Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

The Big Garden Birdwatch

Lou73 January 20th, 2023

Are there any keen bird spotters here? Or are you interested in watching, photographing or drawing birds and wildlife?

RINQ2nIW_cZDEvVZ4FBwE_YsGIAigau2kH03480meAdGnGScR4KpOAiTlkAXgrmyCDm6uDTq83XpG9ysY9A7ix0ShvfkSEtbNjizLra_Z11ut1dURaozuNoUkzR_pMWBKmn_ho79e36KRyk09aN2pvQuKltqAZYLiFI_62nF4AJMpFbbfUhDgxvpp93dlQ

[Image of a Robin looking at itโ€™s reflection in a window]

Did you know, in the UK, every last weekend in January, people up and down the country take time to participate in the Big Garden Birdwatch? People are encouraged to spend an hour observing their natural space to watch and count the birds and wildlife in their local area. The public then feedback all of their wildlife sightings to the RSPB.

The RSPB (The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) are a conservation charity, who monitor the status of bird and wildlife populations using the data provided during these surveys. Every bird watch matters and everyone who takes part is taking action to protect birds for generations to come.

To encourage birds into your garden, you can make your own DIY bird feeders using a hollowed out orange half, tying string to hang it and filling it with seeds.

KAQWoz5gAP1OlX1rjH41QvGEwsRkzgwJk0BiWDrYkCSYuLHYoU9zrtZa1PppQMJMFyyNXK4OwTufsDCRzSJ7gU-YozyYEuP_NSs-qK7LOkYneOU_G-NSZv4pZVUKl9OW3U9RhNfxI5DGuSeHMT2a_NgRxJLAJY01qcjV5UqlkUAF1sSaCrM_tbizvtjdww

[Image shows an orange hanging by string, filled with black sunflower seeds]

You donโ€™t need a garden to participate, the birdwatch can be done in a local park or green space nearby. And if you need help with identification, there are lots of resources and ID looks up on Google!

Want to take a fun quiz to find out what kind of bird you are? QUIZ HERE

If you are in the UK, you can find more details about the Big Garden Birdwatch, 27th - 29th January 2023 HERE

๐ŸŒฟIf you are in another country, do you have anything similar that helps monitor the wildlife that you could take part in? Or you could spend some time outside to enjoy the nature around you and take some time to relax and unwind.

๐ŸŒผPlease let us know in the comments if you take part and what you spotted! Or share with us your favourite or rare bird/wildlife spots!

Taglist:@Aileen1114117 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @confidentrabbit7311 @CosmicMiracle @DipityEnigma @EmotionsListener @FallandWinterPlease00 @HealingTalk @hiraxx @Interestingkiwi @interlligentshawzk @jujubears @LadyOrgasma @Liv125 @Lou73 @Meifeng @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @NicholasW @NixiePixieStick @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @SerenitysFire @SleepyShyCat @SmileSravani @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @theboymoana @tidyHickory3283 @Walker7957 @WarmLightXO @WorriedMagpie @help127

Photo credit: Robin - RSPB, Orange feeder: Real Housemoms

Lou73 OP January 20th, 2023

We will be having a discussion on birdwatching and other hobbies in nature in the Hobby Zone room (adult) on Saturday at 2pm, everyone is welcome to join in!

@Aileen1114117 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @confidentrabbit7311 @CosmicMiracle @DipityEnigma @EmotionsListener @FallandWinterPlease00 @HealingTalk @hiraxx @Interestingkiwi @interlligentshawzk @jujubears @LadyOrgasma @Liv125 @Lou73 @Meifeng @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @NicholasW @NixiePixieStick @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @SerenitysFire @SleepyShyCat @SmileSravani @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @theboymoana @tidyHickory3283 @Walker7957 @WarmLightXO @WorriedMagpie @eatingpopcorns @SolitaryBird @PatientImpatiens @Vivkun9 @recliningfate

ReadBooks7 January 20th, 2023

@Lou73 thank you so much! I love the images! I am so far planning to sleep as much as possible tomorrow, but I will try to stop by the Hobby Zone room. I really appreciate!๐Ÿ˜Šโค๏ธ

Lou73 OP January 21st, 2023

Thank you @Help127 Look forward to seeing you! ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿƒ

SolitaryBird January 20th, 2023

@Lou73

Wow! That made me smile a lot, Lou. Thank you! And just last night I happened to be dreaming of a robin. Thanks also for the information in the post - I didn't know that - and for letting me know about the discussion. I will participate. I saw a great *** recently. ๐Ÿ˜‰

SolitaryBird January 20th, 2023

*Parus major - the bird I saw.

Aww @SolitaryBird the Robin in your dream sounds lovely! You're very welcome for the info and looking forward to seeing you tomorrow :) They are such pretty birds!

cloudySummer January 28th, 2023

@SolitaryBird Haha, that automated censor is not into birds a lot...

SleepyShyCat January 21st, 2023

@Lou73

I often sit with my grandparents and watch the birds in their garden. It's surrounded by fields and a small woodland so usually there's a wide variety in what we can spot. It's always fun to do. Some of the more regular birds have some funny personalities ๐Ÿ˜†

Aww @SleepyShyCat it sounds like a wonderful hobby to do with your grandparents :) It sounds like the perfect location for spotting too! hehe that's so cute that you know some of them so well, they obviously like it there! ๐Ÿฆ…

calmAngel5296 January 21st, 2023

Yes! What a fantastic photo! My favorite pastime is wildlife photography, and birds are my absolute favorite.

@Lou73

Ikr @calmAngel5296! I can't take credit though but it's such an amazing photo!

