Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What's your favourite thing to bake?

Moj July 30th, 2017

I love baking!! I don't always have a chance to bake, or the energy, but it's one of my hobbies I enjoy most!
Yesterday I baked two kinds of cookies and then shared them with a couple neighbours and brought my parents a bunch. It was so nice to spend some time baking again and be able to share my treats with others.

My favourite thing to bake are one of the kinds of cookies I made yesterday...Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies. So easy, yummy and to top it off gluten free!!

What things do you enjoy baking most?

wonderousMoon5570 April 22nd, 2020

@Moj

Brownies

AffyAvo July 30th, 2017

I don't do much baking, most of it is around Christmas.

I like doing chocolate chip cookies as they are simple. For some silly reason I also like to try out new things even though it ends up exhausting me and the final results are unpredictable. It's probably the planning stage I actually like best when it comes to new things, deciding what to make, looking forward to doing it.

Moj OP July 30th, 2017

@AffyAvo I do a lot more baking around Christmas time too. There is something almost magical about putting on Christmas music, having a cup of tea/coffee/hot chocolate and making some yummy Christmas treats!

I like chocolate chip cookies too, they're simple and always a crowd favourite!! That's awesome that you enjoy trying out new recipes. You're right though, they can be exhausting. For me it's often because it's not something I am used to making, and not always sure how it's suppose to turn out. I find even when I'm making recipes I know well that at times by the end I'm exhausted, just because my body can't handle it as well as it used to. (My dishes from one of my cookies are still sitting in my sink from yesterday because that happened...lol, but don't tell anyone. Hopefully will get the strength to do them today.)

Where do you find the recipes you want to make? I've got a bunch of "recipes to try" in my pinterest, but have yet to have gotten to most of them, lol!! One day...one day!

AffyAvo July 31st, 2017

@Moj I have some recipe books but I also use stuff online a fair bit. I like skinnytaste although typically for meals, not baking. I like allrecipes when thinking of a particular ingredient and not sure what I want to do. Otherwise just google.

Moj OP July 31st, 2017

@AffyAvo cool, sounds like you've got a bunch of different ways of finding the perfect recipe! smiley
I've got a shelf full of recipe books myself, but I find that I sooner head to the internet than my books, unless they're tried and true recipes from the books that I've used before. wink

SarcastCat12 July 30th, 2017

I love to bake, but I'm not always able to do it. When I can though, I make what I call "Heavens Brownies". They have a freak ton of chocolate, and it's AMAZING๐Ÿ˜‰

Moj OP July 30th, 2017

@SarcastCat12 those sound absolutely delicious!! You've got me drooling here...lol!! Sometimes it's hard to find the time to actually get to baking, but nice when it works to find the time. smiley

awesomeRainbow34 July 31st, 2017

@SarcastCat12

Yasssss, brownies, I made some yesterday and I'm so freaking happy

Moj OP July 31st, 2017

@awesomeRainbow34 yum!!! Share your brownies with us??? laugh Pretty please, haha!!

awesomeRainbow34 July 31st, 2017

@Moj

Yes of course๐Ÿ˜‚, though I'm sure my brownies aren't as good as the cookies you made, which look delicious by the way๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

WifeLife93 August 4th, 2017

@Moj

I like baking cakes the most but I also like baking meringue cookies and on rare occasions puff pastries I fill with a pudding cool whip filling

Moj OP August 4th, 2017

@WifeLife93 that's cool! I've never made either puff pastries or meringues. Are they difficult to make? surprise

WifeLife93 August 6th, 2017

@Moj

Unfortunately, they both can be. With the Meringues I think the baking process is most difficult. Living in Florida somedays it gets very humid/muggy. Trying to adjust the temperature and time can be a pain.

The puffs, their hardest part to me is mixing the dough. You have to mix them (with a mixer, stand mixers work best but this is one mixing by hand doesn't work) for so long in between each egg that's added. Too long or not enough and they won't turn out. BUT, I do recommend if you try making either, if they don't turn out the first time, try at least one more time.

The meringues, my second, third, and I think even fourth batches were tossed. But when they turn out right... YUMMM

The puff pastries I have only had one batch flop. โ˜บ

Moj OP August 12th, 2017

@WifeLife93 haha, thanks for the tips and the encouragement not to give up after the 1st (or 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th) attempts. wink That's great that you've figured the recipes out. I can imagine that the heat and humidity would make it hard to figure out how to adjust. It sounds like you've got some great recipes there that are scrumptious when they work well!!

mellyjel August 4th, 2017

Cake might be my favorite. I haven't baked one in a while, but I would probably enjoy the baking and decorating of it. I guess it's more artistic than things I'm more used to baking!

Moj OP August 12th, 2017

@mellyjel that's awesome that you'd enjoy the baking and decorating! I enjoy the baking part of it, but decorating kind of scares me...I'm not sure why, but I feel like I'll mess it up and no one will want to eat it. surprise I guess that wouldn't be so bad, would mean there would be more cake for me...haha!! I have a friend that enjoys the decorating part very much as well, and her cakes are always beautiful! I definitely think it's a very artistic thing to do, like you said!

mellyjel August 13th, 2017

@Moj Aw, even if you did mess it up, it's still cake, and I would guess a lot of people would still want to eat it, even if it looks a l'il funny smiley

Moj OP August 15th, 2017

@mellyjel haha, true!!

