Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Hobbies and Motivation!

MistyMagic March 9th

This is Motivational March and so I wanted to discuss with you about your hobbies and what motivates you to get started!

-ofnJ_Gy-PXYUI5BZ45l1Ws1eRjnj8UyjkeUoitH3vBkgeLrq0SuNUGHLthwxhcpVmMDiUvmuqzguFI7PMLTqpcYxwJQMd7QMOgipjwAsmBWnvvGMeVHOjldtuIb5uFQTMFVqGeQv8wOkR8B3LyA_D8

Often I find it hard to motivate myself and so I might look at doing other things for a while. If I am in a 'hobby slump' and just want to find another project then that is exactly what I do. So often I might have many 'WIP' work in progress.

I also know sometimes I look at all my yarn and knitting needles and groan! I love knitting but sometimes I just want to watch tv! I found my mojo when I wanted a new beanie hat, it was something I could easily knit AND watch tv lol! And, of course I got a warm hat :)

So please take a moment to answer the following questions, of perhaps just read and think about them.

? Could you please tell me how you motivate yourself to spend time on your hobbies?

? Which hobby do you feel motivates you the most?

? Which hobby do you find the most rewarding?

Join the Hobby Zone Team! 

Add or remove from taglist Here @Brahmm @adaptableOcean4193 @Aileen1114117 @AJ1232005 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @beachyone @BelovedMe @butdoesanyonenotice @butterlycow @calmmoon2104 @calmSky3414 @charmingSky5972 @confidentrabbit7311 @CosmicMiracle @DipityEnigma @EchoicEternity @EmotionsListener @FallandWinterPlease00 @hiraxx @Interestingkiwi @interlligentshawzk @intoxfantasy @jujubears @Katieinbloom @LadyOrgasma @Liv125 @Lou73 @LoveMyMoonflowers @lyricalAngel70 @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @Mrunal11 @MunchieTaters @mytwistedsoul @NicholasW @Paisleykaat @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @PurpleLady568 @SerenitysFire @shiningBeauty72 @SleepyShyCat @SmileSravani @SomebodySpicy13 @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @theboymoana @thetoastgod @tidyHickory3283 @victoriousblue17 @warmheartedCamp3360 @WarmLightXO @wisly03 @WorkingitThrough2 @WorriedMagpie

@MistyMagic

Could you please tell me how you motivate yourself to spend time on your hobbies?

I make sure it's coming from a place that isn't doing it for purely any outside reasons like status or material gain.

? Which hobby do you feel motivates you the most?

I think longboarding. Or music/singing/songwriting/playing. Or biking or weaving. Or gaming.

? Which hobby do you find the most rewarding?

Depends. 
MistyMagic OP March 10th

@communicativePond1728

Yes my hobbies vary too. It all depends what mood, time, money, oh lots of variables?

@MistyMagic exactly. :) 💯

MistyMagic OP March 12th

@communicativePond1728 What is longboarding? Sounds interesting, and I agree that material gain can add stress to a relaxing hobby :(

Listening - One Step At A Time!

kamrynk1224 April 2nd

@communicativePond1728

I feel like going to the gym is very motivating because it makes me feel good about myself!

charmingSky5972 March 10th

@MistyMagic

Could you please tell me how you motivate yourself to spend time on your hobbies?

I have to actually be in a productive mood in order to be motivated. sometimes looking up inspo on pinterest helps. whether it's just quotes for motivation what have you.

Which hobby do you feel motivates you the most?

writing

Which hobby do you find the most rewarding?

reading or art

MistyMagic OP March 12th

@charmingSky5972 What do you write about? Does that depend on mood too?

charmingSky5972 April 22nd

@MistyMagic

I like to write poetry about love and loss.

Heather225 March 11th

@MistyMagic

depending on my mood/state of mind it's difficult to just sit down and dedicate time, but i remind myself i literally always feel good about myself when i've gotten to do things simply for the fun of it - and if i accomplish something i'm pleased with then all the better!

MistyMagic OP March 12th

@Heather225  I agree, I think we all suffer from that and it can be difficult. I do find that it helps me relax and wind down if I paint or knit after a day's work.

