Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Recipes for Whole Foods Plant-based way of eating

limeWillow670 December 16th, 2016

I wanted to share some of the recipes I make to go along with this way of eating. If anyone has recipes to share please add them or links to them below.

limeWillow670 OP December 16th, 2016

Eggplant Hummus

1 Eggplant weighing between 12 and 18 ounces
cup Tahini
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
3 or 4 cloves of Garlic (weight between .55 to .65 ounces)
1 teaspoon cumin
teaspoon sea salt
teaspoon white pepper
teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon dried parsley

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Wash the eggplant and then remove the stem end.
4. Cut the eggplant lengthwise in half and place each half cut side down on the parchment paper.
5. Using a fork poke through the eggplant skin 12 times on each half. This will allow steam to escape during the baking process.
6. Bake for 40 minutes at 400 degrees.
7. Take out of the oven and let cool until you can handle them, usually 10 to 15 minutes.
8. Take a dinner plate and line it with two paper towels.
9. Transfer the eggplants one half at a time to the plate and using a serving spoon scoop out the flesh from the skin.
10. Let the flesh drain on the plate for 10 minutes.
11. Slice your garlic cloves and let them sit for at least five minutes.
12. Transfer the flesh to your food processor then add the tahini, lemon uice, and garlic to food processor.
13. Process for 20 seconds and scrape down the sides of the processor bowl.
14. Using the feed tube of your processor add the olive oil while processing for another 20 seconds.
15. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then add the cumin, sea salt, white pepper, and paprika.
16. Process for 20 seconds and then taste. Depending on the size of your eggplant you may need to add more cumin or lemon juice but add these ingredients sparingly as the taste of your finished product will change after sitting overnight in the fridge.
17. If you added additional spices process for another 20 seconds and then transfer to a two cup container. Add the dried parsley and stir until well combined.
18. Refrigerate overnight and enjoy the next day with pita bread, crackers, or chips.

Substitutions:

1. You can use fresh parsley instead of dried but make sure that you mince it finely. Start with one tablespoon but dont be surprised if you find you need a second tablespoon to get the desired results.
2. You can use Himalayan Pink salt, instead of sea salt, but I wouldnt use regular table salt.
3. I use Santa Cruz Organic Pure Lemon Juice but you can use fresh squeezed lemon juice. Do not use ReaLemon Juice.

Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Makes Two Cups

1 15-ounce can chickpeas or garbanzo beans
4 cloves garlic - net weight 0.5 - 0.60 ounces
cup tahini
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon sucanat
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
4 Roasted Piquillo Peppers
1/2 teaspoon Sambal Oelek chili paste
1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
1/4 teaspoon red cayenne pepper

Directions

1. Rough chop 4 garlic cloves. Let sit for five minutes then add to food processor.
2. Drain and rinse chickpeas or garbanzo beans. Add to food processor.
3. Add the Piquillo Peppers and lemon juice to food processor.
4. Process for 15 seconds and scrape down the sides. Repeat.
5. Add salt, tahini, paprika, cumin, chili paste, crushed red pepper, cayenne to food processor.
6. Process for 30 seconds and scrape down the sides. Repeat.
7. Transfer contents to container and stir.
8. Refrigerate overnight and enjoy.

I use Ziploc Smart Snap Seal Containers and Lids, Square, Small, 2.5 Cups

Tempeh Salad

8 ounces tempeh
1 tablespoon low sodium tamari
2 celery stalks, finely diced
6 green onions, diced
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon Wakame seaweed, finely diced
2 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon sea salt
teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 cup Tofu Cashew Mayonnaise

1. Cut the tempeh in 8 squares and put in steamer. Add 1 cup of water and steam for 10 minutes.
2. Transfer the tempeh to a small saucepan or bottom of the steamer if using a two part steamer.
3. Simmer the tempeh in one cup of water that has the tamari added for 10 minutes.
4. Transfer the tempeh to cutting board and dice. It will look like tuna fish when you get finished.
5. Transfer the tempeh to a large bowl.
6. Add the celery and onions to the large bowl.
7. Put the Wakame seaweed in a bowl or cup and cover with water to rehydrate. You can use any leftover liquid from simmering the tempeh to do this. This will take about 10 minutes.
8. Transfer to cutting board and finely dice. Add to the large bowl.
9. In small bowl add the Mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, salt, paprika, yeast flakes, garlic powder, and onion powder. Whisk together and pour over contents of the large bowl.
10. Stir the large bowl with a fork or spatula until well mixed.
11. You can serve immediately or refrigerate until needed.

