Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Is it possible to mute a moderator?

Antonio7Cups August 30th

I've seen this question asked and briefly answered in rooms quite a few times, but I certainly think it's best to answer the question and clarify the answer:

To the question: Is it possible to mute a moderator? the answer is: No, it's not possible.

The main function of moderators in a chat room is to ensure compliance with the rules of that room. It's important to remember that each room in 7 Cups has its own specific rules depending on the purpose or topics discussed in each chat room.

So, how could moderators effectively fulfill their duty if they could be muted by anyone? I've made up an example, so that it can be better understood why a moderator cannot be muted:

A Newbie, who is a user who has been in the community for less than a month, starts writing all of his messages in capital letters. As you may know, regardless of the chat room, you cannot write in all caps because this could be triggering for some members/listeners, as among other things, it could be interpreted as you are shouting.

When someone breaks a community rule, they are given two or three reminders before being given a warning, as we believe that sometimes it is less difficult to address things through verbal reminders.

Imagine that the user Newbie had muted the moderator before they started typing in all caps. Well, this would mean that the user Newbie would not be able to see the reminders provided by the moderator, and therefore, since the user Newbie would not notice the reminders, they would continue typing in all caps. In the end, all this would lead to the moderator having no choice but to give them the warning.

However, this would lead to an even bigger misunderstanding, as the Newbie would see on them screen that he had received a warning and would not know why he had received it, as he had muted the moderator and could not see the reminders prior to the warning and moderators cannot customize the texts that appear when a warning is placed, they are predetermined texts depending on the reason for the warning you select.

If you know someone who has this question, don't hesitate to tag them in this post or share the link to the post.

I hope this text has been helpful to you. ❤️

Greetings, Antonio.

(Group Support Teen Star)

Tagging some people I think would be interested in this post: @ASilentObserver @Suryansh @Lou73

@Antonio7Cups

That is a great explanation, thanks for sharing, rockstar!❤

For the unfortunate times, for everyone coming across, it's okay to feel uncomfortable in the presence of certain people sometimes, no matter their designation here, people can have the best intentions and may only be doing their "job" and that might lead them to make decisions that aren't quite favorable to us at times, and that's entirely okay, often (I'd like to hope, for most times) it is not-personal.

We can always catch a break from cupsing, hop to a different room or explore the forums meanwhile. Remember, your wellbeing matters too. 

Ooh and feedback (positive/constructive) for community moderators can be shared via this form. More information here: https://www.7cups.com/forum/groupmod/CommunityModeratorsLounge_2143/CommunityModFeedbackForm_285389/

Group chatrooms are awesome because of *you*.❤

Antonio7Cups OP August 30th

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou 

Thank you so much for this post, Sunisshining. ❤️ You made me the day.

I completely agree with each of the words you posted. In addition, thank you for sharing that link for proving feedback about community moderators. Sometimes, we have a lot of resources we are not able to find because they are lost in the forum.

@Antonio7Cups

Yusss super true and forumland isn't less than a maze at times haha, so bumping helpful resources and letting more people know or reminding them about it can definitely be helpful. I do hope it is. :D

And hey, you deserve to have all your days made. Keep rocking, Antonio!❤

Heather225 August 30th

@Antonio7Cups

ahh a very good question answered and solid explanations supporting it! thanks for covering this

Antonio7Cups OP August 31st

@Heather225 

I enjoy making this resources! The pleasure is mine. ❤️

Lou73 August 30th

@Antonio7Cups

Great post Antonio! Thank you for explaining it so well and giving such a good example :) 

Antonio7Cups OP August 31st

@Lou73 

Good to hear I did a great job! 🎉🎊🤩

Thanks for your words! ❤️