Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Game Inspired from website. I want your input on this!

NeroBlack August 6th, 2015

With enough input it will be a text based game with plenty of art and animation explaining depression and many other things. mention something you suffer or have suffered from and Ill try to include it. This site inspired me to do it and I think its something that will help plenty of people.

NeroBlack OP August 6th, 2015

This game Will be Made in Unity(3D) and Ill also use Blender and Gimp. The License will have it be open soruce by most chance :)

Update: I decided to add UFPS into this list. It will be used for the character controller and certain systems it comes with and supports.

Update:

After working on it for a while I've decided its going to actually be a 3D First Person Adventure that takes you through the surrealistic mind of a person that is depressed and has many problems in their life.

NeroBlack OP August 7th, 2015

Many basic components and systems are now made. Progress is steady but swift. Get suggestions in quick everyone. I want this game to be just as much yours as mine.

ScreamingForSanity August 8th, 2015

I would say make sure there's stuff that has anxiety, PTSD, trauma.

NeroBlack OP August 8th, 2015

Alright, Ill be focusing on some of these at a very relatable level so people can feel more from the game. Thanks for your suggestion, it really helps.

igetcha August 8th, 2015

Wow this is so inspiring!! Made my day. The 3D day in the life concept would really help people understand depression on a new level. Keep me posted. Btw I'm into game development too & this is 1 of the most meaningful projects I've seen. Keep it up :)

Thanks! Ill keep you updated. If you want me to include anything in it or have any suggestions dont be afraid to comment them.

igetcha August 8th, 2015

Btw gotta say I love how you're involving the group in this. Getting all these perspectives is awesome & not something many people do

Like I said before, I want this to be just as much as the communities as my game :)

Updates:

(Dont post on this section of the thread please)

Update 0.010:

I have all of the systems made and edited to work well with the game, Things currently in it:

•Fully functional character. Moves, Runs, Jumps, Picks things up, Interacts.

•Sanity system, Hit 0% of 100% then you lose and must try again.

•Nice and slick design for GUI and UI

•"Resource" System based off of an ammo system. example: Flashlight<Battery<10 watt hours Flashlight runs at 40 watt hours so after using the flashlight the battery eventually runs out but if you get a new battery you can reload your flashlight and use it again.

•Advanced Sound System. Very good directional sound and footstep sounds.

Many of this is done so fast with the great support of the UFPS plugin for Unity.

NeroBlack OP August 13th, 2015

Update 0.015:

Ive done little work on the game since the last update but ive worked some stuff out. I wanted to make the game open source but with the paid plugin im using its NOT possible BUT I will make all of my custom and 100% self made assets will be available for download for Free, however there will be a package that you can buy, this comes with will come with some bonus items, licensed for commercial but not to sell or give away, but will mostly just be for donation purpose. ugugugug, lets get back to the game, I decided to make the main character female so comment a name I can give her on the Main Character Name Post and not here.
You can sub to my feed, I will post more often on there but with less written and less info most likely.
NeroBlack OP September 1st, 2015

Update: 0.02

I finished up a few systems, made some models, textures and map parts, they are all very high quality. Im sad to say they may not be put to use as this game is being halted and production stopped. For bit more info see the post here thats most recent (of now)

igetcha August 9th, 2015

I really like the sanity system idea. It gives ppl the feel of working through & overcoming depression ect, not just having it. It kinda reminds me of those social story games to help ppl learn to cope. There are a million directions that could spin off this. Can't wait to see where this goes :)

NeroBlack OP August 9th, 2015

I suck at keeping spoilers and secrets when it comes to my own stuff so Ill tell you a bit more on it for the interest. Im going to work on the sanity plenty more and have it where the lower your sanity level is then the more hallucinations you see and the more voices take over your head. These will be very scary, I hope. The voices, murmurs and wispers will constantly switch in the direction of the playerand increase as you lose sanity. Much like this the hahallucinations will increase and at times you will see things and have your screen warp in weird ways. The lower it is the more things you see and the more frequent your screen is modified. I hope the artwork for this part is good for the dark style of the game because a lot of my art and style is based off of Kentarou Miuras beautiful artwork in Berserk and some other work of his.

So after a bit more work we have things that restore sanity, first, completing a 'level' will restore 25% of your sanity (not finished or even started) then we have 'calming items' like self help book, therapy flier, self help tapes, ect. These will restore 10-25% of your total sanity with no real side effects. Then we have 'destroying items' which are items like alcohol or drugs (in this case ill use empty syringes to avoid going too far) these restore 5-20% sanity with a chance to damage your sanity by 5% rather than heal, and these may make your path ahead harder to traverse or alter it where you cant get easter eggs. The easter eggs would be to find 7 chipped tea cups in the game. Each of these may or may not restore 5% sanity (I dont know yet) also drugs and alcohol may be replaced if the site says they dont want me to have them in the game, which Ill gladly accept as my game is associated with the site in a way.