Optional: You can try adding a tablespoon or two of dried parsely or up to 4 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh parsley to the large bowl

Packages of shredded Wakame seaweed can be found in Asian markets. You can substitute vegan mayonnaise for the Tofu Cashew mayonnaise.

Tofu Cashew Mayonnaise

1 cup raw cashews
1 14 ounce package of extra-firm tofu
3 or 4 cloves of Garlic (weight between .55 to .65 ounces)
teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon tahini
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons raw honey
4 tablespoons water
1 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

Preparations

1. Put cashews in large measuring cup or bowl and add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover with three cups of water. Let stand for three hours. Drain and rinse until water in the cup or bowl runs clear. This usually takes three or four rinse cycles. Put cashews in blender.
2. Open the package of tofu, drain it, and cut it up into cubes. Put the cubes into the blender.
3. Mince the garlic cloves and let it set for five minutes before adding to the blender.
4. Add 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt to blender.
5. Place all other ingredients in a Vitamix or other high-powered blender.
Blend until smooth and shiny.

Makes 4 cups. Fill two two cup containers. I think this keeps mayonnaise fresher and makes it easier to get out of each container.

Here's a link to Vitamix blenders - http://tinyurl.com/zh44wtv
They are quite expensive but are worth every penny.

December 19th, 2016

@limeWillow670

Thank you for posting these amazing recipes! I will make sure to try them all! :D

Hope December 17th, 2016

@limeWillow670

Thank You for taking the time to share these smiley

Compassionatelistener108 December 19th, 2016

Thank you so much 😊

Doglover1991 December 21st, 2016

Thanks for the suggestions smiley

limeWillow670 OP December 25th, 2016

Artichoke Hummus

1 15-ounce can of Cannellini beans
1 14-ounce can of quartered artichoke hearts
4 cloves garlic - net weight 0.50 - 0.60 ounces
cup tahini
2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin

Optional Items
teaspoon dried basil
teaspoon dried oregano
2 ounces of fresh or frozen spinach

Makes about three cups

Prep

1) Rough chop the garlic cloves. Let sit for five minutes.
2) Drain and rinse the Cannellini beans. Add to food processor bowl.
3) Drain and rinse the quartered artichoke hearts. Add to food processor bowl..
4) Add the garlic, Cannellini beans, quartered artichoke hearts, lemon juice, and Tahini to food processor bowl.
5) Process for 15 seconds and scrape down the sides.
6) Add the olive oil down the feed tube of the processor while it is running for another 15 seconds.
7) Add the salt, paprika, cumin, coriander to the food processor bowl.
8) Process for 15 seconds and scrape down the sides.
9) Process until the desired texture is reached. I usually go for another 15 – 30 seconds.
10) Transfer the hummus to your container and stir.
11) Refrigerate overnight and enjoy.

If you do not have Himalayan Pink Salt, sea salt can be substituted.

If you use bottled lemon juice make sure it is real lemon juice like Santa Cruz Organic Pure Lemon Juice.

I use a GladWare Entrée Container 3/18 cup for this recipe.

Hope December 25th, 2016

@limeWillow670

lovely recipe . Thank You for sharing

limeWillow670 OP December 30th, 2016

BBQ Jackfruit in slow cooker

Two 20 ounce cans of green jackfruit in water or brine
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups of barbecue sauce
1 yellow or red onion
1 green bell pepper
1 red or yellow bell pepper

I was one of those that had never heard of jackfruit before I came across this recipe. Here's a link for more information - http://tinyurl.com/h5lq5l8

For this recipe make sure you are using green jackfruit. You can find it in cans in asian or international markets. This link shows what the cans look like - http://tinyurl.com/zr2mx3v

When you look at the canned jackfruit it looks hard and white but after cooking on high it will fall apart like pulled pork.

For the barbecue sauce you can use what you want as long as the words "High fructose corn syrup" don't appear in the list of ingredients.

