Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Walking for Self-care & Health

Disabledfemme September 20th, 2015

So recently I've been trying little things to help my body. Drink more water, sleep more regularly, simple self care things I can accomplish.

One of my main problems is mobility, as I am disabled with chronic pain, and my doctor says I have to keep moving now to be able to keep moving in the future. Basically, the more I walk now the more I get to walk around when I'm older. And I'd love to stay up and mobile for as long as possible.

My dietitian & GP suggested buying a pedometer and tracking my number of steps each day.

Pedometers can be really expensive though, so I searched the Google play app store & downloaded one for my cellphone! It's called Pacer & it seems pretty accurate so far but there were so many and they cater to a lot of different types of people I'm sure.

Yesterday was a good pain day and I did 6,000 steps.. today was a little harder and I did around 2,000.

10,000 steps is the daily goal for a healthy able bodied person.

Healthy Body = Healthy Mind

Who else walks to keep themselves healthy? Who else walks as a form of self care?

Anyone gonna take this up & download a pedometer? wink

EvanHooper September 25th, 2015

Thank you for sharing this post.My mom was facing same problem ,she has consulted lots of doctors for that.But know I think your tips will definitely help us.She was tensed about he hair loss and skin dryness because of that ,so she used to try braid oil for her hair and skin to be healthy.Well I will suggest her to stop everything and use pedometer.Great job dear...

Disabledfemme OP September 25th, 2015

@EvanHooper, make sure she talks to her doctor and asks him for a good goal for herself! 10,000 steps is ONLY for healthy people without pre-existing conditions.

Yesterday, I was only able to do 900 steps even going out for a doctor visit but the doctor said it was good I was walking at all. :)