Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Language Learning

astuteScorpius February 14th, 2018

I've been really trying to buckle down on working on my French. Anyone else trying to learn a new language?

LunaHecate February 14th, 2018

@astuteScorpius if you need help with french, drop me a line :)

Being continental European, i have a few languages under my belt. I'm currently working on Japanese :)

Blaze February 22nd, 2018

@astuteScorpius Kudos for working on learning a new language! Learning languages can be difficult if you're not fully immensed in the new language. So you can look for media on that language (movies, youtube videos, music, books) and even if you understand nothing, your brain will memorize it and it'll become way easier to understand and learn new words, expressions, and so on.

How is your progress going? Would you like to share techniques that you're using to learn French?

astuteScorpius OP March 6th, 2018

@AiluraBlaze

astuteScorpius OP March 6th, 2018

@astuteScorpius

Woops.

I'm using Duolingo app and am talking on a Discord server with someone from France trading French for English! I also talk with the housekeepers at work, many of whom are from Africa and speak French natively. They've been great resources.

caringPineapple67 February 22nd, 2018

Cymraeg

LunaHecate February 23rd, 2018

@caringPineapple67 welsh? Impressive ^^

Booklover95 February 23rd, 2018

@astuteScorpius

Yes! I'm trying to learn french again aswell (I had 2 years in middle school but the teacher was shit) and german.

amarifey June 6th, 2018

I just learned that I am a quarter French and know want to learn French. I will start today with Duolingo.

placidSquare9564 June 7th, 2018

I would love to learn Portuguese

cyanPlatypus6370 September 30th, 2018

@astuteScorpius - Hi! I am also an eager student of new-to-me languages. It often takes me a long time to memorize (and/or remember) the correct word of a new language - in part because I am thinking of the French! I took three and half years of French in school, but that was before university. My college did not offer French :( but I loved learning it and I wish I could learn more ... and practice!!!! Practice speaking, reading, and writing in any new for you language is critical! While I have heard of Duolingo before, I'm not sure what it is. A website? A program you purchase? A class type thing online?

So, best I know English. Second best, ASL - American Sign Language. Third, French :) Fourth and on ... I know bits and pieces of Spanish, German, Italian, and medical terminology (Latin).

But which of these I would really appreciate studying and learning more? FRENCH, more French! :) Platy

Xatharr March 29th, 2022

@cyanPlatypus6370 that’s near that you know so many languages! Since you aren’t sure what Duolingo is and it’s helped me a lot, it’s free, u can use the app or the website, and offers many languages

Xatharr April 2nd, 2022

@Xatharr *neat

just caught that lol

cyanPlatypus6370 June 8th, 2022

@Xatharr - Ah, very cool. I thought it was perhaps only an app and so I had no access to it. But if it has a website ... :) I think there are also some learning language 'courses' (for free) through our public library, but I don't currently know how to access them.

Plus "everyone" here seems to want to learn English. :/ Great if I wanted to teach, but I want to learn! Anyway, I'll have to check out DuoLingo. Thank you :) ~ Platy

Regina2012 October 1st, 2018

I learned German at school but hardly can recall a few words.
I want to refresh my knowledge of this language. And I also wanted to learn another one foreign language.
I haven't decided which one yet. Probably Spanish or Italian.
I like the way Italian language sounds. Have anyone of you ever learned Italian?
By the way, if I learn another one foreign language I think it may be useful for me at work.
I am a freelance writer and I think I will be able to do memo writing in German as well.
What do you think? Feel free to open conversation.

astuteScorpius OP October 10th, 2018

@Regina2012

I've thought of trying to write letters to myself in French to try and stretch m,y vocabulary but I dont' have the first clue who i would take them to for proofreading!

Furaventos October 25th, 2018

@Regina2012

Hi! If you need a hand with Spanish I can help you. Let me know if you need me!

Faithiskeytolife October 27th, 2018

Sure@Furaventos

Snape9 October 23rd, 2018

I quite try to learn Hindi

KindBean2002 October 23rd, 2018

I'm learning my mother tongue better, Urdu!

asheroo92 October 30th, 2018

I

florenraph October 30th, 2018

I'm currently trying to learn Spanish and hopefully Korean. I've found that exposure to it whether it be music or the country where you hear the language being spoken is helpful. I started to learn the alphabet and I haven't learned Spanish since high school.

Furaventos November 9th, 2018

@florenraph @xxlisaaa

Let me know If you want a hand with Spanish, Ill be happy to help you.

LittleSapling717 November 19th, 2018

@Furaventos Thanks! That's nice :)

Heylookadiversion November 5th, 2018

I've been trying to learn Japanese, and it's real fun. Yet, it's real difficult. Any pointers?

Xatharr March 29th, 2022

@Heylookadiversion I’ve also had some difficulty, an app called Kana helps a lot with memorizing Hiragana, and I imagine it probably also helps with Katakana

LittleSapling717 November 5th, 2018

Still wanna continue learning Spanish, but for some reason I keep procrastinating

heysunshine12 November 10th, 2018

@astuteScorpius I want to learn sign languages!

Sunflowerkels November 17th, 2018

Im learning Korean

DinaElwy November 19th, 2018

I am trying to improve my french , but I hope to learn italian , spanish and greek

OfCourse December 28th, 2018

The one language that I've always wanted to learn is ASL. I think it would be awesome to be able to "speak" to someone that can'tcan't hear. I already speak to plenty of people that don't listen!

Furaventos March 3rd, 2019

@OfCourse I attended two years of Spanish SL class and it was great. Nowadays I dont remember but

Furaventos March 3rd, 2019

Sorry. I was saying i dont remember a sign because i had no one to speak and practice. If you have people to talk with, go for it!

cyanPlatypus6370 May 19th

@OfCourse, I might be able to help.  Are you interested?  American Sign Language, dear seven-cups why are you not letting me post ? 

bubbleLemon105 February 3rd, 2019

Hello I am new person on this application/forum i lookbook for people who would like to help me on learning english

DinaElwy February 3rd, 2019

la vie ne donne pas du chances. la vie détruit les chances et brise le coeur.

cyanPlatypus6370 May 19th

@DinaElwy, well I think I got the main point of that.  I must admit though not every word.  :) Platy 

imaginativeStrings5782 March 3rd, 2019

@astuteScorpius i am currently learning Welsh thought i should considering i live in Wales

SiaameezKat March 3rd, 2019

I have so many languages I want to learn. First and foremost, I want to learn Spanish so I can talk to my client's mom. I also want to get back into American Sign Language, because I know my skills are fading. After that, I think French, Italian, Japanese, and Swahili would be fun.

AssistantAnna March 8th, 2020

@astuteScorpius

While this is for school, I'm really putting my all into learning Spanish. There's just something about it that makes me inspired to learn. But I do have class right after a French class and I end up hearing some of the learning material, and I have to say that French sounds like a beautiful language. Best of luck in your learning :)

August 4th, 2020

I'm learing Hawaiian on Duolingo. It's a bit pointless since the natives don't even speak it much, but I think it will be really good for me. I looked over these answers and they are so interesting!