Directions

1. Open the cans of green jackfruit and pour into a strainer or collander and rinse thoroughly. Pour into slow cooker.
2. Peel and dice onion. Put in slow cooker.
3. Seed and dice bell peppers into bite-size pieces. Add to slow cooker.
4. Add at least 1 1/4 cups of barbecue sauce to the slow cooker.
5. Cook on high for five hours.
6. At the end of that time pour the contents of the slow cooker into a large bowl. Use two forks to shred the jackfruit until what you see in your bowl looks like pulled pork.
7. Pour the contents of the bowl back into the slow cooker and cook for two to four hours on low. The longer you cook it the better.

Serve on whole wheat buns or toast with coleslaw or sauerkraut. Potato salad or sweet potato fries also go well with this.

limeWillow670 OP December 30th, 2016

Mediterranean Vegetable Stew
The following recipe comes from this cookbook - The Everything Vegetarian Slow Cooker Cookbook. Here's an Amazon link - http://tinyurl.com/jcgvfdt

INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 eggplant, chopped
1 (15-ounce) can artichokes, drained and chopped
12 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
2 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
4 cups Vegetable Broth (see Chapter 3)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
teaspoon dried oregano
teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon salt
teaspoon pepper

Preparing Eggplant
Some people salt eggplant prior to cooking in order to remove bitterness, but
this step is not required for making delicious recipes using eggplant. The skins can be removed, but this also is not necessary. Eggplants, called aubergine in almost all other parts of the world, can be boiled, steamed, sautéed, stir-fried,deep-fried, braised, baked, grilled, broiled, and microwaved.

In a 4-quart slow cooker, add all ingredients. Cover and cook on low
heat for 4–6 hours.
PER SERVING Calories: 214 | Fat: 6 g | Protein: 6 g | Sodium: 522 mg | Fiber: 8 g |
Carbohydrates: 31 g | Sugar: 12 g

limeWillow670 OP January 8th, 2017

Here's a refreshing shake that is actually quite filling.

Ingredients:

• 1 medium banana
• 6 medium size strawberries
• 1-1/2 cup almond milk
• 2-1/2 TBS almond butter
• 2 TBS Flaxseed Meal
• 1-1/2 TBS blackstrap molasses

Directions:

1. Take the banana and break up into small pieces. Add to blender.
2. Take the six medium size strawberries and remove the stems. Add to blender.
3. Add the almond milk, almond butter, Flaxseed meal, and blackstrap mollasses to blender.
4. Blend all ingredients until smooth.

Makes two serving

o I use MaraNatha All Natural No Stir Almond Butter
o I use Bob's Red Mill Organic Golden Flaxseed Meal

limeWillow670 OP January 8th, 2017

Steel Cut Oatmeal

Ingredients

1/4 cup steel cut oats
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinanmon
1 tablespoon shredded coconut
5 Medjool dates
6 or 8 Walnut halves

Directions

Put 1/4 cup steel cut oats and 1 1/2 cups of water in a 2 1/2 quart saucepan.
Turn the heat up to high until the oats start to boil. Once that happens turn the heat down to simmer.
Cut the Medjool dates in half and remove the pits. Cut the dates in half lengthwise again. Dice the dates into bite-size pieces. Storing your dates in the fridge will make them easier to dice.
Put the walnut pieces on your cutting board and mince to the desired size.
After letting the oats simmer for five minutes, add the dates, walnuts, vanilla extract, cinanmon, and shredded coconut.
Begin stirring the oats to combine all these ingredients. Keep stirring the oats until they reach the desired consistency. This generally takes an additional 8 - 10 minutes.

Use a good quality shredded Coconut like Bob's Red Mill Shredded Coconut or Now Food Shredded Organic Coconut

limeWillow670 OP January 29th, 2017

Hash Brown Waffles

Ingredients
3 cups of shredded hash brown potatoes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
3 tablespoon golden flaxseed meal
9 tablespoon of water

Directions
1. Measure three cups of shredded hash brown potatoes in large bowl. I use the frozen variety, just make sure the ingredients are only potatoes. You can substitute 2 lbs of russet or yukon gold potatoes. Shred the potatoes and then soak in cold water for 20 minutes. Drain the water and use a salad spinner or a kitchen towel to squeeze as much water as possible from the hash browns.
2. You will be making "flax" eggs for this recipe. The recipe is one tablespoon of flaxseed meal to three tablespoon of hot water equals on flax egg. I use hot water the same temperature as when I make green tea. Add the flaxseed meal, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, pepper, tumeric to a two cup measuring cup. Feel free to add any other spices you would like also.
3. Add 9 tablespoons of hot water to the cup and use a fork or small wisk to combine well. Let the mixture stand for three to five minutes to thicken.
4. Pour the contents of the cup over the hash brown potatoes and stir until the mixture coats the potatoes.
5. Heat your waffle iron and cook to your desired degree of doneness. You will need to experiment to determine how many waffles you can get out of this recipe. I have a belgian waffle maker so this recipe makes three waffles.
6. I like to serve mine with ketchup just be sure the brand you use doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup.

