Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Group Support Prompt #5: Elements of Yalom Group Therapy- Here & Now Experiences!

ASilentObserver November 6th, 2023

Hello everyone to Group Support Prompts Discussion! I hope you are all being easy on yourself & reaching out to group chats to get support this week.

Last week we discussed: Elements of Yalom Group Therapy- Recognition of Universality. Thank you to all who participated and shared their thoughts for discussion. I enjoyed them. I hope you all did too. If you didn't share yours, please share them here and I look forward to reading and discussing them with you.

Another important element of Yalom's group therapy is the emphasis on here-and-now experiences. Yalom encourages group members to focus on their current thoughts, feelings, and interactions within the group, rather than solely discussing past experiences. By doing so, individuals can gain a deeper understanding of their patterns of relating to others and develop new ways of relating that are more adaptive and fulfilling.

This week's prompt: Think about the people you have encountered in your life. Who has left a lasting impression on you? What was it about them that made them stand out? Was it their kindness, their intelligence, or their unique perspective on life? Reflect on the impact they have had on you and the lessons you have learned from them.

Take a moment to reflect on it and share your experiences. I look forward to hearing and discussing with you all!

Join the Group Chats today! 

teletubbies-big-hug.gif

Tinywhisper11 November 6th, 2023

@ASilentObserver after I was rescued I was in hospital recovering for quite a while, one of the nurses there would sit with me alot, she had a way to keep me calm, she was so nice to me. She would tell me stories about all sorts of things, she always wanted a daughter named Lola ❤ I didn't have a name, just a number. So I chose the name Lola ❤❤

although I will never forget all the nurses, and doctors and so many who helped me. But this nurse just became very special to me, when I was well enough to leave the hospital, she gave me this little glass cross, with the words 'God loves you' on it. I keep it in the little table beside my bed, it's my most cherished possession

thank God for the kindness of strangers ❤❤

Tinywhisper11 November 6th, 2023

@Tinywhisper11 the words God loves* you

ASilentObserver OP November 6th, 2023

@Tinywhisper11 It sounds like that nurse provided you much comfort and care during a difficult time in your recovery. Choosing the name Lola helps carry her kindness with you always. How meaningful it must be to have that small glass cross as a reminder of both the nurse's compassion and God's love in your life. You have clearly come through a challenging experience, and I'm touched by both the support you received and your gratitude for those who helped you heal.

KatePersephone November 6th, 2023

@ASilentObserver
Think about the people you have encountered in your life. Who has left a lasting impression on you? What was it about them that made them stand out? Was it their kindness, their intelligence, or their unique perspective on life? Reflect on the impact they have had on you and the lessons you have learned from them.

January of 2023 I encountered a guy that was friends with an ex-friend of mine, and about a month later we started getting closer. What mostly impressed me was how smart he was, how honest and how all of his knowledge and opinions on various different things were based off objectively researched statements and not based on what 'everyone else' thinks.

KatePersephone November 6th, 2023

@KateDoskocilova he taught me to not blindly trust people and have strong opinions on things without having looked at the situation from all angles