@Laura @KrinktheMellowunicorn @hopefulTree78 gonna tag you guys just so you can see everything and say no or discuss about different things.

hopefulTree78 August 9th, 2015

Love the idea about sanity... BTW you never know, this game can be super hit too! I like how it is going so fast. Best of luck on this project.

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn August 9th, 2015

seems like a pretty interesting project. it could be scary for some people! wasn't there a simpler (maybe text-only) game with similar goals called something like DepressionQuest?

hopefulTree78 August 9th, 2015

maybe something like one lite version which is easy to play and one of the more immersive modes? I suck at games so lite mode seems like a good idea?

Sounds good hopeful tree. And krink, In another thread I mentioned its going to have a splash screen saying the game is 13+, not for the weak of heart and it will warn of scary scenes and anything else in the game.

hopefulTree78 August 10th, 2015

eh I dont really care much about scary things, its just that its a matter of procedure over everything else. :)

good luck

I played a bit of depression quest. About 8-10 minutes and I personally didnt like it. Trust me, its definitely not the same.

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn August 9th, 2015

different and new is good! what did you like and not like about depression quest?

igetcha August 10th, 2015

You don't suck at keeping spoilers. I suck at keeping spoilers lol. I really like how complex the sanity concept is & the screen warping ect. It's cool how the game will be on this site. I bet it could go viral on social media too.

NeroBlack OP August 10th, 2015

Well Its just a fan game and someone else said they might want it on the site if it were good enough. But I wouldn't expect them to as its from an outside source (me) and it might stick out on the site. And also at krink, I dont know, ive had depression and still do have a severe form of it and I didn't feel the game to be relatable or very enjoyable. And I do make a lot of text games.

igetcha August 10th, 2015

It's a good concept that would take the whole day in the life experience to a whole new level. It is tricky to make it relatable & enjoyable. People would play it more if it was enjoyable & relatable. Maybe it might help to also focus on the positive aspects of different conditions eg fearlessness when you're depressed & apathetic or energy from anxiety. Using those things to combat the bad stuff. It's just 1 idea. I don't wanna undermine the message that it's hard. I just wish people would see mental conditions don't make people not as good or worth less as an employee, friend, partner ect. I wish they'd see the positives that come both from having a different perspective & the experience of overcoming it. It would help a lot with stigmas

NeroBlack OP August 11th, 2015

Thats one part of this I want it to be, educational. Like you say there are stigmas. Some people say "oh that lunatic over this is talking to himself and looks like he's on drugs" and would never have a second thought on what they said or wont even imagine a single thing that person is going through at that moment or has been through.

igetcha August 11th, 2015

I hate the druggie assumption the most. Or that any woman who's having a hard time with anything in life must be a player

igetcha August 11th, 2015

This is kinda of topic but might as well get your opinion. Do you think some kinda comedy type vids about assumptions & stigmas would work to spread the message? Not joking about actual conditions, just the misunderstandings & how people get treated for it eg "I'm just gonna tell my boss I'm on drugs. I'd be less likely to get fired than if I told him I have anxiety"

NeroBlack OP August 11th, 2015

I definitely think that would get off if it was well made and produced (assuming its going on YouTube) but I honestly wouldn't expect the crowd of people being overly large. I think if it were persistent you would definitively get a bigger fanbase for this.

Main Character Name.

Comment a name for Her!

Im personally leaning towards Alison, but I think you all could do better :0

hopefulTree78 August 13th, 2015

Is it not possible to sort of enter any name? like, get it from the user? regardless, I think Alison is a great name

I dont know what you mean by that, mind to specify slightly more?

Oh whoops, nevermind, I see what you mean, I read it with the wrong thought in mind. Well I think you saying that is good and its an idea to be tested to see which will work better, but the only thing is I dont really want to waste too much time on this but even more I'm just trying to to pool in some Friends to voice act and I dont want to really waste their times by having them make two sets of voice files for some things. The people I know of I presume to be pretty good and are actually for the majority Singers.

Since this isnt going too well I think we should put up a Poll outside this forum thread.

KrinkTheMellowUnicorn August 14th, 2015

Anima

NeroBlack OP September 1st, 2015

Production Halted.

The production has been halted, this is not my intention or fault, I would really like to make this but laura said she cant give me permission to link the game to the site, honestly I dont feel the project or I was taken seriously.