Notes
This recipe can easily be doubled or cut down as needed. I find that for each cup of potatoes that you add or subtract you need to add or subtract one flax egg. Be sure to adjust the other spices as needed.

limeWillow670 OP January 31st, 2017

Green Salad with Honey Mustard dressing
Makes two servings

2 to 3 ounces of green or red leaf lettuce
1 Roma tomato
1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon nutrional yeast
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon raw honey
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
2 tablespoons diced daikon
2 green onions
1 carrot, shredded or diced
Pinch or two of kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper

Directions
I'm amazed how many people buy prepared salads when making your own is so easy. This is something that can be made using just one mixing bowl.

To make the dressing
Add the olive oil, honey, vinegar, mustard, and black pepper to a medium size bowl. Whisk till combined. If you have a pepper grinder, fresh ground black pepper is best. I find 12 to 15 twists works for me. If you add the raw honey immediately after adding the oil the honey won't stick to the measuring spoon.

To make the salad
1. Using a digital kitchen scale measure the lettuce. If you don't have a kitchen scale then peel off two or three leafs from the head of lettuce and roll them up together. Using a sharp chef's knife you can dice the lettuce and then gather the lettuce and continue dicing until you reach the desired size. Add to the bowl.
2. Dice the green onions and add to the bowl.
3. If your grocery store has a bulk food section you can buy walnut halves and then put 8 to 10 halves on your cutting board and dice to the desired size with your chef's knife. Add to the bowl.
4. Daikon is a japanese radish that is very good for you health-wise. Check your grocery store or an international or asian market. Cut 4 to 6 rounds of Daikon and then dice to the desired size.
5. Peel the carrot and then either shred or dice. Add to the bowl.
6. Cut the Roma tomato in half lengthwise and dice. Add to the bowl.
7. Add a pinch or two of Kosher salt to the bowl. If you have a salt grinder add a twist or two of salt.
8. Sprinkle the nutrional yeast over the salad.
9. Use a fork or spatula to mix the salad and dressing together.

Enjoy your salad.

Notes
Making the dressing first and then adding the salad allows you to control how much dressing you use.

BridgetAileen February 1st, 2017

These look delicious! I'll have to try some out soon. Thanks for sharing!! heart

limeWillow670 OP February 4th, 2017

Potato Salad
Adapted from "Yukon Potato Salad" recipe found in "The Starch Solution" by John and Mary McDougall

Ingredients
2 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/2 cup Tofu Cashew mayonaise
1 tablespoon almond milk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoon diced red onion
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon Himilayan pink salt
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup green onions
1/2 cup shredded carrots

Directions
1. Finely dice red onion and put in a small bowl. Cover the onion with the vinegar. Cover the bowl and let sit. What you are doing is pickling the onion so you could do this overnight in the fridge if you like.
2. Wash and peel the potatooes. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes and put in a large pot. Add enough cold water to cover them and then bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat to a slow boil and cook them until tender. This should only take 10 to 12 minutes. Be sure not to boil too long or you will end up with potatoes that fall apart when you stir them.
3. Drain the potatoes using a collander and then transfer them to a large bowl. Pour the onion and vinegar mixture over the potatoes and stir gently with a spatula to coat evenly. Let the potatoes rest for 30 minutes.
4. Now it's time to make the dressing. In a small bowl add the mayo, milk, mustard, parsley, and dill weed. Whisk together to combine. Depending on how creamy you like the dressing you may want to add up to 1/2 cup extra mayo. Add salt and pepper to taste and whisk again. Fresh ground black pepper is best. Sit aside.
5. When the potatoes have finished their resting period dice the celery and green onions and add to the potatoes. I find two celery stalks and six green onions work for me. Peel and grate the carrot and add to the potatoes. I find one medium size carrot is all that is needed.
6. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and stir gently with a spatula or fork.
7. You can serve immediately or refrigerate covered for a few hours until well chilled.

