Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Introducing... 7 Cups Sharing Circles!

Heather225 March 4th, 2020

The CM team has been giving a lot of thought to new ways we can support the community through consistent activities that you can rely on seeing every day. We wanted to try something completely fresh, and Im excited to share what were about to trial!

We are launching a series of open chats called Sharing Circles. These will happen twice a day to accommodate two different time zones.

The most important characteristic of a Sharing Circle is the intention behind it, which is to create an inclusive space where individuals listen to each other, with their hearts rather than their heads. These chats are dedicated to the giving and receiving of support in a turn-based setting where each participant has the chance to share and be heard.

How will it differ from discussions? These circle meetings have a unique structure that is unlike our discussions and open chats. We took inspiration from the brilliant system groups like AA and OA have perfected and used the core elements to create our own reimagining of the circles as it applies to 7 Cups!

Another unique aspect of this chat style is it will mimic the environment of group listening. Instead of talking all at once, randomly, or waiting for the host to finish asking questions, the host will ask each person joining to enter a queue (ex. typing a <3), and everyone will get a turn to speak and share their feelings. This will go on until the queue is empty. Once the person speaking is done, everyone else can offer words of encouragement and praise. (Youll understand how it flows when you attend!).

Who can participate?
Only members can enter the queue. Listeners are welcome to show support, take part in the rituals and reach out to the members later to check on them (highly encouraged!).

How can I get involved?
We will be looking for help with these as they will run twice daily, and on both adult and teen sides, which means 4 opportunities to care for each other each day! And the cool part about this is: if you are a mod, you can lead!!! This event is one we want to be accessible to everyone because this event belongs to everyone. Please contact @ASilentObserver @Hope or myself if you want to be a leader!

Please keep in mind that this a a totally new wild idea, so it's likely that we will be evolving this as we go and learn from all of you!

Look forward to the announcement of our first 7 Cups Sharing Circle in your alerts this week!

RarelyCharlie March 5th, 2020

@Gardenyarn Standard 7 Cups time is US Eastern time. There's a converter for your local time zone here: 7 Cups Date and Time

(The web servers for www.7cups.com appear to be in Oregon, where the time is US Pacific time, but that has no real significance.)

Charlie

DinaElwy March 6th, 2020

that sounds good

amiablePeace77 March 6th, 2020

@Heather225

Great idea!

IIAlexeyII March 6th, 2020

@Heather225

Sounds amazing! Can't wait! :)

soulsings March 6th, 2020

@Heather225

When do the circles start and where will the schedule appear hopefully with an announcement.

JoyHappyNess March 7th, 2020

@Heather225

This is a wonderful idea...

tonydadepressedboi March 8th, 2020

Uh what's this why am I so new

MSedawy March 8th, 2020

@Heather225 That's great idea iloved it

shiningTruth30 March 8th, 2020

This is fantastic and very good for everyone

SkyeWater March 8th, 2020

@Heather225

sounds awesome!! great idea, much love

mellisendis March 8th, 2020

Sounds intriguing!

HallieLove1725 March 9th, 2020

How is everyone doing today?

HotChocolate2 March 9th, 2020

@Heather225 sounds great!

JaytheNinja March 9th, 2020

Quick question- why do these discussions talk about higher powers?

I was going to join but then I saw that and the prayer and decided I wouldn't join since I'm atheist.

Heather225 OP March 9th, 2020

@goldenDog9992

We conduct sharing circles in the tradition of other support groups like Alcohol Anonymous and Overeaters Anonymous. These groups have helped millions of people and we believe they can help people in our community as well. These groups refer to a Higher Power. We use the word Love as love is a neutral term.

"Prayer" is not used in this mantra.

Earthy55 March 24th, 2020

@goldenDog9992 The mantra at the beginning can seem similar to what prayer is. However it does not mention God or a higher power at all. It says "love" which is what we are all providing one another by helping each other through trying times. I am agnostic but I still attend the sharing circles on a fairly regular basis. I assure you that there is nothing preachy about them, only people there to support one another. I do hope you will give it another try and just think of the mantra as a way to get our attention that it's starting and to put you in the headspace to be open to listen and help others within our 7 cups community.

soothingBeauty5158 March 12th, 2020

@Heather225

That's really amazing! , love this !! heart

DaveMcGrath March 13th, 2020

I'm getting a lot out of these circles. They give me a concrete anchor of sorts for me to be here and active and interested at a set time each and every day. More importantly, they make good use out of the Support Room in a capacity that gives multiple people 5 minutes each to vent or speak freely about what might be bothering them.

This is one of those changes that I think will be tweaked or maybe even vastly revised with time as no plan survives contact with the enemy (enemy in this context not be seen as literally the enemy).

I would suggest maybe adding SMART recovery to the list of sources of inspiration as it does not draw from or make any references to higher powers and is a strictly secular organization. I did my facilitator training with them some time ago and find them to be transparent and fairly controversy free organization.

SynSavory March 16th, 2020

@Heather225
Awesome!

kjii March 17th, 2020

good

OpenWindow March 24th, 2020

I caught my first Sharing Circle this week, and it worked very well and the room was really ... well, wholesome! I just had one point of feedback that threw me off a bit. When explaining the chat at the beginning, suggestions are given for responses, such as Sorry to hear that. These are given with abbreviations, so: STHT (sorry to hear that). The abbreviations throw me off a bit, because when I am entering the chat, I see quite a lot of abbreviations that I am not familiar with. Also, it seems less friendly. I believe that in the listener guidelines it used to say not to use abbreviations. (I tried to check the group chat rules, which link to the listener guidelines. This link gives me an error: item removed. So I couldn't check). I suppose it's a conscious choice that was made, and I wonder if it bugged others as well?

DaveMcGrath March 24th, 2020

@OpenWindow

In the context of sharing circles, the plan seems to be trying to ensure that the focus is on allowing the person to share the space to do just that. If we have a lot of questions or longer comments, the sharing gets lost in the mix. Hence the emphasis is on shorter comments in the model that they've provided that don't derail the sharing with questions and other comments that tend to cause a loss of focus.

I attend the evening sharing circle fairly regularly and about the only abbreviation I've seen is, "ODAT" or one day at a time. Have you attended the evening or morning circle?

OpenWindow March 25th, 2020

@DaveMcGrath Hey Dave, thank you getting back to me so quickly! Probably it was the morning routine - I am based in Europe and it was afternoon for me haha. Also, thank you for explaining the reason behind opting for abbreviations! Perhaps the abbreviations are just something to get used to, and the Mod did explain the abbreviations every time a new person started sharing. Perhaps I am alone in feeling this was a bit of a barrier. As long as no one else is bothered by it, I am content :).

DaveMcGrath March 25th, 2020

@OpenWindow

I for one wouldn't object to you using entire words. Though, I'm an English teacher by trade and acronyms drive me bonkers in most use cases. Just try to keep your comments to a few words to ensure you aren't distracting the focus away from the person sharing or distracting the person sharing.

orangeleaf27 April 22nd, 2020

@Heather225 how do I join this?

friendlySalamander8541 April 30th, 2020

@Heather225

Wow this is awesome

Daydreamer071314 July 27th, 2020

@Heather225

I need this.