Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Congenital Heart Defect Survivor

SailingFox June 27th, 2019

Hi. I have a question for anyone who also has a hole in the heart just like me. FYI I also suffer from anxiety and major depression.

Has your doctor advised you against doing exercises when you have been experiencing palpitations throughout the day for several days from physical exhaustion and also anxiety? 😅 I only take up pilates btw.

Thanks! ❤️

PoliteOcean June 30th, 2019

@SailingFox

Hi there. Welcome to the Healthy Living Subcommunity.

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing these issues and concerns. But its great that you are receiving help and medical advice from a professional healthcare provider!

I know how challenging it can not only be going through a physical medical issue but also psychological issues as well (such as anxiety and depression).. It can certainly be both challenging and difficult to deal with all at once.

I am a nurse ,and while we are of course not allowed to give medical advice, I would say that if you are experiencing physical issues such as "Heart Palpitations" that it can be due to various reasons. I'm not sure what your specific reasons are (if they are related to the hole in your heart or for other reasons?).... or if your doctor has discussed this with you at all? I would certainly advice not going against what your physician has stated if they feel its a good reason to not exercise during this time. Especially since you are having or have been having an "ongoing" medical issue and concern. As I'm sure you wouldn't want to make the condition any worse. Which is probably why he is advising "against" it!

Even with Pilates or any type of "physical" activity, I would still get the "Okay" from your physician to do so just to be sure.

Best of luck to you moving forward!

SailingFox OP June 30th, 2019

@PoliteOcean thanks for taking time out to reply to this! kiss I have been wanting to pay the family doctor a visit, but I've been drowning in work these past two weeks, my workpload has increased which I know is a contributor to the palpitations. I feel very honoured that my superiors have placed so much trust in me, but it's really overwhelming. They are aware of my physical limitations and have been lenient with me, but I have kept my mental illness a secret from them except for my immediate manager.