We would love to see some of your wildlife photography here if you'd like to share?

calmAngel5296 January 21st, 2023

I would love to, but unfortunately, all my photos are on another computer, and I will need to transfer them. Keep watching, lol, and I will post the promised photos

@Lou73

No worries @calmAngel5296, we look forward to seeing them :)

teenytinyturtle January 21st, 2023

Ooh, I take part in this every year (: I love doing it, even if I don't recognise some. It's a good activity to do mindfully, for sure!

We often have a green woodpecker in our garden ๐Ÿฆ

That's great to hear @CalmCoral! It really is a lovely activity to do mindfully :) Aww green woodpeckers are lovely and have a very distinctive laughing call ๐Ÿ˜

MistyMagic January 28th, 2023

@Lou73 Its this weekend so I will be out sitting in my freezing cold garden and see what I can see!

Hope others join in! Let us know what you see in this thread :)

Listening - One Step At A Time!

Lou73 OP January 28th, 2023

Aww yay, glad to hear you're taking part @MistyMagic ๐Ÿ˜Š make sure you keep warm!

My garden has been unusually quiet today :( so I'm hoping tomorrow will be better ๐Ÿฆ…

Aloneistand January 28th, 2023

@Lou73

I love birds! I saw a hoopoe in the cold of snow and winter last week here! Im not sure thats the right name but their head pattern was the same. It surprised me why I saw that single one in the snow!

Lou73 OP January 28th, 2023

@Aloneistand

Oh wow Hoopoes are amazing birds! I don't know a lot about them and their migration or habitat preferences as we don't have them here but it sounds very rare to see them in the snow! What an exciting spot ๐Ÿคฉ

Yes, we have something like that, too. It's called 'The hour of the garden birds' (Die Stunde der Gartenvรถgel). It's not in winter, though, but in May, so the migrating birds will be there, too.

The quiz says I'm a blackbird. That also would have been my choice, I like them a lot.

Lou73 OP January 29th, 2023

wow that's really interesting @cloudySummer, thank you so much for sharing that with us. It makes a lot of sense to do it in May to observe the migrating birds ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฆ…

Aww yay blackbirds are so sweet and the prettiest song ๐ŸŽต

SleepyShyCat January 28th, 2023

An image of what my grandparents did to me so I could sit in their garden and keep a bird watch while they sat in the warm ๐Ÿฅถ๐Ÿฆ

putting-on-scarf-randy.gif

Hahaha love that @SleepyShyCat! I can relate and I think I do this to myself now ๐Ÿ˜

calmAngel5296 January 29th, 2023

Here are a few of my bird pics_1675009161.IMGP0876.JPG_1675009187.IMGP5196.JPG

oh wow @calmAngel5296 !! They are amazing photos! Do you know what birds they are?
calmAngel5296 February 1st, 2023

i believe the first is a pine siskin or warbler, the second is a vulture, lol

@Lou73

Lou73 OP February 1st, 2023

Thanks @calmAngel5296, I love the pine siskin! We don't have them here but they look really sweet ๐Ÿฅฐ

calmAngel5296 February 4th, 2023

@Lou73

They make a cute little trilling whistle

Lou73 OP February 13th, 2023

I wanted to share a really exciting weekend of birdspotting here. I went to an area where owls had been spotted so we spent many hours there and managed to see a sleeping Tawny Owl, flying Barn Owls, as well as several long-eared owls and short-eared owls! There were also Buzzards and Kestrels, Hen Harriers and I spotted a Kingfisher at a different location!

One very happy bird spotter ๐Ÿฆ‰

owl-tree.gif

SolitaryBird February 13th, 2023

@Lou73

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! ๐Ÿ˜Š

ReadBooks7 February 13th, 2023

@Lou73 thank you so much! I love that image ๐Ÿ˜Š

calmAngel5296 February 17th, 2023

@Lou73

Lucky you! I love kingfishers, and I have tried for years to get a photo of an owl. I am still waiting.

calmAngel5296 February 17th, 2023

Hello,yellowbrd3-3_1676652204.jpg fellow bird lovers. This is my favorite photo taken with my Pentax K20

MistyMagic February 17th, 2023

@calmAngel5296 so pretty, thanks for sharing

Listening - One Step At A Time!

Lou73 OP February 17th, 2023

@calmAngel5296

I agree that Kingfishers are stunning and owls are definitely difficult to photograph! I only got a few shaky videos taken on my phone through my binocular lens ๐Ÿคฃ

Omg what a cutie! Love the photo, it takes so much patience to photograph birds and wildlife in general

LonleyCheese February 17th, 2023

I don't have a phone or any pictures yet but I like to feed the crows at lunchtime! There used to be just a couple, anywhere from 2-8, but recently there's been about 20 of them! They know exactly what time of day to come and are usually only around during that time, leaving soon after getting their peanuts. I think they recognise me and seem to get a little more comfy each time, hopefully they will warm up to me soon! And they're super pretty, smart, and I like to listen to their calls. Not the prettiest, but zyou can kinda tell which ones are older and what they're doing. The diffrent pitches and all. They also have a system for ike a sequence of calls means one thing, a diffrent one means a diffrent thing. One time, I saw a younger crow skipping instead of the lil walk (if you've seen a crow you probably know what I'm talking about) and it was adorable. I could talk for like two hours about crows, I love them! Even though they're misunderstood a bit.

Lou73 OP March 7th, 2023

That's so cool @LonleyCheese! I love that they know when it's lunchtime!

LonleyCheese April 23rd, 2023

unfortunatly with spring coming around they've suddenly stopped coming as much, and certainly not in the same numbers as before, and without a jacket I dn't really have pockets for the peanuts, but I did see a rather round crow sitting on a line the other day which was very cute

Lou73 OP April 23rd, 2023

@LonleyCheese

Aww no pockets for peanuts :( and there should be a lot more food available now that it's spring. The round crow sounds very funny :)