Notes
Yukon Gold potatoes have a buttery flavor and color but you could use red or russet potatoes instead.
You may want to substitute shallots for the red onion as they have a sweeter, more mellow taste.
You can use soy or rice milk if you don't like the taste of almond milk
You can use other vegan mayonnaise if you haven't made the Tofu Cashew mayonnaise using the recipe posted earlier.
You can use fresh parsley, instead of dried, but you may need to use a tablespoon. Be sure to mince finely. You could also use fresh dill also.
You can use sea salt if you don't have pink salt.

limeWillow670 OP February 16th, 2017

Sweet Pepper Coconut Corn Chowder
Taken from "The Plantpure Nation Cookbook"

Ingredients
2 leeks
3 carrots
3 garlic cloves
1 jalapeno pepper
2 red bell peppers
1 cup of water
2 cups frozen corn
One 14 ounce can lite coconut milk
3 tablespoons nutrional yeast flakes
1 teaspon sea salt
Two 14 ounce cans chickpeas

Directions
1. Pour the cup of water in a six or eight quart stockpot.
1. Slice and wash the leeks. If you have never worked with leeks before check out this link - http://tinyurl.com/ch8gz3t - Add to the stockpot.
2. Peel and dice the carrots. Add to the stockpot.
3. Peel and mince the garlic. Let the garlic sit for five minutes before adding to the stockpot.
4. Seed and mince the jalepeno pepper. Add to the stockpot.
5. Seed and dice the two red bell peppers. Add to the stockpot.
6. Set the heat under the stockpot to medium high and saute the contents until tender. This will probably take about 15 - 20 minutes. Add additional water if needed.
7. Add the corn to the stockpot. I find a 10 ounce package of frozen corn works for me. No need to measure anything or precook the corn just open the package and pour it in.
8. Add the coconut milk, chickpeas, yeast flakes, black pepper, salt to the stockpot. Simmer for 10 minutes.
9. Put two or three ladles of this chowder in a blender and process until smooth. You may need to add an additional 1/2 cup of water to the blender to make it easier to pour the blended chowder back into the stockpot.
10. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes before serving.

Notes
Brown basmati rice goes well with this chowder.
If you don't like jalepeno pepper you can use chipolte peppers in adobo sauce or leave out the jalepeno pepper entirely and substitute other peppers like hot chili sauce or red cayene pepper.
You can make your own lite coconut milk by taking a regular can of coconut milk and diluting it with equal parts of water.

limeWillow670 OP March 24th, 2017

These recipes come from the Forks over Knives website. I haven't tried any of them but they look interesting.

Thai Noodle Soup - http://tinyurl.com/ltmh33g

No-Fry Fried Rice - http://tinyurl.com/l2qmcp3

Ponzu Noodle Salad - http://tinyurl.com/lr2oqpz

Teriyaki Veggie Crunch Roll - http://tinyurl.com/kru9dmm

Quick and Easy Thai Vegetable Stew - http://tinyurl.com/m5685dk

Dan Dan Mian Noodle - http://tinyurl.com/myunc5z

limeWillow670 OP April 10th, 2017

From the Forks over Knives website.

Fiesta Quinoa Salad - http://tinyurl.com/kwwrhjs

limeWillow670 OP July 28th, 2017

Here's the recipe I followed to turn the onions into liquid gold.

A food processor comes in very handy for this. My old one has a slicing blade fixed at 1/4 inch slices, my new food processor has an adjustable blade that I set at 3/16 inch slices.

I peeled the onions and cut them to fit my processor's feed tube. I think I spent more time cutting them than the processor spent slicing them. I had to empty my processor bowl into a large bowl every two onions. I picked through them and removed any pieces that looked bad.

Once they were all sliced I poured a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil on them and tossed them until the slices looked well coated.

I loaded them into my slow cooker and set it for five hours on low. I gave them a quick stir and set for another five hours on low. Things will be looking good now and smelling good too. What you're left with tends to be rather soupy so now it's time to reduce the liquid.

Set the lid ajar so the steam escapes instead of condensing on the lid and set your slow cooker for four hours on low. Set a kitchen timer for an hour and check your results. Give them a quick stir and set the timer for another hour. Keep going until the liquid is reduced to your liking.

Scoop your results into an ice cube tray and put in your freezer.

Now take a piece of bread and wipe out your slow cooker. Waste not, want not.