Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Insomnia

morgan1910 September 26th, 2016

Hi, I'm M, I am almost 15, and I've suffered from insomnia since I was three years old. I think it all started because night time meant I had to be isolated, unable to see your surroundings, not knowing what dreams would haunt you. I always slept with the light on as a child, not because I was afraid of the dark, but because I wanted to be able to see everything in the room. I've tried Chamomile, Melatonin, calming scents (Lavender, etc), and prescriptions. When my prescription wasn't working, my doctor suggested that I was ADD based on my descriptions of racing thoughts. I knew it was nothing to be ashamed of if I was, but I can focus if I have to, and I knew it was just not being able to sleep. I can lay in bed with my eyes closed for an hour and not sleep, just tossing and turning. It doesn't matter how early I go to bed; I never fall asleep earlier than eleven (when I'm truly exhausted from school), and sometimes, I don't sleep at all. It's gotten a little better recently, but I think that's because I'm a teenager. So, that's my story, and I'm very happy to be on 7 Cups; you're the most accepting people I've ever known. (: love you guys. <3

Belis September 26th, 2016

@morgan1910

I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with your sleep. It sounds like you tried various medication and natural remedies.

I wonder if you would be open to idea of some CBT based self help. You can find information related to CBt for insomnia (CBT-I) online or maybe you could discuss it with your doctor and see if they can refer you for face to face therapy.

lovingBanana5204 December 6th, 2016

@morgan1910 Aww, I'm glad you've found 7 cups and accepting people. :) I love it here, too. :) It sounds like insomnia has been troublesome for you for a while sad, but that you've tried lots of good methods to counter it. smiley Keep at it, and keep checking in with your doctor when the perscriptions aren't working. I'm glad it's gotten a little better recently -- maybe it'll continue to improve! :)

Also, is there any possibility it's some sort of bipolar? I have a close friend who has racing thoughts and cannot sleep sometimes due to bipolar. Just putting that out there; your doctor knows best.

Hugs <3

morgan1910 OP December 27th, 2016

@lovingBanana5204 actually because of other problems I've been having, I've been looking at this as a possibility, but I don't want to jump the gun and freak out my mother; she's had a rough year as it is. Thank you for your support! I'll keep you guys posted if anything changes. (:

Reyy March 18th, 2017

@morgan1910

I'm sorry to hear about your imsomnia, but I'm also glad to hear that you're on track to recovery due to some solid coping strategies! :)

I hope 2017 has been kinder to your mother and that you've continued to stay on track in the last few months!