Tinywhisper11 March 14th

@MistyMagic I like to mix things around, art and crafts is my hobby. But I don't push it. Some weeks I can't do it so I'll do something else. Sometimes I have no ideas or inspiration, I believe if you force yourself, then your hobby, the thing that brings you joy, will become something you don't want to do. Then one day I'll get an idea, then I can't wait to get my stuff out and start on my new picture or whatever I'm making ❤

MistyMagic OP March 22nd

@Tinywhisper11  I am much like that too, it's strange what motivates us, and when we have that drive then work is far easier and more interesting :)

Listening - One Step At A Time! - Written with no AI!

DipityEnigma March 22nd

@MistyMagic

The most important step for me is to not think about it too much and not compare myself to others. I'm an individual with different life experiences and health concerns compared to everyone else; sometimes it's hard to remember this.

In terms of actually getting motivated, if I don't wake up feeling like I have excess energy for once, I watch videos of one of my interests. For example, watching someone play a simplified version of a song on piano/keyboard can be enough motivation.

I find it's important to remember that everyone has their bad days, and sometimes they can last for days or weeks on end. Personally, I just have to ride them out otherwise I will be burning energy I simply don't have.

Voice acting. I enjoy doing impressions, it doesn't require physical activity other than exercising my larynx, and it can increase my mood. Singing is also a favourite of mine, even though I'm not that great at it, and it allegedly releases endorphins which help to lower stress levels, according to studies.

It varies from day-to-day. I prefer to think of all of my hobbies as rewarding so I'm not holding one above the other and using one particular hobby as a crutch. I find this causes me some level of distress when that part of my brain just isn't as into the hobby as I would ideally like it to be. Having the freedom of switching between hobbies at any given moment gives me more freedom and allows me to be less harsh and unrealistic towards said hobbies and myself.

Please note: the above statements refer to myself only. What works for me may not work for you as an individual. I'm giving my experiences freely so others may find some level of inspiration from it.

I hope you all have a wonderful day.

MistyMagic OP March 22nd

@DipityEnigma Great to see you again! I agree with your thoughts too, hobbies should be fun, a pastime, something to pass the time in an enjoyable and hopefully rewarding way.

Voice acting wow! Who do you do? 

DipityEnigma March 22nd

@MistyMagic

Great to see you, too.

I do Minnie Mouse, Mickey Mouse, Stitch, Bobcat Goldthwait (work in progress), and my new favourite is Lois Griffin.

I'm not the best at it, but it brings a smile to people's faces and it makes me happy. Aha.

evieats April 4th

@MistyMagic

Today I did some in-depth planning and vision boarding for motivation. I also read an article on emotional regulation and did a self help guide. I cleaned today and I did something for someone else and I'm proud of me. I reached out for good and I was respectful and I tried. So thank me. I'm going to create a new schedule later and go from there. So my day was good.

MistyMagic OP April 12th

@evieats I am so glad you had a good day, lets hope for many more :)

psychologyloverr April 12th

@MistyMagic My favorite hobby is reading my psychology books! It’s amazing because im reading and learning something that I truely love so I can have more knowledge and help more people! 💜

MistyMagic OP April 12th

@psychologyloverr That is great, did you know there is a Book section here at 7 Cups? https://www.7cups.com/forum/reading/Books_2603/ 

Gettingbettertoday April 12th

@MistyMagic

I do it because my best friend wants to do it.

Which hobby do you feel motivates you the most? None

Which hobby do you find the most rewarding? None. 

KindForest2094 April 18th

I don't have many hobbies so my hobbies are things I actually enjoy quite a lot, so most of the time I get pretty fed up if I don't get to do those hobbies. However, I do have to motivate myself to participate in one of my hobbies since it includes going outside and is in some ways more difficult to complete and so usually I semi-prepare for it so I'm looking forward to it. Though there are a lot of times when I just don't have enough motivation to participate in my hobbies.

Cooking/baking because its easier to do and I have to do it anyway : )

Cooking/Baking , I get food after it.