond accepting information at face value and instead asking questions, analyzing the sources, and considering different perspectives. 

One of the key moments when I realized the power of critical thinking was during a major life decision—choosing a career path. I felt overwhelmed by opinions from family, friends, and societal expectations. However, by applying critical thinking, I began evaluating the evidence behind the advice I was given. Was it based on current job market trends, or was it rooted in outdated beliefs? I also considered my own interests and long-term vision for my life. This process helped me feel more confident in my decision, knowing it was well-thought-out rather than influenced by external pressures.

In today's world, where we are bombarded with information from various sources, critical thinking is essential. It allows us to navigate through misinformation and make informed choices, both in our personal and professional lives.

Discussion Prompt:

- How do you practice critical thinking when faced with important decisions or overwhelming amounts of information?

- Have you ever applied critical thinking to challenge your own beliefs? What was the outcome?