Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Yoga Practice as Therapy

CoraTealeaf May 5th, 2020

Hello! I do a lot of yoga to help me connect with my body and still my mind. I find that it is one of the best things out there to help me reconnect with the present and become embodied...noticing what is going on in my body and using that to focus me.

I have recently been reading more about how yoga is useful for mental health and started dance movement therapy because I find that any form of movement just makes me feel...joy. A true release from whatever may be haunting my mind.

I wondered how many others have found yoga (or dance/other movement) useful for them in their mental health journeys? How did you first find it? How do you continue to practice? Do you like the movement or the breath more? Or do you like the spirituality aspect?

Looking forward to hearing from some of you :)

Sedtzl1 May 15th, 2020

@CoraTealeaf

i agree

the time I feel connected mind body and spirit the most

otherwise my mind is the most prominent

lovelyWhisper66 May 12th, 2020

@CoraTealeaf Hi there, lovely post! I'm glad you are enjoying yoga so far and finding it beneficial. I myself use yoga as a coping mechansim for stress, anxiety, and depression. It really allows me to unwind and relax. I also find the meditation aspect quite soothing. I sadly do not practice it as much as I want to. I hope to change that soon.

Sedtzl1 May 15th, 2020

Since quarantine I created a little home yoga studio and in loving it!
mat

candle

music

cards of my chosen routines

blankets

pillows

even a tiny space heater to warm the muscles

a little journal and pen to write my thoughts after

I've really added extra touches to make it feel really comfortable. My happy place πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜ŠπŸ§˜πŸ»β€β™€οΈ

btw did you know there is such a thing as laugh yoga? πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚β˜ΊοΈπŸ˜‚

CoraTealeaf OP May 16th, 2020

@Sedtzl1

This sounds amazing! Love the sound of all of your little touches.

Lol yes I have heard of laughter yoga I read about it in a book. It certainly sounds interesting, maybe I will try it one time! Have you done it?

Sedtzl1 May 17th, 2020

@CoraTealeaf

not yet

on the list! 😊