Rebekahwriter13 August 4th, 2017

I currently don't have an oven and I miss it. However I love to bake chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, dark forest cake, and German chocolate anything as long as I can use the pecan coconut icing yum,

Moj OP August 12th, 2017

@Rebekahwriter13 pecan coconut icing surprise that sounds absolutely AMAZING!!! Do you make the icing yourself?
I had almost half a year that I was without an oven as well, so I totally understand. I missed baking so much when my oven was broken. I ended up getting pretty creative with meals (waffle iron omelettes were my favourite creation!) but baking just wasn't possible without the oven, which was sad!! Hopefully you'll be back with an oven again soon!

sensitiveShade5337 August 4th, 2017

@Moj

I love baking food! Lol

i usually bake Nutella brownies with 3 ingredients! Easy and yummy!!

Moj OP August 12th, 2017

@sensitiveShade5337 those brownies sound delicious!! Are you willing to share the recipe with us?? laugh

sensitiveShade5337 August 12th, 2017

@Moj

Sure! I have the link and here it is http://www.kidspot.com.au/kitchen/recipes/3-ingredient-nutella-brownies-3650?ref=collection_view%2Cnutella-recipes :)

Moj OP August 12th, 2017

@sensitiveShade5337 those look really good!!

sensitiveShade5337 August 12th, 2017

@Moj

Imagine the taste. It's more delicious than it looks ๐Ÿ˜œ

chloe678 August 4th, 2017

I love to make cakes :) Especially birthday cakes! I love planning them out and making them special :)

Moj OP August 12th, 2017

@chloe678 that's awesome!! You must be a very creative person. smiley Cakes like that intimidate me so much, but I'm in awe of all the beautiful creations that people make!! It takes a very creative mind and I'd think a very patient person with a steady hand! laugh

Behindhazeleyes August 4th, 2017

Since my mom has Celiac's disease, we use gluten free flour at all times to prevent any mixups. Plus, it's healthier that way!
Hmm, I would have to say my favorite thing to bake is blondes. They yummy like chocolate chip cookies but they have a softer consistency that I crave.

Moj OP August 12th, 2017

@Behindhazeleyes those sound really good!! Would you share the recipe with us? laugh
The peanut butter chocolate chip cookies I made that are in the picture at the top are actually gluten free as well. I just posted the recipe for some people that asked for it, you can find it in my feed in your interested. If you have a hard time finding it on my feed it's also under the #Cookies #Recipe hashtags. smiley

How do you find it is working with gluten free flours? I have found some recipes that work really well, but there have been so many I've made that have turned out horribly, and I've had to throw the whole batch of stuff away. There are the tried and true ones I stick to, but otherwise I haven't ventured to many new gluten free recipes lately.

Moj OP August 12th, 2017

@888Butterfly888 that sounds so good!!! I love pumpkin stuff...haha!! Would that be a recipe you'd be willing to share? laugh And is the bread hard to make?? Lol!

Moj OP August 13th, 2017

@888Butterfly888 nah, mixes often taste just as good, or with gluten free stuff, often better! wink Next time I'm down in the states, I'll have to see if I can find some pumpkin bread mix, I've never seen it here. surprise

Summer77 August 4th, 2017

Banana Nut Bread. It's the first thing I really baked from scratch that turned out and still a favorite. I wish I could make a good bread pudding. I've tried a few times but it's nothing like what my great grandmother made when I was a kid.

Moj OP August 12th, 2017

@Summer77 banana nut bread is so tasty!! It's always nice when you find a recipe that works right the first time, and you don't have to make any changes to it, or adjustments. That's awesome that the first recipe that you ever made from scratch turned out so good, and it's turned into a favourite! laugh
I've never made bread pudding before, but it sounds like your great grandmother had a special recipe...a recipe that I'm sure was filled with lots of love. Maybe someday you'll come across a recipe that is close to hers yet! heart

aimy August 4th, 2017

My favourite thing to bake is an orange syrup sponge cake, but my best recipe is either my oatmeal cinnamon cookies or my vegan banana cinnamon muffins!

Moj OP August 12th, 2017

@aimy what's an orange syrup sponge cake? surprise Can you believe I don't think I've ever had a plain sponge cake...never mind a fancy one like what you're talking about? laugh All the recipes you listed sound really good!!

aimy August 13th, 2017

@Moj it's just an orange sponge cake but you poke some little holes in it and drizzle on orange syrup and leave it to soak in!! really yummy but really sweet! ๐Ÿ˜‹๐ŸŠ๐ŸŠ

KSWQueen August 6th, 2017

i love baking cookies too! Just bought some ingredients and might bake them this week ๐Ÿ™†๐Ÿป really glad cos last time I baked was last year for graduation ๐Ÿ˜…

Moj OP August 12th, 2017

@KSWQueen that's awesome!! So, did you end up doing some baking this past week? If so, what did you bake? laugh
I had absolutely no energy this past week, so definitely didn't do any baking, I'm not even sure if I cooked anything...haha!!

KSWQueen August 14th, 2017

@Moj haha I finally did! made some chocolate chip cookies. But i messed up the ratios so it doesn't taste as good haha. And aww, I hope you'll get to do some baking, or cooking, or even both, this week then hehe ๐Ÿ˜› Oh btw, since there's still some butter left, I'm planning to do more baking, any recommends? ๐Ÿ™†๐Ÿป

Moj OP August 15th, 2017

@KSWQueen that's awesome that you did some baking!! I'm sure even with the ratios not quite right...it was still chocolate chip infused, so it'll have been delicious anyway. wink I've been pretty exhausted, so haven't done much of any cooking or baking this week either....lol. About to eat a salad! I hope on the weekend or next week I'll be a bit less busy, and have more energy and make some good stuff. smiley
Hmm....recommendations, are you looking for something healthy? Or not so much...lol!! Chocolate peanut butter chip cookies are always yummy, or puffed wheat cake!! Or hmmm...maybe some banana chocolate chip muffins? So many options!! Let me know what you decide on! laugh